Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Sony PS4 Agreement. Interesting read. See further how some of the ideas that people on this forum are seeing as non-standard are pretty much standard contract language. A couple of key points:
1) Publisher(developer) needs to keep records for auditing by Sony.
2) Physical can be distrubuted anywhere. Digital can ONLY be distributed via the Sony store.
3) Fees will be charged on all sales: physical or digital.

Thanks for looking at this.
I wonder if the fact Sony is a Japanese (has a US business headquarters) conglomerate would have any affect if this goes against Apple and expands from there?

Maybe that should be a sub thread though…

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I don’t understand why this always becomes a discussion about the App Store.

I like the App Store. I think it’s a great resource for iPhone users. It makes it easy to find new apps, which have gone through at least some semblance of an approval process. When I install an App Store app, I know that it’s (extremely likely to be) safe.

It’s just that, sometimes, I’d also like to be able to install apps from outside the store. Choices are good.

No one is getting the App Store taken away from them. It’s how users are used to installing apps, and it would still be the default on every iPhone. There would be tremendous incentives for developers to list their apps in the App Store.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don’t understand why this always becomes a discussion about the App Store.

I like the App Store. I think it’s a great resource for iPhone users. It makes it easy to find new apps, which have gone through at least some semblance of an approval process.

It’s just that, sometimes, I’d also like to be able to install apps from outside the store. Choices are good.

No one is getting the App Store taken away from them. It will still be the default on every iPhone. Consumers are used to using it. There will be tremendous incentives for developers to list their apps there.

A very well reasoned post.

The issue for many people here seems to be that they think (and Apple is helping them mistakenly think this) it will open the door to iOS suddenly becoming some dangerous malware ridden virus infested hell hole.

Apple is muddying the situation on purpose as they really don't want to lose their iron grip on all iOS App revenue.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Apple is muddying the situation on purpose as they really don't want to lose their iron grip on all iOS App revenue.
The funny thing is, I don’t even think they’d loose significant revenue! 99% of users would still get their apps through the store. Just ask Epic how well Fortnite did on Android before they caved and put it on the Play Store.

If I was Apple, I would enable sideloading tomorrow just to get everyone off of my back. I’d bury the switch deep in Settings and throw up a scary warning message. A government mandate could potentially require the process to be easier than this; better for Apple to get ahead of things and do it on their own terms.

Last edited:

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
The funny thing is, I don’t even think they’d loose significant revenue! 99% of users would still get their apps through the store. Just ask Epic how well Fortnite did on Android before they caved and put it on the Play Store.

If I was Apple, I would enable side loading tomorrow just to get everyone off of my back. I’d bury the switch deep in Settings and throw up a scary warning message. A government mandate could potentially require the process to be easier than this; better for Apple to get ahead of things and do it on their own terms.
It's kind of a lose-lose preposition for Apple. If sideloading is a total dud, then all the companies screaming "monopoly" will keep on litigating. Most of them don't even have an issue with the Store per se but with Apple's commission. So in that scenario, Apple gives up control and won't even gain any goodwill. Alternatively, sideloading does take off, and Apple's App Store exclusivity ends. That would be a disaster (for Apple's 20%+ YoY services revenue growth).

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Sure, but their legal argument will be weaker.
I mean, Epic is currently suing Google over the Play Store, and the Open App Markets Act targets both Apple and Google, although it would obviously affect Apple more. The thing is that regardless of the theoretical arguments in favor of sideloading (and there are many!), the Coalition for App Fairness and their allies are not fundamentally motivated by some high-minded belief in user control or evading censorship. They're motivated by money. What they actually want is access to the reach of the App Store without having to pay Apple. If they can get that through third party stores, great. If not, they'll just keep arguing that Apple is a monopoly because distributing outside the App Store is non-viable.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Epic does just fine on its own without any "reach" of App Stores

I think they'd be thrilled just by not having to get bent over the barrel by Apple honestly.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
If not, they'll just keep arguing that Apple is a monopoly because distributing outside the App Store is non-viable.
Anyone can argue whatever they want regardless of what Apple does. Apple’s job is to make it harder for them to sway courts and lawmakers.

Epic does just fine on its own without any "reach" of App Stores
Not on Android! They launched on Android as sideload-only, but ultimately had to list on the Play Store because they couldn’t get users to install it otherwise. (Now, of course, they’re sideload-only again due to the whole lawsuit thing, but that’s a calculated loss.)

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Not on Android! They launched on Android as sideload-only, but ultimately had to list on the Play Store because they couldn’t get users to install it otherwise. (Now, of course, they’re sideload-only again due to the whole lawsuit thing, but that’s a calculated loss.)

I stand corrected!
Sounds like Apple should get on with it and enable sideloading to me..

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
I stand corrected!
Sounds like Apple should get on with it and enable sideloading to me..
I understand that you personally want it, but if it doesn't take off it's not going to help Apple fight monopoly accusations. If it would, why is Google getting in trouble too, when Android has had sideloading since day one?
There are other concessions that Apple could make (stopping anti-steering provisions, for one) that would be far less "extreme" so to speak, and would actually meaningfully improve things for CAF.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I understand that you personally want it, but if it doesn't take off it's not going to help Apple fight monopoly accusations. If it would, why is Google getting in trouble too, when Android has had sideloading since day one?

Not sure - I haven't followed Google version of this at all

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Not sure - I haven't followed Google version of this at all
Well, while the case against them is weaker, they are being targeted as well. And that's because, as Epic found out, distributing outside Google Play isn't actually a viable method for reaching users. That being the case, if Apple merely opened up iOS to sideloading as an option buried deep in settings for tinkerers, while it would be a welcome addition, it wouldn't fundamentally change their legal situation. They would still have gatekeeping power and would still have developers fighting them over their commission. They have no incentive to do it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Well, while the case against them is weaker, they are being targeted as well. And that's because, as Epic found out, distributing outside Google Play isn't actually a viable method for reaching users. That being the case, if Apple merely opened up iOS to sideloading as an option buried deep in settings for tinkerers, while it would be a welcome addition, it wouldn't fundamentally change their legal situation. They would still have gatekeeping power and would still have developers fighting them over their commission. They have no incentive to do it.

Is the third party app stores not a "thing" on Android?
That would seem like the solution, particularly for someone like Epic who has license to lots of stuff they could market.

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Is the third party app stores not a "thing" on Android?
That would seem like the solution, particularly for someone like Epic who has license to lots of stuff they could market.
There are third party app stores, but they are either:
1) Included by the carrier or OEM and have a subset of apps already available in Google Play
2) Serve some niche audience such as FOSS, or the Chinese app stores
The stores also don't get access to some of the APIs the Play Store does

There is no viable way of mass distribution of commercial software on Android without Google Play. Hence, Google wields nearly as much power is Apple does.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yknow, the small developers could just sell their apps directly from their website. They’d be saving around 27% in fees.
Small developers only pay 15%.

As I've said before, this whole push is about billion dollar corporations trying to get a piece of a trillion dollar corporation. They're simply framing it as being about the little guy to gain support.

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Because alternative App Stores don’t work. If they did…
Well, duh. Epic et al would argue that Google has deliberately crippled them in some way. Therefore, we need to understand that CAF doesn’t want sideloading in the pro-consumer sense of “oh, now I can download an emulator“. They want sideloading as a full-blown alternative to the App Store, to the point where content currently in the store could choose to leave. And any bill that mandates sideloading will likely have mechanisms to try and make alternative stores more viable, so it can’t necessarily be compared to the situation on Android today.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, duh. Epic et al would argue that Google has deliberately crippled them in some way. Therefore, we need to understand that CAF doesn’t want sideloading in the pro-consumer sense of “oh, now I can download an emulator“. They want sideloading as a full-blown alternative to the App Store, to the point where content currently in the store could choose to leave. And any bill that mandates sideloading will likely have mechanisms to try and make alternative stores more viable, so it can’t necessarily be compared to the situation on Android today.
Hoping these bills will fall to some Supreme Court challenge.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Because alternative App Stores don’t work. If they did…

They could however depending on what version of Android and what OEM defines if you already have an alternate store. Adding another store is not customer friendly.

However once you do, many stores are simple to use and work really well.

App store expectations based on Apple and Google design.
Even Amazon, a simple one is not simple and easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.