Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has decided not to testify in a U.S. Senate subcommittee hearing on antitrust issues related to mobile App Stores, and U.S. senators have called Apple's refusal "unacceptable," reports Reuters.

app-store-blue-banner.jpg

In a letter addressed to Apple CEO Tim Cook, senators Amy Klobuchar and Mike Lee urged Apple to reconsider the decision because a "full and fair examination" of competition issues requires Apple's participation.

The senators say that Apple has been aware of the upcoming April hearing for weeks and even held discussions with Senate staff members on who would testify on Apple's behalf, but then Apple "abruptly declared" that it would provide no witness to testify at all.

Apple is citing its upcoming trial against Epic Games as the reason for not providing a witness for the App Store hearing, but the Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Competition Policy, Antitrust, and Consumer Rights is not happy with that excuse.

There is no specific date set for the hearing as of yet, but Google plans to participate. It will look at the power that Apple and Google have over the cost, distribution, and availability of mobile apps on iPhone and Android devices.

Article Link: U.S. Senators Urge Apple to Reconsider Decision Not to Testify in Upcoming App Store Hearing

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
HUH? Senators dont know the power and monopoly Google has over android phones?
they need an expensive and useless trial?
Even my cat knows one needs google play to install a garage door opener app
that spikes an alert when the door needs servicing and alerting repair tech from 100 miles to contact- stop
im overreacting
but made my point.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
There is NO benefit to Apple participating.

And, there is NO real need for a Hearing.

ALL of the facts are known !

Congress just needs to move forward with the proposed New Laws !

BTW, "Public" Hearings with Congress participating are a known Waste of Time !

ALL most member of Congress want out of such Public Hearings is Ammo for their RE-election campaign TV commercials !

ONLY "Private" Hearings have ANY real chance of being productive !

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
In a letter addressed to Apple CEO Tim Cook, senators Amy Klobuchar and Mike Lee urged Apple to reconsider the decision because a "full and fair examination" of competition issues requires Apple's participation.

The senators say that Apple has been aware of the upcoming April hearing for weeks and even held discussions with Senate staff members on who would testify on Apple's behalf, but then Apple "abruptly declared" that it would provide no witness to testify at all.

Apple is citing its upcoming trial against Epic Games as the reason for not providing a witness for the App Store hearing, but the Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Competition Policy, Antitrust, and Consumer Rights is not happy with that excuse.
Since the trial involves one of the biggest complainers of the Apple store, the senate hearing really isn't a priority at all. One would think the senate might learn a lot from the trial. :)

Reactions: KeithBN

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Waste of time, why not spend this time on something else? Like looking into why ISPs charge an arm and a leg for a half assed internet connection.

AT&T, Verizon, Comcrap and the likes have been milking the American people with their regional monopolies over network for years and I haven't seen on private hearing with tangible laws released. Yes, the FCC and its Net Neutrality helps, to an extent.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
There is NO benefit to Apple participating.

And, there is NO real need for a Hearing.

ALL of the facts are known !

Congress just needs to move forward with the proposed New Laws !

BTW, "Public" Hearings with Congress participating are a known Waste of Time !

ALL most member of Congress want out of such Public Hearings is Ammo for their RE-election campaign TV commercials !

ONLY "Private" Hearings have ANY real chance of being productive !

As Craig Federighi would say, it's not in our best interest NOT keeping people addicted to the Apple eco-system drugs.

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

jeffreydi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
Apple also appears to be stalling on Coronavirus Reporter antitrust case

Last edited:
Reactions: qoop

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Waste of time, why not spend this time on something else? Like looking into why ISPs charge an arm and a leg for a half assed internet connection.

AT&T, Verizon, Comcrap and the likes have been milking the American people with their regional monopolies over network for years and I haven't seen on private hearing with tangible laws released. Yes, the FCC and its Net Neutrality helps, to an extent.
Well Neutrality was neutered until a few weeks ago

Reactions: SFjohn and KeithBN

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
HUH? Senators dont know the power and monopoly Google has over android phones?
they need an expensive and useless trial?
Even my cat knows one needs google play to install a garage door opener app
that spikes an alert when the door needs servicing and alerting repair tech from 100 miles to contact- stop
im overreacting
but made my point.
Well, gotta look useful for that tax money.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
The politicians use the public hearings to increase their general knowledge about tech things the don't want to spend time reading up on. I would not be surprised if they ask stupid how-to questions in such hearings. How do I get a widget. How do I turn off notifications. How do I buy a kindle book on iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.