Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The United States House Judiciary Committee, chaired by Republican Jim Jordan, today sent subpoenas to the CEOs of major tech companies ordering them to share information on their content moderation policies, reports The Wall Street Journal.

house-judiciary-committee.jpg

Subpoenas for documents and communications were sent to Apple CEO Tim Cook, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, and Amazon CEO Andy Jassy. Curiously, the panel left out Twitter CEO Elon Musk despite the fact that Twitter is one of the most popular social networks.

U.S. House Judiciary Committee Republicans plan to investigate whether the federal government "colluded" with tech companies to "suppress free speech" on issues like COVID-19. Republican lawmakers have long suggested that social networks and tech companies engage in anti-conservative bias by suppressing conservative voices.

In an announcement of the subpoenas, Jordan said that the House Judiciary Committee has "attempted to engage" with Apple, Amazon, Meta, Microsoft, and Alphabet since last year, but has been unsuccessful.

Apple and the other companies will need to provide documents and communications with the U.S. government on topics that include moderation, deletion, and reduced circulation of content by March 23.

Article Link: U.S. House Judiciary Committee Subpoenas Apple for Info on Alleged Free Speech Suppression

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I just think it's funny that if there was evidence of Apple suppressing liberal/progressive speech... Gym Jordan wouldn't give a DAMN.

East Palestine, Ohio is turning into Chernobyl and this is what we're focused on.

I hate it here lol. ("Then leave!" Nah.)

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
There's a difference between free speech and hate speech
No, there isn't.

I hate pineapple on pizza, and I have every right to say it. If I go to physically assault people who put pineapple on pizza, then I should be locked behind the bars, because I have no right to hurt others physically just because I do not like what they do with their food.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
he
What a waste of our resources. We could be investing in better care and protections for veterans, crafting legislation to prevent using AI for abusive practices, introducing better consumer protections, and so much more.
this exactly - what republicans get a little bit of power what do they do N O T H I N G. Hunters Laptop, this crap etc... and HOW is this going to help every American

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
“U.S. House Judiciary Committee Republicans plan to investigate whether the federal government "colluded" with tech companies to ‘suppress free speech’ on issues like COVID-19.”

I think we’re all agreed that, for example, there is no legal right to promote actual snake oil as a cure for cancer, no?

Then there also is no legal right to promote either Ivermectin nor bleach injections as a cure for human viral respiratory infections.

The scary part is that people so woefully ignorant of basic physiology have positions of power within our government. I don’t know what the cure is for that kind of stupid when it infects society to such an extent.

b&

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
No, there isn't.

I hate pineapple on pizza, and I have every right to say it. If I go to physically assault people who put pineapple on pizza, then I should be locked behind the bars, because I have no right to hurt others physically just because I do not like what they do with their food.

What'd I miss? You stated there's no difference, and then juxtaposed free speech and violence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.