Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jklash1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hi, has anyone installed Ubuntu or any other Linux distro on an NVME drive on a 4,1/5,1?

I currently have Ubuntu 18.04 running on a cheap san disk ssd. I wouldn't mind Mojave and Ubuntu on an NVME.

As I am running Windows on on compatibility mode, I assume that would have to stay within one of the 6 main SATA ports. To be honest I am happy with Windows the way it is.

Thank you.

J.

kazkus

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
Conclusion? Was it worth it? Were you able to have Mojave or any MacOS on the same disk with no issues?
I will use this MacPro5,1 as Linux server, because it has 6 of 32GB memory modules totally 192GB, macOS does not boot. It is worth for me to have a Linux machine with 3+GHz 12-core CPUs, 192GB memory, and 1TB NVMe SSD.
I think that we can have multiple OSes such as macOS and Ubuntu on a single storage, but usually, I install just a single OS per storage device on MacPro5,1, so I cannot guarantee.

kazkus

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
Was there any particular guide that you followed to install Ubuntu?
Which bootpicker did you use to select Ubuntu?
Since that MacPro5,1 is dedicated for Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 LTS, it has only 1TB NVMe SSD for Ubuntu Server, and no other storage device for other OS such as macOS or Windows, so I don't need bootpicker.
I created a USB stick, referring the tutorial https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-macos
then just booted from the USB stick to install Ubuntu on NVMe SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.