Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
If you have a terrible product that you have had years to make better or offer more value, but you don’t. You get what you get. Apple’s customers have been clamoring for something better. Had Tile stepped up to the plate they may have never released theirs. Tile had two extra years to make a better product, and a year to figure out how to become the leader on Apple’s network.
Instead they chose to wait two years to play a court attack. Sad.
All these coalition people believe in is trying to get their way through lawsuits and whining to congress. They are just as bad as patent trolls.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I just signed their petition because I would like to see the option of alternative app stores. I’m not forced to use the Mac App Store so I don’t see why I should be forced to use the iOS AppStore.
You are not forced to use the Apple Store. You can easily go somewhere else. Are you partitioning to open up the software on your car or your tv? How about your Alexa device so third parties can have unlimited access to your home devices.
If that is your desire please go and take tile with you. Real Apple customers by our devices because of the way the systems are designed and protected. It makes us more comfortable buying more and more gear.

What you are partitioning for is the exact thing we do not want and why we avoid Android like The plague it is.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
So Spotify who has market share and exists basically because someone else created devices and Tile who holds markets share and basically exist because of the same thing are complaining about competition. What a disgrace. I really hope they start losing their market dominance after this. Just like Epic. Happy to use someone else to make money until they want to make more of it.
And all three are founding members of ......

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I still really don't understand the logic. When the competition complains you have to talk to Congress? Did Google have to do that when they made Android smartphones? They weren't first--neither was Apple for that matter. Is this to say that since Blackberry made the first truly mainstream smartphone that nobody else is allowed to make one? Or since Samsung made their smartwatch before Apple that Apple isn't allowed to have the Apple Watch on the market?

What's the point? This is such a gigantic waste of time and resources. Tile is mad because they know that even if Apple's original offering is not as good as Tile's current lineup (I think version 1 will be better out the gate, honestly) the 2nd, 3rd, 4th iterations most certainly will be higher quality, easier to use, and Apple's solution ALREADY doesn't require me to buy new AirTags every single year like Tile's does. Nor does it require me to pay a yearly subscription for the privelege. So which company is really extorting its users here? Apple who charges $29 per AirTag with no additional recurring fees other than batteries that the user can replace, or Tile who makes you buy all new hardware every single year? Why isn't TILE talking to Congress too?

So the Apple option will be better and cheaper?

How is that even slightly related to anti-competition laws? Maybe sometimes it is better to get something of liberal education rather than to allowing winy engineers to trade in politics and consumer information.

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
You are not forced to use the Apple Store. You can easily go somewhere else. Are you partitioning to open up the software on your car or your tv? How about your Alexa device so third parties can have unlimited access to your home devices.
If that is your desire please go and take tile with you. Real Apple customers by our devices because of the way the systems are designed and protected. It makes us more comfortable buying more and more gear.

What you are partitioning for is the exact thing we do not want and why we avoid Android like The plague it is.

Who is ”we”. Speak for yourself. You don’t speak for everyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: diandi

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
If you can't compete, you can always sue.

Or buy the competition like Apple, Google, Facebook, etc all do.

Or buy up all the lobbyists to get new laws shut down like Apple did recently.

How many politicians does Apple have in its pocket?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildkraut

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
If you can't compete, you can always sue.
Took the words right out of my mouth (fingers).

In previous years, one learned that a successful business comes from innovation, clever and unique marketing, competitive pricing and availability, and, most importantly, customer satisfaction. Now, however, things have drastically changed.

These days, innovation has been replaced by replication, as most companies seem to “piggy-back” on others’ successes.

Their ideas (that are not limited to one company, by the way) of innovation are simply painting over and old logo, tweaking the internals just enough to differentiate from the original, or in this case, replicate a successful App Store.

Of course healthy competition is better for everyone because it fuels innovation, pricing, availability and, finally, customer satisfaction that I’ve mentioned before. But when another company cannot compete, the end result shouldn’t be defaulted to lawsuits, accusations, or, at worst, government “investigation”.

Whether or not you agree with Apple or Google’s cut from their stores is up to you, but I think we all would be better off proving our loyalty to our respective companies of choice by voting with OUR wallets, instead of greedy lawyers and lobbyists with tax payers’ money to burn.

TLDR: If you can’t compete, get better at it until you can, and leave the courtrooms for more important things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mescagnus

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Whatever happens, I just hope it's applied evenly to all companies and that it's an option, not set by default, to disable the security of the system. For instance, I can't install whatever I want on my Switch, Xbox Series X or PS5. It's going to be fun to watch the prices of all this stuff skyrocket if this happens, lol. Hope people get what they want!

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Because they have a monopoly and engage in anticompetitive activities?

Apple does not have any kind of monopoly, just superior products and a (mostly) proprietary ecosystem for their own products. It benefits their customers with unmatched safety and user experience. The competition is free to outdo them, if they have what it takes to do better.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I wouldn't count on it. Apple obviously knows the score, they spend billions in attorney's fees. As I said the US Government has a history of screwing with good corporations and wants to make sure the US is dead last in every category.
I just live watched the US senate hearing, it was nice. They are totally aware of side loading and taking this possibility into account, great, I’m optimistic that Apple and Google will face plant hard.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mescagnus

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
Apple's thinking is this:
* We want to protect our valued consumers within our ecosystem from bad software.
* Even with their protections in place, nefarious wares have crept in.
* Anyone can sell or offer free software through their app store, which is the security mechanism.
* In exchange for sparing providers the overhead of hosting and marketing software, Apple charges a rather standard commission rate that their consumers are willing to pay.
* If consumers choose to get apps outside of the app store, they can.
* Again, let me say that again: You can get apps outside of the Apple app store ecosystem.
* To do so may involve risk - it's up to you.
* What Apple asks its providers is not unreasonable.
* Instead, that Apple's critics accuse Apple of is pure greed for collecting commissions - with little to no regard for what Apple does with its profits to create jobs, invest in green technologies, improve conditions where they can, and contribute to a better world.

They say things like...
> Anyone should be able to offer their software to Apple users however they want - without Apple taking a cut.
> Apple shouldn't enforce such draconian policies for providers to get to those consumers.
> Apple shouldn't demand such staunch security - and now, privacy - measures of their providers.
> Apple's practices are effectively incriminating providers who don't mean any harm and just want access to those customers more directly.

Hmmmm.
Really, I'm not going for a political bent here but a psychological one (maybe?).

Why are there these parallels between Apple's critics and those who are hyper-critical of legal immigration and regulated borders? Again, not to be political at all.

But rather, could it be that there's a growing sentiment of entitlement that says having standards - even those designed for quality, security, and even privacy - are an affront to the larger community?

I really don't know, but I'm deeply concerned at some - not all - of the criticisms Apple faces. They're increasingly familiar and not all seem to come from a simply, genuine motive.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Macrumors is slow at writing today, no updated news with content of the hearing.

I liked how she lead the hearing and focused to the important things. Apple had nothing to put against the facts that was put on the table, except their blah blah the usual marketing rhetorical shizzle.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I just live watched the US senate hearing, it was nice. They are totally aware of side loading and taking this possibility into account, great, I’m optimistic that Apple and Google will face plant hard.
I'm just concerned that people who want apple and google to take a beating are okay when it doesn't happen. And any law that is put into effect can face legal challenges. So word to the wise...don't count your chickens, we don't want to see a lot of ? around here.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I'm just concerned that people who want apple and google to take a beating are okay when it doesn't happen.
They will, at the one or the other way.
Apple won’t escape this, it’s just a question of how many blue eyes they’ll get, one or two with a broken nose on top. And when this all ends, they’ll keep watching them. And todays hearing didn’t sound very pro Apple. Wait until the EU antitrust also starts, Apple will get a huge hit. I already see some sort of side loading coming.
She even used the word “side loading”, they are fully aware.

Likes, +1

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple won’t escape this, it’s just a question of how many blue eyes they’ll get, one or two with a broken nose on top. And when this all ends, they’ll keep watching them. And todays hearing didn’t sound very pro Apple. Wait untill the EU antitrust also starts, Apple will get a huge hit, I already see some sort of side loading coming.

Likes, +1
We’ll we could certainly trade banter until the cows come home. But as I said don’t take a bet at your local bookie just yet:

• Haha
Reactions: Wildkraut

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Isn’t the actual complaint from Tile that Apple disabled their ability to use Bluetooth in the background which renders their “network” functionality obsolete, so they now have to pick between their now hobbled app or the find my network which they can’t monetize?

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Apple won’t escape this, it’s just a question of how many blue eyes they’ll get, one or two with a broken nose on top. And when this all ends, they’ll keep watching them. And todays hearing didn’t sound very pro Apple. Wait until the EU antitrust also starts, Apple will get a huge hit. I already see some sort of side loading coming.

Likes, +1
Wow! she used a term. You or I have no idea if she, or any other senators actually understand what it means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.