Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Maybe you should switch to Android then?
Unlike this couple of songs that you can easily delete locally, there's a lot of apps that you can't delete on your iPhone such as Apple Maps, Weather, Clock, Calculator, Passbook, Notes, FaceTime, Reminder, Calendar, Mail, Game Center and I'm probably forgetting a couple of others. They take way more space than a few U2 songs and there's no workaround to take them off your phone.

The Apps are actually useful. One album is not useful, well only to the U2 fans.

----------

It's not bloatware unless you actually download it. Get your facts straight before having a hissy fit over nothing.
It's on our iTunes purchased list without our permission.

----------

On this note, if one doesn't choose to download or purchase this by the Oct deadline, will it then disappear as an option altogether?
I sure would hope that's the case.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe you should learn the art of respecting people's opinions. If you can't do that don't reply to my posts. :rolleyes:
I'm respecting your opinion. You are complaining about getting free stuff. This is even worse than "First World Problems."

----------

The Apps are actually useful. One album is not useful, well only to the U2 fans.
They may be useful to you, but not to everyone (I never use most of them). The big difference is that you can make the U2 album go away while you can delete the default apps.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like they are forcing you to listen to it. Deleting it from the library takes about five seconds.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
That album would have been completely forgettable without Brian Eno's production.

But a good producer has been able to do wonders with a groups music. Listen to the pre-Roy Thomas Baker Cars.

Eno did the startup sound for Windows 95 too...

----------

PB2 with iTunes 12, U2 didn't auto download. Doesn't show up under Purchased.

You have to have iCloud enabled, then it shows up if you sort by the iCloud column...

EDIT: Nope, I was half right. The easier way is to go to the iTunes storefront and click 'Purchased' and see the U2 album there... Thanks iWe!

Last edited:

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Another aspect of the whole 'Apple force fed me U2'-debacle is that it clearly shows that a lot of Apple users do not follow Apple like we do on this forum.

The vast majority seems pretty clueless to why the album appeared (and thus have not seen the keynote or read about it, which is why this way of 'giving' stuff to your customers might not be a great idea):

A few from Twitter:

Why is there a U2 album on my phone I don't remember downloading it.

Why in the f is U2 on my phone

why is there a random U2 album on my phone?

What is U2 and why is it in my playlist

What is U2 and why is it a gift? You can keep that

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Music is so subjective, having it forced upon you is certainly going to ruffle some feathers. I'd be pretty annoyed if the latest 'Fitty' album downloaded itself onto my phone.

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I used to be a U2 fan many years ago but the lack lustre albums of the last decade or so mean I can take them or leave them so not too worried about it appearing in my iTunes library - however I would have been furiuous if it had been something that I would have really hated.

Apple NEVER EVER EVER do this again - You must give people the choice of whether they want it or not.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
You know, Amazon has been randomly giving people free Kindle Books -- like they show up on their devices without asking for them and no interest in reading them. I don't hear any outrage over that and it's been going on for months.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
***** apple for putting this awful band on my phone and I can't get it off. This makes me want to trash all their products. God damn if hate everything about u2

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
***** apple for putting this awful band on my phone and I can't get it off. This makes me want to trash all their products. God damn if hate everything about u2
Maybe if you could"get it off" then maybe have less stress over a free album. /s

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Maybe that's the new generation. It's free, it won't hurt you. You don't ever have to listen to it. For most people it is to download manually because they did deactivate automatic downloads (which is good). I have quite a few albums in my purchased list I will likely never listen to. All by apple during 12 days 12 presents Christmas event.
In a time not long ago...When I was a child my parent taught me to be nice and thankful for a gift. I did not have to like, play with, or eat it... whatsoever. But I had to say thank you (later also no thank you, but I hardly ever did this,) because a person thought of me and gave me something for free. The last thing my parents wanted to see that I act out and behave like a spoiled kid. Times have changed quickly.

Well said.

You are right on, Apple appears to be working on a new album format that includes viewable lyrics, likely with a higher quality sound, according to several stories out this morning. We had already heard Jimmy Iovine was likely pushing for a higher quality format like Neil Young is promoting, and Iovine produced U2's Rattle and Hum, so there already was a long standing relationship. So if U2 becomes one of the first bands with that format it will help get other bands involved and get consumers more interested. FLAC is fantastic, but takes up a ton of storage space compared to MP3's. Apple is probably working on a new format closer to FLAC quality with smaller file size that also can embed visual art like lyrics.

Yup. The spoiled kids here can't see past their nose.

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
You have to have iCloud enabled, then it shows up if you sort by the iCloud column...
iCloud doesn't need to be enabled. Just go to iTunes Store (homepage) on your Mac ---> Click 'Purchased' on the right of the page ---> Go to Music/Albums ---> Click the arrow on top of the new U2 album there to download it to your iTunes library.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
iCloud doesn't need to be enabled. Just go to iTunes Store (homepage) on your Mac ---> Click 'Purchased' on the right of the page ---> Go to Music/Albums ---> Click the arrow on top of the new U2 album there to download it to your iTunes library.

Oh, yes! I didn't know that was there. I don't spend much time in the iTunes Store... It's far too easy to blow huge sums of money.

donpaluh

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
New York
Thanks for the Album!

Interestingly on Sept. 9, I was bouncing around between MacRumors, MacWorld and Macintouch to see the iPhone 6 specifications. I did not even see the U2 release until the next day when I saw people grumbling about it. I said, Wow! a free U2 album!" Thanks. I downloaded it immediately. Certainly those who don't want it for whatever reason have the right to complain about the automatic download to their accounts, but I think those of us who appreciate it should show a little love as well.:cool:

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Supermarket music. Put it on in the background, ignore it mostly, and concentrate on picking out the GMO food of your choice. Bono's got a great recipe for Whirled Peas.

I'd find this funny but there's really no such thing as "supermarket music" anymore. What they play in the supermarket is more often the radio hits of ten years ago.

Make a nice list of your current "good music" (that's still mainstream). Keep that list in a desk drawer or someplace, and see how much of it gets played at the grocery store years from now.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
you see I am correct there is certain segment of the population that complain about everything!
If someone cured cancer they would complain about that too they would say "Look at all the cancer hospital workers and researchers would be unemployed because you cured cancer". :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.