Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Is uBar dead? Their support link says:

Site unavailable
Your Atlassian Cloud subscription hasn't been renewed. If you are the site administrator, please check the status of your account on my.atlassian.com.

sarimarton

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2017
Hi,

uBar 4.1.5 doesn't seem to hide when I'm in a fullscreen app. I'd love to use it, and I own it for a while, just couldn't use it so far because this and that detail didn't live up to the expectation. But I love the whole thing.

I'm daily working with a remote desktop app - Citrix Viewer - and that takes over my screen. I'm pretty much sure it uses full screen in a standard way with macOS. Is there any news if and when hiding-in-fullscreen can be done?

dliao

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2016
Hi,

uBar 4.1.5 doesn't seem to hide when I'm in a fullscreen app. I'd love to use it, and I own it for a while, just couldn't use it so far because this and that detail didn't live up to the expectation. But I love the whole thing.

I'm daily working with a remote desktop app - Citrix Viewer - and that takes over my screen. I'm pretty much sure it uses full screen in a standard way with macOS. Is there any news if and when hiding-in-fullscreen can be done?

Can confirm the same thing. Excel, for example, the bottom tabs are behind the uBar.

1586291515701.png

wdhwg001

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
Hi, I'm using uBar on Catalina 10.15.4 and I noticed that uBar seems to be incompatible with my Xcode:

With uBar opened, writing SwiftUI with live preview in Xcode causes a whopping amount of IO Write (~200MB if I copy & paste code to trigger the highlighting). It was fine if I close uBar (~900KB if I copy & paste code in Xcode).

I opened my laptop for less than 4 hours, and it already has 190G Written bytes and 9G Read bytes.

I've created the issue UB-2949, but it's been two months without any replies. For the endurance of my SSD, I think I need to switch back to the built-in Dock until this issue is addressed.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I've created the issue UB-2949, but it's been two months without any replies. For the endurance of my SSD, I think I need to switch back to the built-in Dock until this issue is addressed.

I'm not sure it's being actively supported - I sent in an issue moths ago with no response.

cosolin

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Seattle, WA
I too am having issues with uBar on Mojave and Catalina running machines. All support inquiries have gone to dead air for past year. Anyone know Brawer Software's fate?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I too am having issues with uBar on Mojave and Catalina running machines. All support inquiries have gone to dead air for past year. Anyone know Brawer Software's fate?
It sounds like they have gone belly up. It’s a shame, uBar is the best dock replacement I’ve found.

prometheus12

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2019
It sounds like they have gone belly up. It’s a shame, uBar is the best dock replacement I’ve found.

Agreed, it's great. At least they should have tried to sell it to someone instead of sending it to destination F-ed.

Tryker

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
Yes, it was a really nice Mac dock replacement. I've used uBar for a few years now and have grown to like it a lot. I've submitted questions to them on 3 different occasions but never got more than a robo-response that my issue had been received with no follow up at all. I'm assuming they have gone down the tubes. Hopefully, someone else will come along with a similar product.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, it was a really nice Mac dock replacement. I've used uBar for a few years now and have grown to like it a lot. I've submitted questions to them on 3 different occasions but never got more than a robo-response that my issue had been received with no follow up at all. I'm assuming they have gone down the tubes. Hopefully, someone else will come along with a similar product.
Inresetingly the developr's last post to MR was in April of this year and the site still lists 2020 copyright dates.
[automerge]1599320759[/automerge]

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I hope that the development of uBar continues - I am unsure how come the author hasn't been active. Could be because of COVID-19 in some regard. There's some alternatives if you will, but uBar is its own.

Ayrehead

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
I have been using uBar with mojave, I liked it and it worked ok. When i upgraded to Catalina it acts strange. I tried many things to fix it, such as deleting and reinstalling, but still no good. There was a new release on May 1, 2020, so the developer apparently works on it.

If they get uBar working right I am willing to pay the $30 to buy. Does anyone else feel that way too? Speak up and maybe the developer will get the message.

Reactions: Tryker

prometheus12

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2019
I have been using uBar with mojave, I liked it and it worked ok. When i upgraded to Catalina it acts strange. I tried many things to fix it, such as deleting and reinstalling, but still no good. There was a new release on May 1, 2020, so the developer apparently works on it.

If they get uBar working right I am willing to pay the $30 to buy. Does anyone else feel that way too? Speak up and maybe the developer will get the message.

I'd would have been willing to pay and upgrade fee if there was a fully functioning uBar for BigSur however the developer has gone completely silent and it irked me to see uBar on Black Friday bundle sales which mean that the developer is still around, just not willing to support the product.

I've moved on to using Active Dock (https://noteifyapp.com/activedock/). The developer is super responsive and receptive to adding the few features uBar had but missing in ActiveDock. But even in the current state it's very functional and feature complete, and works very smoothly. The website pics show a certain appearance but it can be customized to look like uBar once you install the app and modify the preferences.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'd would have been willing to pay and upgrade fee if there was a fully functioning uBar for BigSur however the developer has gone completely silent and it irked me to see uBar on Black Friday bundle sales which mean that the developer is still around, just not willing to support the product.

I like ubar, but won't miss it that much, especially since it periodically stops working and the developr seems to have abandoned development.

I've moved on to using Active Dock (https://noteifyapp.com/activedock/). The developer is super responsive and receptive to adding the few features uBar had but missing in ActiveDock. But even in the current state it's very functional and feature complete, and works very smoothly. The website pics show a certain appearance but it can be customized to look like uBar once you install the app and modify the preferences.

Active Dock is a nice alternative; I hope it continues to become more uBar like in terms of features. What I miss in ActiveDock that I like in uBar:

1. The ability to put a set of programs on the right side of the dock. I stick utilities there that I frequently use.
2. Importing the existing Apple Dock. Having to drag programs there to add them is a pain.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
With uBar 4 I'm back to using it. It's frustrating when apps that you like appear to go belly up as the developer continues to work on them.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
With uBar 4 I'm back to using it. It's frustrating when apps that you like appear to go belly up as the developer continues to work on them.
yep, I wish the author, whom I've actually been e-mailing too, to not just go -- silent. No reply in sight for the bug report I sent him(or how many they might be)
If the author wants to push the uBar forum on the user than I would love to have gotten an e-mail notice claiming so, perhaps even with a login already set up for me.

The reason I mention a forum is because I spotted a section on BrawerSoftware that said to participate in the uBar forum. It's a support page powered by Jira.
No? Just answer e-mails with bug reports.

I'm sure there's more stuff to come for uBar, it's just "not nice" to have paid $$ for an app - now to just left hanging.

Perhaps covid-19 really did a larger toll on this developer that I am aware of. And that his watch making business is the one keeping the lights on (I'm sure it is - just me writing nonsense)

So an upgrade to uBar 5 is $39? Okay, let's disappear and not reply to anything anymore.. because we are too busy

edit.. I'm really being an awful person - I was all over this application when I got notice of it.. Now I would probably still use uBar and all my writing is looking to as a personal attack on the developer of uBar.. It's really not.. I just don't express myself well enough to get the right words out. This is the frustrated user writing.

edit2 - realized that I was missing a "not" in a sentence. Made more sense this way.

Last edited:

jyhash

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
I'm really being an awful person - I was all over this application when I got notice of it.. Now I would probably still use uBar and all my writing is looking to as a personal attack on the developer of uBar.. It's really not.. I just don't express myself well enough to get the right words out. This is the frustrated user writing.
No, you're not. This is not new and he's been AWOL for at least 4 years now, and doesn't seem to be interested in supporting the product. Look at this here:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 5.35.36 PM.png

This is my ticket queue from their Atlassian Support Board (They obviously are making enough money to pay for Atlassian products they don't use, which are NOT cheap).

That first one at the bottom? From April 2018, pretty much less than a year after I purchased it. No reply, I had to fix it myself.

Then the next one was from November 2019, right after Catalina dropped and mucked up a bunch of icons and window coverage. No reply and I still can't access any of the native apps from the "Start Menu" (things like TextEdit, Automator, etc).

Then the next one up was from February 2020, BEFORE Covid hit, and he wouldn't even look at it or reply to my catty entry.

Then there's the most current one, from today (June 2021), complaining that I am STILL having the problems from Ticket #2.

The guy is bad at his job, he has zero respect for his customers, and is a COWARD in that he won't even respond to tickets, much less fix any problems.

Here's hoping that ActiveDock cribs all of his features and buries his spineless @$$ and his broken software.

I have zero tolerance for people like this and then have the utter AUDACITY to charge that much for their software.

The moment I have an alternative handy, I'm deleting his app AND continuing to WARN others NOT to buy his software.

You're not being mean, you're a consumer that purchased a product that claimed it had support and that support promise has failed to be followed up on. BrawerSoftware is a bad company, shilling mediocre software, and fleecing its customers. I just wish more people knew about it and would stop keeping them in business by buying it.

Do you hear me, @dermeister? Your support is deplorable.

Reactions: prometheus12

jyhash

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.41.37 AM.png

I love how I call him out publicly on MacRumors and tag him in it and now MAGICALLY my tickets are getting looked at.

What a joke.

Last edited:

Urphin

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Hi. I'm the developer of uBar.

uBar is the dock replacement for the Mac.

Version 4 is available at ubarapp.com - It is a 14 day trial and costs $30 to purchase. uBar 3 users can upgrade for $15.

products_ubar_image100.png

The idea for uBar is to be the Dock replacement for the Mac. It can be configured as either a task bar or dock. Hide titles and set windows to always group, and it is a dock. Show titles and set window grouping to always or automatic, and it is a task bar. uBar designed to be a macOS app before anything, which means it looks beautiful. When uBar is used as a task bar, it looks like it belongs on macOS.

I'm actively developing it and would love to hear everyone's feedback and feature requests. Just look at the release notes to see the huge number of features that are user suggestions!

The latest version is 4.0.0

Twitter: @uBarApp

uBar 3 thread (for reference): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ubar-3.1923796/
uBar 2 thread (for reference): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ubar-2.1750815/

Reviews:
Hi, just installed the trial, but was unable to find a way to insert a separator/spacer between the icons in the row. Is that possible?

Urphin

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Two other things:

1. I did defaults write ca.brawer.uBar showWindowCount -bool YES, but the count does not show up after restart.

2. The manual reordering of app icons from the "Apps" tab in Preferences doesn't work.

Would appreciate any help. FYI, I'm on Big Sur mac mini M1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.