Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
You are correct. It hasn't downloaded. Just available to download. However, depending on settings it would show up in your library.

Good. I definitely don't want it, or want to have to go in and delete something I never asked for to begin with. I have an SSD, so space is precious. ;)

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
So what's the deal with this U2? Is it some type of atomic element? I thought Uranium typically came in a different configuration...

Just joking... Put down the album covers.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have no problems with free and that's what I got. I've been a U2 fan since the early 80's and this album was literally and figuratively mailed in. :p

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
It says "purchased" but is not on any of my devices or downloadable to said devices.
Go to iTunes Store (homepage) on your Mac ---> Click 'Purchased' on the right of the page ---> Go to Music/Albums ---> Click the arrow on top of the new U2 album there to download it to your iTunes library.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I don't understand what's such a big deal. It's just a couple of free songs that you don't even have to listen to and that you can hide from your library.

It is bloatware that should not be on my iOS devices. That simple really. I don't want this **** on my iOS devices. I have it on my purchased list on iTunes on my iPad. I don't want it on the list. I want it permanently removed from there (not just hidden).

Seriously Apple this is disgusting.

Anyone know how to remove tracks from my iOS iTunes purchased songs list?
I don't care if I can't download them again, I don't even want to download the U2 stuff the first time.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
The best brand and the best band in the world join forces and give you something free and all people do is complain.

The problem with U2 is that they are that good nobody likes them anymore, they couldn't put a foot wrong for the first 20 years of their career, now they can't do anything right in some peoples eyes.

Come on U2 "don't let the bastards grind you down".

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Bunch of whiners. Listen to the damn album, it's actually pretty good. It's not like they put Pink or some other trash on your phone, they put a band that deserves to be on your device, if not for the music, for the impact they've had on the human condition all over the world. Wah wah waaaaaah. Boo hoo hooo.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The best brand and the best band in the world join forces and give you something free and all people do is complain.

The problem with U2 is that they are that good nobody likes them anymore, they couldn't put a foot wrong for the first 20 years of their career, now they can't do anything right in some peoples eyes.

Best band in your opinion mate. Not everyone thinks U2 is the best. And that's cool, we all have our different opinions. We just resent having U2 shoved down our throats if we don't like it.

If we like U2 we'll buy it. If we don't like U2 we will not buy it. Simple.
Having U2 forced upon us regardless of our own personal music tastes is what we resent.

Also having no way to permanently remove the U2 tracks from our iOS iTunes purchased list is also something many of us greatly resent.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006

rather that they havent released a decent song around 1990. they are pretty good at prostituting themselves though

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Bunch of whiners. Listen to the damn album, it's actually pretty good. It's not like they put Pink or some other trash on your phone, they put a band that deserves to be on your device, if not for the music, for the impact they've had on the human condition all over the world. Wah wah waaaaaah. Boo hoo hooo.

Doesn't matter who the artist is. We buy what we want to buy from iTunes. Having any music forced upon us is unacceptable. Not everyone will like everything. Just have the album free to download for a week or something. That's way better then forcing it upon us. Then we don't have it stuck on our purchased list when we don't want it there.

(and hiding it is not the solution, we want it gone).

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
You want innovation. Try getting the RIAA to back down on DMCA teeth gnashing and start reworking their associated companies licensing polices with small scale content producers (Streams and Online Video makers). The current model of just taking down videos/streams or trying to take 100% of revenues is going to continue to make them increasingly irrelevant. They did this same backwards think with digital music and LOST hard. Let Apple and Amazon pull the rung right out from under them.

And they'll do, it again. When someone creates a better system of matching revue splitting deals for "music" with small scale visual producers.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Totally agree. The music industry will never go back to the way it was. They have to be nimble and creative and try new ways of monetizing their art. This is certainly a unique and groundbreaking way of doing that. Whether or not it's a new model, we'll have to see. But certainly U2 is big enough to make it work, if anyone can.

I don't particularly like U2, but I downloaded the album (even though it was weirdly complicated, Apple), and everyone is talking about it. So, again, we'll see if it's a success. But I certainly applaud them for trying.

(edit) PS totally agree that "forcing" it on people is weird, too. It should've been merely available for free if you want it.

Last edited:

MusicDoc

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Virginia Beach
First world problem

...because dealing with free stuff on your iTunes page is going to ruin your life. You don't like it? Delete it and kwitchyermoanin'. By the way....REALLY?? "99% are complaining?" Methinks not.....

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
People need to calm down it wasn't downloaded to anyones phones or what not. It was only showing up it the person had in the settings show all music. Then it was showing not only what was on the phone but also what was in their iCloud. But yes I get some people hate U2 and yes maybe they won't listen to it but it's FREE. At least it wasn't some trash pop music. I mean come on guys could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
[/I]=X-X;19652289]It can not be deleted, you can only hide it. It will stay in your purchased receipts forever AND iTunes starts to recommend (genius) you other U2 music because it thinks you bought an Album...an so on.

People actually pay attention to Genius?
If you're relying on genius for your musical discovery you've got bigger problems than being "forced" to listen to a couple of U2 records.

What do you think could happen here? You end up buying some music that you didn't want because it randomly came up in genius? Get a grip, man!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
At least it wasn't some trash pop music. I mean come on guys could have been a lot worse.

It is still trash. Just not pop trash. And it's the principle of the matter. We didn't ask for it. So don't give it to us. It's not a stock app that is actually useful. It's random music that you might or might not like. I hid it. But I am waiting for the day someone jailbreaks iOS8 properly and hacks the OS to permanently remove it from the purchased list.

gtdavis61

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
What if it wasn't "Free"?

What if U2’s "Songs of Innocence" album was already on sale for $14.99 in the iTunes Store, and an Apple employee had accidently made it become a “free” purchase in everyone’s iTunes Library?

Would everyone feel the same outrage, or would they feel “lucky” to have gotten something of value ($14.99) for free?

I believe most would either enjoy it or hide it, but their outrage would be far less.

Commodore 64

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Yep, odd move by Apple and U2, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to wait with the uproar until 8.00 am BST on October 14th? Since it says that the album is only available as a gift until then, it would be even more odd if it was still listed as purchased after this (if you haven't downloaded). I suppose the plan is to remove it from the purchased list (from those who didn't download) after that.

But I wonder if you guys that feel that this is shoved down your throat, also feel the same about the pre-installed Nike app on your devices. Seriously, I'm actually curious, not trying to make fun. Cause I wonder if this touches a nerve because it's about music/musical taste. Or storage space. Or if it's about interfering with our devices altogether.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
But I wonder if you guys that feel that this is shoved down your throat, also feel the same about the pre-installed Nike app on your devices. Seriously, I'm actually curious, not trying to make fun. Cause I wonder if this touches a nerve because it's about music/musical taste. Or storage space. Or if it's about interfering with our devices altogether.

I think it's 50% musical tastes and 50% about interfering with our devices altogether.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I don't think I've ever seen a positive threads out Bono or U2 on macrumors. There's always a lot of hate here, it's probably not the best place to gain a balanced understanding of what this whole thing means.

Mostly, any of U2's detractors would do exactly the same thing if they were in a position to do so, but the common misconception that all u2's choices are cynical and greedy are out of date, jealous, and a familiar and laughable display of that hive mentality that people find comfort in.

It is, however, much fun reading the rage and stupidity on display ("99% of iTunes users don't want this"etc), people not really understanding the irrelevance of a small pool of MRs antagonists vs the rest of the 500 million people accessed by a Rock band to perhaps, just maybe, change the way that the music industry can work. Maybe not, but at least they're (Apple & U2) trying.

What are you doing? Listening to some esoteric or pop music on Spotify? You think you're supporting the music industry with that? Artists get next to nothing with those kinds of models, and pretty soon there won't be any artists left if that's the only income they can hope for. It effects everyone. Whatever it is, the industry has to change, and if it takes breaking some hearts along the way, then I'm all for it.

Don't like it? Don't listen to it. But don't be so naive as to miss the point and relevance of what is in fact, a statement of hope.

Why the **** not?

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Also having no way to permanently remove the U2 tracks from our iOS iTunes purchased list is also something many of us greatly resent.

On this note, if one doesn't choose to download or purchase this by the Oct deadline, will it then disappear as an option altogether?

Commodore 64

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Shouldn't there be a more general debate then about the boundaries for ownership/interference when it comes to digital versus physical goods? It seems to me that we are still having yesterday's mindset when it comes to today's technological realities. Like the analogy between putting something digitally on a device, and putting coke in someone's fridge. I see the point, but while the fridge is ours to decide what goes in it, does the same go for a physical device linked digitally to a provider? Like when Facebook removed the messenger feature from their main app. I held the app, on my device, but still it's in Facebooks hands to do whatever they like to with their products. And for each new iOS upgrade, Apple makes some changes that I don't really like. My physical device, but Apple "owns" the software. And someone here mentioned CD's versus streaming. But is it really that comparable when it comes to ownership? Can streaming (or digitally purchased music/movies/programs) be inherited by my children when I die? At least we're getting closer to (legally) sharing digital purchases, but it seems like the debate could be much bigger than wether Apple can make music appear in our libraries or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.