Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I've been told I'm a good negotiator. Yep I heard that. And I heard free. Good negotiating?

But watching it again I see what your saying. I bought into the whole staged act. Now I see U2 are not generous at all and had no intention to being. I see the generosity is in Tim Cook. Now I like him even more. Thanks for pointing this out to me :)

I've no idea what you're talking about. U2 never suggested they were giving you a free album. Why would they just do this for iTunes users? You feel conned but you were only conned by your own misinterpretation of what happened.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I've no idea what you're talking about. U2 never suggested they were giving you a free album. Why would they just do this for iTunes users? You feel conned but you were only conned by your own misinterpretation of what happened.

Yes I thought they were playing a joke on Android and why people like the operating system... because they can get free music. I was totally swept away with the moment and energy of the whole keynote, the positiveness from Apple.
So yes you are right I held U2 to a higher value they didn't earn nor deserve... I did the same with Tim Cook who incidentally did.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Yes I thought they were playing a joke on Android and why people like the operating system... because they can get free music. I was totally swept away with the moment and energy of the whole keynote, the positiveness from Apple.
So yes you are right I held U2 to a higher value they didn't earn nor deserve... I did the same with Tim Cook who incidentally did.

Again, what are you talking about? U2 made it clear they weren't giving you a free album. Yet, they plunged in credibility in your eyes because you made the mistake that they were?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Again, what are you talking about? U2 made it clear they weren't giving you a free album. Yet, they plunged in credibility in your eyes because you made the mistake that they were?

your just looking to argue your point. I get your point. try to get mine. Its easier than you think. Or just call it a day. I have :)

ThirdPrize

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
According to Wikipedia Michael Jackson sold 30 Million copies of Bad. If you include people replacing old copies then there are probably 25+million people with that album, and that was released in 87. Even if just 10% of the 500 million actually wanted it then it would be up there with Jackos Thriller. Not bad for first week sales. ;)

Also, as 7.2 million paid (a LOT of $$ per ticket) to see U2 on their last (360) tour, I would guess that the number of people who actually want this album is more than the 33 million mentioned so far.

rtfmoz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
The hate in here show's a distinct lack of maturity. That probably explains some of it.

Just because you don't like someone's music do you think... it is that important you tell us? If you don't like the music then fine, but a couple million of us have enjoyed it. We don't really need to know you don't like the music. It's just negative. Musical opinion is highly subjective anyway. Much like comedy.

Take a step back, respect that people have differing opinions to yours and leave it alone.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
According to Wikipedia Michael Jackson sold 30 Million copies of Bad. If you include people replacing old copies then there are probably 25+million people with that album, and that was released in 87. Even if just 10% of the 500 million actually wanted it then it would be up there with Jackos Thriller. Not bad for first week sales. ;)

Also, as 7.2 million paid (a LOT of $$ per ticket) to see U2 on their last (360) tour, I would guess that the number of people who actually want this album is more than the 33 million mentioned so far.

Wilkepedia will soon have an entry

Tim Cook bought the most albums in one day and then gave them all away for free...

Dougie83

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Brum, UK
I don't usually use these forums unless I have something to belly-ache about or to see the whining of others. As one of the silent majority I will break that precedence to thank Apple for the nice gesture that they have made. I dislike U2 as they are just not my cup of tea but my kids think they are great and have enjoyed U2s latest offering. When they move on I will just delete it and look forward to Apple's Christmas freebies in the future. At the end of the day whether we are Apple fanboys or Applephobes the company will see all this claptrap as noise that gets shut out amidst their continuing success as a company.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

The key word there is sold. People went out and spent their money on bad because its a great album. they even physically went to the shops and paid for it. This was shoved down the throats of 500 million for free and only 33 million have even bothered to listen to it. Not quite so impressive is it?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Contrary to a lot of negative comments in the last week, by October 13, this album will reside on more storage/iTunes devices, than U2 could have ever dreamt to have albums downloaded thru the iTunes Store, the old fashioned way, in addition to streaming, etc.

U2 got the deal of a lifetime out of this. I know I'm probably in the minority here but, Thanks Tim!

Yes, it was a great deal for U2, definitely. And the band managed to be in more devices than Bono would have ever dreamed of he would count on actual sales. However, a better response was expected given that the album was given away for free.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The key word there is sold. People went out and spent their money on bad because its a great album. they even physically went to the shops and paid for it. This was shoved down the throats of 500 million for free and only 33 million have even bothered to listen to it. Not quite so impressive is it?

Exactly. These U2 numbers are huge for marketing purposes, of course, and they will brag about having the biggest launch ever. But if you put into perspective, it has nothing of extraordinary and it is, in fact, a little disappointing.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, 2 million users downloaded the album in the first 3 days. The album was given for free and it nearly downloaded automatically from the iTunes store. Users had to do basically nothing to get the album and it still was downloaded only 2 million times in the first 3 days.

I also mentioned that Guns N' Roses sold 1.5 million copies of their two Use Your Illusion albums when they were released in 1991. People actually got out of their homes and went into stores to spend real money buying these albums. In 1991, there was not even the Internet to download the album after buying. Just last year, in 2013, Beyonce released an album which sold 800,000 copies on iTunes in the first 3 days. Yes, the album was sold. People downloaded it, but just after spending money buying it.

These are more impressive features than the one U2 achieved. In fact, should the Guns N' Roses or Beyonce album be available for free on the iTunes, at the distance of a mouse click, then perhaps they would be downloaded many millions more times than the U2 album.

Now, when Apple says this 33 million figures, I do not even know what it means. Were the songs accessed 33 million times or that means that 33 million different users accessed it? And what does "access" means? Download? Stream? I am not sure of it.

You can surely not compare this album to the sales (yes, actual sales) of albums such as Michael Jackson's Thriller, Bad or Dangerous, Eagles' Greatest Hits or Hotel California, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall, AC/DC's Back in Black, The Beatles' 1 or Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper's, Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill and other all-time best-sellers. Even the 25 million sales of U2's The Joshua Tree is a much more impressive feature than the 33 million downloads of this Songs of Innocence.

Anyway, if the album is available for free and with ease to 500 million different customers, the fact that only 6.6% listened to it is a little underwhelming.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Put Tupac in everyone's itunes account, everybody aint starving for old rock stars from the 30s.

These guys are "old" yet the alternative you suggest is a guy who died sixteen years ago? And I assume "30s" is a typo? Not sure if your post is serious or sarcastic.

I think many people simply don't understand how music in the cloud works

On the contrary, it's obvious from the comments on the various U2 threads that many people are unaware that it downloaded automatically for many users and thus misunderstand the issue.

Would you rather have some crappy pop album for free?

People would rather not have anything download without asking first. Free album is great. Unwanted album pushed without permission (and unable to delete from the library before that tool went up) is the one and only source of the complaints.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Weird all this hate about U2.
Their albums are always among the best selling of all time and tours all sold out for so many years. I guess the MR hate folks are a huge minority on this universe.

Well you couldn't be more wrong. Not everybody is into U2's music. Just like not everybody is into Dr. Dre's music but he struck a 3 billion deal with Apple. A successful artist doesn't necessarily equate to most people listening to their music.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
At what point will the hipsters say "I hated U2 before it was cool to hate U2"?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Probably none, why would anyone do that?

If this board has taught me anything its never underestimate the stupidity of humanity.

A few very strange people will probably do this but it'll be statistically as close to none as you can get.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
People being stupid? "None" is very, very, unlikely.

OK, so not "none" but close enough to it to be negligible. As stupid as people can be it's hard to imagine more than a handful getting something for free, throwing it away, then paying for it later.

And honestly, after the album has been free for a month it's hard to imagine it will make much of an impact on the charts.

A few very strange people will probably do this but it'll be statistically as close to none as you can get.

This.

Lansylator

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Las Vegas
Weird all this hate about U2.
Their albums are always among the best selling of all time and tours all sold out for so many years. I guess the MR hate folks are a huge minority on this universe.

I agree. Why do people who don't want the album have to be so hateful? I really don't understand. Wouldn't 'not interested' suffice? Maybe they are closeted droid users? Or maybe they are just 'too cool' and would rather listen to the new Maroon 5 album? Haaaaaa!

BTW, this is an excellent album, if you can put your hate aside and just give it a listen.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
U2's 'Songs of Innocence' Accessed Over 33 Million Times Since Start of iTunes Promotion

U2's 'Songs of Innocence' Deleted Over 33 Million Times Since Start of iTunes Promotion

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I agree. Why do people who don't want the album have to be so hateful? I really don't understand. Wouldn't 'not interested' suffice? Maybe they are closeted droid users? Or maybe they are just 'too cool' and would rather listen to the new Maroon 5 album? Haaaaaa!

BTW, this is an excellent album, if you can put your hate aside and just give it a listen.

Because they forced it on people, they didn't offer it to us. Your a typical U2 fan assuming that anyone that doesn't like U2 has no taste and that we are all wrong to not like them.

All people asked was to have to have the choice to get the album or not, we were not offered that, it was shoved forcibly at us whether we wanted it or not so people are annoyed. Im really not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.