Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What if their products are not able to be repaired though because everything is glued together? Would that mean Apple has to rethink how they are building things?

Every try to repair a vehicle's ECU? Where the circuit board is potted (filled with an adhesive making it a solid block) and costs more than most phones?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I agree...but, what if that aftermarket battery is not to correct spec and can't handle the OEM device the rate of recharge or discharge....Li-Ion batteries will over heat can potentially catch fire....ala Samsung.
And a la Apple

Reactions: RiddlaBronc

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
This is why more education regarding right to repair is needed. Above is the average person’s reasonable assumptions. This video is the reality.

This is why this stuff is needed. Apple is a complete disgrace. People on here taking Apple’s side are insane, or have a lot of Apple stock and no morals.

Also proves that Apple’s fake concern for privacy is nothing but a marketing campaign because when they want customer information they consider all data theirs to use as they please.

Last edited by a moderator:

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Aftermarket airbag makers don't have to worry about any of that.

OEM airbag makers are perfectly capable of making dangerous airbags themselves.

I was just being practical. there are things and equipment that users should just go to a professional.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
This is just silly. If you can’t bother to get certified in the repair you‘re doing, you don’t have the right to be in business.

I’d like the government to stay out of this, personally. If it’s just a question of who has access to parts, I’m less bothered, but if it forces design changes on Apple the we all suffer.
Do you know what the requirements are to be "Certified" to be a repair technician?

Reactions: ouimetnick

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Why make rules for 10% of the population when 90% of batteries don't have problems?

• What if the charger overheats and causes a fire?
  • What if the USB cable shorts and destroys the device?
  • What if someone opens up the phone and chews on the battery?
  • What if...
We don't need rules to protect against every possible outcome.

Simple. Apple is not responsible or obligated to repair the device.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Every try to repair a vehicle's ECU? Where the circuit board is potted (filled with an adhesive making it a solid block) and costs more than most phones?
Potting the circuit boards are to protect them from weather environment and vibration as a some of them are mounted externally, under the hood. So, if it was not potted, how many people would have any idea how to fix them. There are shops that do repair them, as the dealers send them out for refurbs too.

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2015
So, I took my wife's old iPhone in for a repair. Broken screen and a battery, very simple. Didn't go to the Apple shop, but to a cellphone repair shop in a mall. "Fix It Here" or something like that. While I was there several people came in with screen repairs. Ok, come back in two days. A couple of days later the "new" battery expanded, trashing the phone. We aren't even talking about maintaining the same level of waterproof protection that you would get from an Apple Store repair. The phone was sitting in a drawer as a backup. This was plain and simple shoddy repair job by an independent repair company. So, I would be opposed to the new FTC rules on right to repair. Making the warranty longer, that's a terrific idea, but that's not the real tradeoff. The real tradeoff is your new phones, constrained to be easy to repair by the small person who has easily just started his own repair shop (like there's no other way to create value?), are just not going to be as good as they could be.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Do you know what the requirements are to be "Certified" to be a repair technician?
That's the point, If you are not willing to go through the process to become certified and you should not be allowed to do it and depending on what field it is, your "non certified" lack of knowledge could get someone killed. Not just talking phones here.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
If there is a way to keep real Apple parts as a part of the repair without the insane costs, I am interested.

Reactions: Yammabot

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't know why any user of Apple products would be against right to repair. There's two choices here:

- You want to repair your own stuff: You support right to repair.
- You only trust Apple to repair your own stuff: Right to repair doesn't affect you at all.

Everyone is free to take their Apple products only to Apple if they want. Repairing yourself is an OPTION, just like sideloading apps would be an OPTION and also shouldn't be so damn controversial.

Stop sucking up to a trillion dollar company like you owe them something. They don't care about you.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
So, I took my wife's old iPhone in for a repair. Broken screen and a battery, very simple. Didn't go to the Apple shop, but to a cellphone repair shop in a mall. "Fix It Here" or something like that. While I was there several people came in with screen repairs. Ok, come back in two days. A couple of days later the "new" battery expanded, trashing the phone. We aren't even talking about maintaining the same level of waterproof protection that you would get from an Apple Store repair. The phone was sitting in a drawer as a backup. This was plain and simple shoddy repair job by an independent repair company. So, I would be opposed to the new FTC rules on right to repair. Making the warranty longer, that's a terrific idea, but that's not the real tradeoff. The real tradeoff is your new phones, constrained to be easy to repair by the small person who has easily just started his own repair shop (like there's no other way to create value?), are just not going to be as good as they could be.
I also had an awful experience with an independent shop. They were able to break my screen, and make the phone a brick. Then they denied the phone even turned on before I brought it to them.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Potting the circuit boards are to protect them from weather environment and vibration as a some of them are mounted externally, under the hood. So, if it was not potted, how many people would have any idea how to fix them. There are shops that do repair them, as the dealers send them out for refurbs too.

I know why they're potted, thanks.

Point was to show long-accepted scenario in which something expensive is very difficult to repair due to being glued together, and thus perhaps Apple wouldn't necessarily have to cease the practice.

Reactions: subi257

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I don't know why any user of Apple products would be against right to repair.
I am not sure anyone is against right to repair. However the question must be asked: at what cost? What's the opportunity cost of making things more repairable? What's the damage to the Apple brand? How is it going to affect secondhand market? etc.

Reactions: deeddawg

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
If Samsung already offers consumers a superior alternative, what’s the problem here?

Because Samsung doesn't offer consumers Apple parts?

You're suggesting consumers switch from Apple to Samsung just to get parts? Like if we used this logic to everything why push for better health care in country x if country y that borders it offers better health care already? - Why make auto maker X make their cars safer when auto maker Y already has the best safety rating.

Why make clean drinking water come out of our taps if we can just buy bottled at the store?

When the real question should be, why are we letting companies create a culture of disposability become the norm when we could just tweak laws to force them to make available replacement parts to whomever wishes to purchase them.

At current I know some repair stores are having to buy already assembled phones and computers just to harvest the parts for repairs. Why should this be necessary? - Just let them buy the parts, Apple already sells entire computers to anyone with money, why not do the same with the individual components so we and repair shops can easily make repairs ourselves.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I don't know why any user of Apple products would be against right to repair. There's two choices here:

- You want to repair your own stuff: You support right to repair.
- You only trust Apple to repair your own stuff: Right to repair doesn't affect you at all.

Everyone is free to take their Apple products only to Apple if they want. Repairing yourself is an OPTION, just like sideloading apps would be an OPTION and also shouldn't be so damn controversial.

Stop sucking up to a trillion dollar company like you owe them something. They don't care about you.

What about “Fake replacement parts start causing fires and no one can tell which products have been repaired and which haven’t, so airlines don’t allow Apple products onboard”?

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
This is just silly. If you can’t bother to get certified in the repair you‘re doing, you don’t have the right to be in business.

I’d like the government to stay out of this, personally. If it’s just a question of who has access to parts, I’m less bothered, but if it forces design changes on Apple the we all suffer.
I don’t see why this would force design changes. Rather, the crux of this is that if something breaks in your device, you should be able to replace it (or the assembly that contains it) using genuine parts, tools, and guides from the manufacturer. So if your NAND storage died, you’d likely be able to replace the logic board and not the NAND chips themselves if you so chose, and Apple would still be able to offer its repair services — at competitive prices.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
This is a mess in the making. Some things, some items, they are not going to be consumer friendly to fix. What makes them works is the ministration and compact nature of the device. A tractor is one thing. An AirPods something else. The dems are killing me pursuing this kind of crap...ugh.

Repair shops already exist and provide a valuable service. Their main problem is not dealing with the compact nature of the device, it’s dealing with the litigious nature of Apple. This law is about addressing Apple’s disgusting treatment of legal small businesses. Of course Apple could simply not act like complete *****, but they’ve turned down all opportunities to do so willingly so now legislation is required.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
You do realize you can just take your phone to Apple for repairs, right? Why would you be against right to repair? You don't HAVE to take your phone to an independent shop that's not trustworthy. Take it to an Apple authroized service center, which has to work with Apple for approval, or Apple themselves.

If you take your phone to Uncle Joe's House of Phone Fixings and have a bad experience that's not Apple's fault, it has nothing to do with right to repair laws, it's on you.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
As a former Apple Certified Macintosh Technician, we didn’t really “repair” anything. We swapped defective “modules” like bad logic boards, top cases, display assemblies, ram modules, etc.

I’d like to be able to perform board level repairs. I do board level soldering (both SMD and through hole) at work under a microscope. I’d like to be able to purchase the custom proprietary amplifier IC used in the HomePod or the custom proprietary charging controller IC used on a Mac and solder it in myself (and also be able to have access to service manuals to properly diagnose and repair friends and family’s machines)

The service manuals I have (Macs up until 2012) are just troubleshooting and instructions on how to take the machine apart. No board level schematics or BOM for any sub assemblies. I have all that information for my audio equipment including gear that’s as new as 13 years old. Why can’t I have board level schematics for the iPod Hifi for example? The official “service guide” from Apple is just troubleshooting information and it says to send it in for replacement.

I have a full exploded parts list for my Mazda, Mercedes and Saab. I can figure out the part I need and buy it online from a dealer or from a local dealer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.