Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Oof - Careful there hoss

Not sure the current (very politicized) Supreme Court will go in the direction you might want on something involving Apple
Yeah Apple is going to have to tread very carefully with Trump’s upcoming app. Depending on what they do, they could all but ensure all the Republicans vote for the bill- or completely undermine their arguments to Democrats.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Well, while the case against them is weaker, they are being targeted as well.
Google also made some underhanded agreements with phone manufacturers around their ability to select what apps are preinstalled, which seems to be the main thrust of the Google case. This sort of thing doesn't apply to Apple since they make both the hardware and software.

Last edited:

gomichaelgo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
no offense to you, but it’s comments like this that make me wonder… do people think that device “bricking” is a common occurrence when dealing with jailbreaking and other untrusted software?

in my experience jailbreaking for over a decade, i’ve rarely, if ever, seen a case where somebody irreversibly bricked their phone using software alone. anything is fixable.

and, regardless, sideloaded apps would have a COMPLETELY different (lower) level of access than jailbreak apps.

basically… if you’re a dev and can hack an iphone using a sideloaded app, you should really be selling that back to apple for several thousand $ in bug bounty reward money.

people are treating any individual sideloaded apps like they’re their own standalone jailbreak mechanisms.
No offense taken, and I have no clue what you are even talking about. I don't jailbreak my phone, and am not even sure what sideloading is.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
no offense to you, but it’s comments like this that make me wonder… do people think that device “bricking” is a common occurrence when dealing with jailbreaking and other untrusted software?

in my experience jailbreaking for over a decade, i’ve rarely, if ever, seen a case where somebody irreversibly bricked their phone using software alone. anything is fixable.

and, regardless, sideloaded apps would have a COMPLETELY different (lower) level of access than jailbreak apps.

basically… if you’re a dev and can hack an iphone using a sideloaded app, you should really be selling that back to apple for several thousand $ in bug bounty reward money.

people are treating any individual sideloaded apps like they’re their own standalone jailbreak mechanisms.

Considering there websites to that talked about how to unbrick your device after a failed jailbreak, I would say it has happened once or twice. Just because you or those in your general circle haven't seen it or have had it happen, I would venture to say it has happened.

Google link: How to fix a jailbroken bricked iPhone

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Considering there websites to that talked about how to unbrick your device after a failed jailbreak, I would say it has happened once or twice. Just because you or those in your general circle haven't seen it or have had it happen, I would venture to say it has happened.

Google link: How to fix a jailbroken bricked iPhone
Generally when people use the term “bricked” they mean permanently unfixable via software.

It’s a poor argument to say “if people sideload, they should lose their warranty if it gets bricked”. It’s an invalid concern that many people raise when discussing sideloading. Everything is fixable via software.

Reactions: dk001

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Generally when people use the term “bricked” they mean permanently unfixable via software.

It’s a poor argument to say “if people sideload, they should lose their warranty if it gets bricked”. It’s an invalid concern that many people raise when discussing sideloading. Everything is fixable via software.

Never commented on the sideload... I was merely discussing the talking point of "bricked", as from the number of websites that discuss a phone being "bricked", doesn't necessarily mean unfixable via software, it would appear more along the lines of those who have tried to do something via the software, and the phone is rendered unusable e.g., won't boot or can't get past a certain screen.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Never commented on the sideload... I was merely discussing the talking point of "bricked", as from the number of websites that discuss a phone being "bricked", doesn't necessarily mean unfixable via software, it would appear more along the lines of those who have tried to do something via the software, and the phone is rendered unusable e.g., won't boot or can't get past a certain screen.
alright… and i was replying to the other user who suggested that apple could void warranties of devices that are “bricked” due to issues related to sideloading. i was just pointing out that it’s not exactly a sensical argument to make — especially when we’re talking about sideloading.

Reactions: dk001

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
alright… and i was replying to the other user who suggested that apple could void warranties of devices that are “bricked” due to issues related to sideloading. i was just pointing out that it’s not exactly a sensical argument to make — especially when we’re talking about sideloading.
Apple will need to prove it and not just say you sided loaded so you lose your warranties. And no an sideloading fuse does not let them off the hook for something like an bad change port, bad battery, bad screen, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.