Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Since Apple paid $100 million for this, that's about $15 per copy of the downloads that were actually redeemed. Much better than the $50 per copy from a few days ago.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Weird all this hate about U2.
Their albums are always among the best selling of all time and tours all sold out for so many years. I guess the MR hate folks are a huge minority on this universe.

You are joking?

----------

I enjoyed the album. While nowhere near as iconic as their first 5 albums, it has some of their best songs since the 1990s.

I think many people simply don't understand how music in the cloud works (and that you can easily hide any music you don't want to see in your library). In hindsight Apple/U2 could probably have achieved the same effect by simply offering the album for free on the iTunes store. I guess they wanted to try something new to create more attention.

How it should work, is this.
You sign up for iTunes and are given the choice to receive marketing emails using a checkbox to opt in or opt out.
Now when Apple send you a mail, call it spam if you like but you agreed to it.

Tim should have stated that all who opt for ‘Free Music Tuesdays’ will get the mail/code/whatever and that others would have to manually search the iTunes Store for it. Where it could even be in its own prominent section on the front page.

It hasn’t really affected me. I have all you can eat data and haven’t even looked to see if it auto downloaded but the music is crap and out of touch so I can see why people are annoyed.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
You are joking?

----------

How it should work, is this.
You sign up for iTunes and are given the choice to receive marketing emails using a checkbox to opt in or opt out.
Now when Apple send you a mail, call it spam if you like but you agreed to it.

Tim should have stated that all who opt for ‘Free Music Tuesdays’ will get the mail/code/whatever and that others would have to manually search the iTunes Store for it. Where it could even be in its own prominent section on the front page.

It hasn’t really affected me. I have all you can eat data and haven’t even looked to see if it auto downloaded but the music is crap and out of touch so I can see why people are annoyed.
Please explain what you mean by 'the music is crap and out of touch'.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Weird Al's Mandatory Fun would have been more appropriate, if only for the title.

Instead we are all "mandatory fans" (not).

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Crap = Not very good.
Out of touch = Tims buddys up on stage. Music hardly anybody these days has heard of.

(An opinion, granted).

Music hardly anyone these days has heard of. Right, other than the whole internet over the past week, U2's massive tour attendances, massive album sales. Other than that you mean?

Crap would define it's not suitable for listening to. Yet, many people love it. Your opinion in it doesn't make it crap. It just means your small mind doesn't like it.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Very solid album. I like "Raised By Wolves", "Volcano", and "Iris".
Those are my favorites too. :) "Raised by Wolves" in particular is really growing on me. I can hear some of their very early work in that song. I also like "California" even with the quirky "Santa Barbara" intro (which is probably meant as a reference to Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys?). The lyrics are very good on all songs.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Music hardly anyone these days has heard of. Right, other than the whole internet over the past week, U2's massive tour attendances, massive album sales. Other than that you mean?

Crap would define it's not suitable for listening to. Yet, many people love it. Your opinion in it doesn't make it crap. It just means your small mind doesn't like it.

All music is opinion. All music. I guarantee you that most people you ask these days in day to day life, (please have a good spread of ages in your quest), will think U2 are dated rubbish.
I think it’s crap, you think it’s good big deal. Doesn’t make my mind any smaller than yours.
33 million accessed is the whole internet. Really? The whole internet, you must mean your local network. (Accessed DOES also mean listened to and immediately deleted, and it DOES also mean one person listened to more than once). That number not so big any more is it?
Now if you’d have said Michael jackson, (I don’t listen to him either), I’d agree that it’s popular but not necessarily good.
U2, clowns. I mean sunglasses indoors - wut?

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Those are my favorites too. :) "Raised by Wolves" in particular is really growing on me. I can hear some of their very early work in that song. I also like "California" even with the quirky "Santa Barbara" intro (which is probably meant as a reference to Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys?). The lyrics are very good on all songs.

I took the Santa Barbara intro to be a reference to Seymour Duncan, guitar pickup maker who's based out of there. Still a good song.
The album has a few flops, but for free it's a definite keeper! Thanks, Apple.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
You got it for free so what's your loss here? Actually having to click a button to remove it from your account? People are lazy now days. Would you rather have some crappy pop album for free? How about One Direction? David Guetta? Justin Timberlake? People wouldn't whine about that would they? You're damn lucky Apple made that removal tool because you don't deserve it from your complaining. Now I'm not talking about everyone, just those who started a rant over an easily resolved issue. Thanks to you, Apple may never do another free promo like this.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
All music is opinion. All music. I guarantee you that most people you ask these days in day to day life, (please have a good spread of ages in your quest), will think U2 are dated rubbish.
I think it’s crap, you think it’s good big deal. Doesn’t make my mind any smaller than yours.
33 million accessed is the whole internet. Really? The whole internet, you must mean your local network. (Accessed DOES also mean listened to and immediately deleted, and it DOES also mean one person listened to more than once). That number not so big any more is it?
Now if you’d have said Michael jackson, (I don’t listen to him either), I’d agree that it’s popular but not necessarily good.
U2, clowns. I mean sunglasses indoors - wut?

Good to see that you accept that this is merely your opinion. If anyone likes this album it clearly has some quality. If millions like it, it has great quality. Your reference to 'Sun glasses indoors' shows that your issue is not the music but the image. Small mind reference qualified!

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Put Tupac in everyone's itunes account, everybody aint starving for old rock stars from the 30s.

U2 is a much more appropriate choice.

Once an inovative band with fresh ideas, U2 are now considered a safe, but unadventurous option.
Quite in keeping with the rest of the apple event.

* Smart watch - done before.
* NFC payments - done before.
* large screen phones - yawn.

The Guardian has some other options.
Forget U2: five bands we'd like to see reach 500 million people

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/10/u2-apple-five-bands-500-million-people

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
for whom tho? U2 i can get but Apple? When i saw how much Apple paid U2 i was shocked as i thought U2 would be the one having to pay apple to use their platform as promotion

I thought they gave it away because they have enough money. Like out of the kindness of their hearts. Now I feel like deleting it especially if apple doesn't have to pay U2 if I do.

U2 you are *******s for giving the impression of generosity. I was going to buy some of your albums. Now I'll just listen on radio or pirate them. **** you for deceiving me with your lies!

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I thought they gave it away because they have enough money. Like out of the kindness of their hearts. Now I feel like deleting it especially if apple doesn't have to pay U2 if I do.

U2 you are *******s for giving the impression of generosity. I was going to buy some of your albums. Now I'll just listen on radio or pirate them. **** you for deceiving me with your lies!

What lies?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
What lies?

The keynote.you watched it right.

How U2 made out they were giving their new album away for free. The impression like they didn't need the money cause they have more than they can ever spend. So they were doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

That.

Which led me to think how cool are you guys. You realise the world is suffering and you know a lot of that suffering is money related. So you are not taking any of the available money. Your leaving it to go around to people who need it. But they didn't and weren't. They weren't giving it away for free. They'd been paid. And who pays? The customer. In one way or another the business passes the fees onto the customer.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Although the expensive marketing campaign wants to turn these into huge numbers, the fact is that the results are underwhelming. 2 milion downloads in 3 days is not so much considering that this is a free album and can be downloaded at the touch of a button. In 1991, the Guns N' Roses sold 1.5 million copies of the Use Your Illusion albums in 3 days, and people had to go to physical stores and actually pay money to get them. And in 2013, Beyonce sold over 800,000 copies of an album on iTunes in just 3 days (yes, sold). These numbers all compare favorably to U2's. People did not have to spend a cent to get U2's new album, and many of them even had the album downloaded without their consent (and even against their will in some cases). Considering all of this, I think these numbers are underwhelming.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011

How U2 made out they were giving their new album away for free. The impression like they didn't need the money cause they have more than they can ever spend. So they were doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

That.

Which led me to think how cool are you guys. You realise the world is suffering and you know a lot of that suffering is money related. So you are not taking any of the available money. Your leaving it to go around to people who need it. But they didn't and weren't. They weren't giving it away for free. They'd been paid. And who pays? The customer. In one way or another the business passes the fees onto the customer.

They didn't say they were giving it away for free. Tim Cook said Apple are giving it away for free. Bono said 'at first you need to pay for it' to which Tim replied 'I've been told I'm a good negotiator'.

But you heard free. Now who's greedy?

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005

That.

You need to watch the keynote again. They clearly stated apple would have to pay them.

All the comments in this thread show the childish immature demographic of MacRumours

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
They didn't say they were giving it away for free. Tim Cook said Apple are giving it away for free. Bono said 'at first you need to pay for it' to which Tim replied 'I've been told I'm a good negotiator'.

But you heard free. Now who's greedy?

I've been told I'm a good negotiator. Yep I heard that. And I heard free. Good negotiating?

But watching it again I see what your saying. I bought into the whole staged act. Now I see U2 are not generous at all and had no intention to being. I see the generosity is in Tim Cook. Now I like him even more. Thanks for pointing this out to me :)

SireOfSeth

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Count me in, horrible music.

You think?

I'm really enjoying the album. Easily the best since "All That You Can't Leave Behind". Possibly the best since "Joshua Tree". Time will tell!

Love the line in "Song for Someone" ... 'You got a face not spoiled by beauty'. Haha. Great lyric!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

----------

You think?

I'm really enjoying the album. Easily the best since "All That You Can't Leave Behind". Possibly the best since "Joshua Tree". Time will tell!

Love the line in "Song for Someone" ... 'You got a face not spoiled by beauty'. Haha. Great lyric!

What do you think of the sound quality? It downloaded real fast. Faster than any other album. And sounds brittle. Almost compressed to much.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
You got it for free so what's your loss here? Actually having to click a button to remove it from your account? People are lazy now days. Would you rather have some crappy pop album for free? How about One Direction? David Guetta? Justin Timberlake? People wouldn't whine about that would they? You're damn lucky Apple made that removal tool because you don't deserve it from your complaining. Now I'm not talking about everyone, just those who started a rant over an easily resolved issue. Thanks to you, Apple may never do another free promo like this.

You didn't get it free, you actually paid for it. Where do you think Apple got those $100M from?

SireOfSeth

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
What do you think of the sound quality? It downloaded real fast. Faster than any other album. And sounds brittle. Almost compressed to much.

Didn't notice that. Seems fine to me. I'll listen out for it on the next spin.

ThirdPrize

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
for whom tho? U2 i can get but Apple? When i saw how much Apple paid U2 i was shocked as i thought U2 would be the one having to pay apple to use their platform as promotion

Apple and U2 go back a LONG way. There used to be a red iPod that came loaded with U2 albums where a % went to charity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.