Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I suggest you do a little more research on the vaccine, and side effects, deaths etc. But clearly your mind is made up as is mine. Just one question, I see you list you have 2 kids. Did you get them vaccinated?
Yes I did. Only one of them died. My wife got crocodile skin and I can now attach keys and spare chains to my shoulder, but apart from that nothing.

No. Bad jokes aside. I know at least 50 people who got the shot(s). Basically everyone I know did. None had any other side effects than perhaps mild fever/headache for a day, which is to be expected from any vaccine.

That’s not to ignore the relatively few cases of severe/fatal side effects. But they are few. Eg myocarditis. But you know what else can cause that? Viral infections by eg covid-19.

I did actually do the effort to go through an extract from the VAERS database and the results were mostly amusing. Like: I got the shot and my dog died two weeks later. Or when I am around people who got the shot it disturbs my period.

Both the strength and weakness of that database is that anyone can write anything to it. So that there are suddenly 1000’s of records after the vaccine rollout is expected. Most of it is correlation without causation.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
If this is successful, I would hate to see failure.

Yes, you would:

1683056067668.png

PrecisionGem

Suspended
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
Yes I did. Only one of them died. My wife got crocodile skin and I can now attach keys and spare chains to my shoulder, but apart from that nothing.

No. Bad jokes aside. I know at least 50 people who got the shot(s). Basically everyone I know did. None had any other side effects than perhaps mild fever/headache for a day, which is to be expected from any vaccine.

That’s not to ignore the relatively few cases of severe/fatal side effects. But they are few. Eg myocarditis. But you know what else can cause that? Viral infections by eg covid-19.

I did actually do the effort to go through an extract from the VAERS database and the results were mostly amusing. Like: I got the shot and my dog died two weeks later. Or when I am around people who got the shot it disturbs my period.

Both the strength and weakness of that database is that anyone can write anything to it. So that there are suddenly 1000’s of records after the vaccine rollout is expected. Most of it is correlation without causation.
I guess we will have to agree that Trump did a great job pushing the development of the vaccine! A total success. All the reports I have seen and testimony by people I know must just be that damned misinformation.
I'm glad you had no bad outcomes from the shot, and hope you continue to get boosters, I would hate for my stock portfolio to go down as people shy away from the shots. Get one in each arm! Double up your protection.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I guess we will have to agree that Trump did a great job pushing the development of the vaccine! A total success.
Sure!

All the reports I have seen and testimony by people I know must just be that damned misinformation.
Exactly! More to the point, testimony by people you know may or may not be true. And it certainly can't be extrapolated to hundreds of millions of people.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Here’s a thought experiment. Give 10 mio people a harmless vitamin pill and tell them it’s some new drug we’re testing. Give them instructions on reporting any possible side effects in VAERS. Then you’ll see the same reporting pattern in VAERS as after the vaccine rollout. 1000’s of reports on nearly anything that can happen to a 10 mio population.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I guess we will have to agree that Trump did a great job pushing the development of the vaccine! A total success. All the reports I have seen and testimony by people I know must just be that damned misinformation.
I'm glad you had no bad outcomes from the shot, and hope you continue to get boosters, I would hate for my stock portfolio to go down as people shy away from the shots. Get one in each arm! Double up your protection.
I don’t get boosters. If you bothered to read my posts you will see that it covid mutated to something far less harmful because it only attacks upper respiratory system which basically puts the severity somewhere between flu and common cold.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I don’t get boosters. If you bothered to read my posts you will see that it covid mutated to something far less harmful because it only attacks upper respiratory system which basically puts the severity somewhere between flu and common cold.

Improving significantly, for sure, and hard to know what's happening in the very recent time period, but I wouldn't broadly rank covid severity below flu yet.

1683057646813.png

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Posting charts and data is ultimately useless in these types of conversations. You can't reason someone out of a position they were not reasoned into.

Reactions: ninecows

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Posting charts and data is ultimately useless in these types of conversations. You can't reason someone out of a position they were not reasoned into.
Not that any of this back and forth matters. The truth always wins against propaganda... ALWAYS.

PrecisionGem

Suspended
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
Well if you consider the head of the CDC as the spokes person for the CDC, then they certainly did.

Also your favorite president made the claim.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Well if you consider the head of the CDC as the spokes person for the CDC, then they certainly did.

Also your favorite president made the claim.

Your own videos admit that they were wrong and the claims were immediately walked back. She did not mean to imply 100% efficacy.

Also, please stop making up stuff about people you respond to.

PrecisionGem

Suspended
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
Wow, you really are captive to a concept. What may look like immediately walked back in the video is because the video was made after the statements by the CDC director and president. The corrections were not immediate.

This could plainly be seen back then by going into any Costco. Suddenly very few people were wearing masks, they were not washing down the shopping cart grips with wipes. Smiles everywhere. It took a month or more before people woke up and realized either they, or others they knew were getting Covid, and the masks came back on.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Wow, you really are captive to a concept.
Again, please stick to the topic and stop making stuff up about people you respond to.

What may look like immediately walked back in the video is because the video was made after the statements by the CDC director and president. The corrections were not immediate.
Your own video says the CDC responded in a few days with clarification when if became evident that people were interpreting her comments as 100% effectiveness. Again, she did not intend to imply 100% efficacy. No vaccine is. Pretending that's what she meant is silly. She should have certainly chosen her words better.

But this is you just changing the topic again to avoid admitting that you are wrong. A mistake during an interview that was officially corrected is hardly evidence of an official CDC position.

This could plainly be seen back then by going into any Costco. Suddenly very few people were wearing masks, they were not washing down the shopping cart grips with wipes. Smiles everywhere. It took a month or more before people woke up and realized either they, or others they knew were getting Covid, and the masks came back on.
Ah. Another unverifiable anecdote.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Tell me again, what exactly am I wrong about?
Practically everything you have posted about the COVID vaccine.

But in today's conversation, you were wrong to imply that the CDC was lying based on a statement that CDC director made during a live interview that she obviously didn't mean as interpreted and later clarified through official statements.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Exactly. Like the truth that the shot doesn't stop the spread, or even prevent you from contracting Covid. When the CDC told us would, the lied.
That’s where you get things wrong. When science “changes its mind” it is not because scientists are lying to you. They have just learned something more. Great example is the age of the earth. Initially it was estimated to be 200 mio years. Based on whatever knowledge we had back then. Then new discoveries are made and the age is adjusted. Maybe new evidence is presented tomorrow that will adjust if a few 100 mio years.

So once in a while politicians or like here the head of CDC rely on scientists knowledge and will convey it to the masses. In that process, details and disclaimers are typically removed to make the message more clear. Is that lying?

Last edited:

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Basically this is the difference between deliberately withholding or distorting information to deceive people OR just stating what is the current knowledge, but not including all the disclaimers and uncertainties.

Is the guy doing the weather forecast also lying? They’re running 100’s of models each day and they’re then presenting the most likely outcome to you. Sometimes they’re wrong and it might be model 78 (out of 300) that was right. Do you want them to tell you about all 300 scenarios every day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.