Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Seriously, YouTube is like the MySpace of video sites. Is it possible/likely for Apple to eventually reach new deals with other flash video providers? I heard a Hulu app is being offered on a new phone (can't remember which).

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
A Hulu app would be freakin awesome! I would be all over that! I just don't realize why companies aren't all about maximizing their distribution channels...

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
To be honest I would prefer to see the YouTube app completely rebuilt from the ground up with a new searching system and much much more functionality.

It's nigh useless as is, because you can't find anything.

Phazer

slidetounlock

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
You will never see Hulu on the iphone, never.....quote me

I work for one of the companies that are part of this 'project' aka Hulu, it isnt going to happen.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I have never even heard of Vimeo or Hulu.

For me, all YouTube needs is high quality videos on 3G...and comments.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I would punch someone in the face for Hulu on the iPod/Phone and/or AppleTV.

slidetounlock said:
You will never see Hulu on the iphone, never.....quote me

I work for one of the companies that are part of this 'project' aka Hulu, it isnt going to happen.
Not going to argue with you about this (I don't know if you really work for the Hulu group, are in a position to know anything if you do work there, and don't really care, to be honest) but NBC/Universal/Fox/et al are stupid to not want to get that site onto as many devices as possible. They (try to, at least) make money selling ads in their streaming video and if they limit the number of people who can use them they're just shooting the whole thing in the foot, imo.

Adding Hulu.com to the iPhone/touch and ATV would really make the site explode, imo. Even doing a subscription service for those devices would be huge.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I have never even heard of Vimeo or Hulu.

For me, all YouTube needs is high quality videos on 3G...and comments.

You need to get out more. Or less, I suppose. :p If YouTube is the MySpace of internet video (pretty accurate) Vimeo is sort of the Facebook. Better interface, better community, less people playing with broomstick lightsabers. Maybe a more accurate analogy would be YouTube = America's Funniest Home Videos and Vimeo = Project Greelight.

Hulu.com is a free, ad-supported streaming TV/movie service run by Universal/NBC and Fox. It's actually pretty well done, but there's no way to use it off your computer, which limits its usefulness.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
You need to get out more. Or less, I suppose. :p If YouTube is the MySpace of internet video (pretty accurate) Vimeo is sort of the Facebook. Better interface, better community, less people playing with broomstick lightsabers. Maybe a more accurate analogy would be YouTube = America's Funniest Home Videos and Vimeo = Project Greelight.

Hulu.com is a free, ad-supported streaming TV/movie service run by Universal/NBC and Fox. It's actually pretty well done, but there's no way to use it off your computer, which limits its usefulness.

... and only available in the USA

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Hulu, Vimeo, or each network's own system. My computer isn't powerful enough to use Hulu or the CBS archive and would love to watch them on my iPhone, or through my dock connection on my TV.

TEG

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Hulu, Vimeo, or each network's own system. My computer isn't powerful enough to use Hulu or the CBS archive and would love to watch them on my iPhone, or through my dock connection on my TV.

TEG

Same here. I'm still on a four-year-old G4 that can barely handle Flash.

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
maybe we should sign a petition and send it to HULU requesting an iPhone App :)

EDIT: then we have to sign another petition requesting Apple to put it on App Store...

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I also don't think we'll ever see Hulu on iPhone. I think we'll see Vimeo soon. I'm not privy to inside knowledge, it's just Vimeo is a much more savvy web 2.0 company than NBC. The lack of NBC from iTMS for a period of time shows where their priorities are.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Ohhh.. Hulu on my iPhone. Someone make one now! That would be great... I just started using the site again when I noticed they adding The Daily Show. :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I doubt Hulu will re-encode all their video for iPhone like YouTube has been doing.

But what COULD happen is that Adobe gives developers a way to play Flash content on iPhone. Not through Safari probably, but Flash playback components that can be built into custom third-party apps. So Hulu.com won't run but a free Hulu app could do the job even better.

I hope that happens!

violet37

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
modernfeed.com

Modern Feed has a pretty good iPhone app and has all the shows that are on Hulu - legally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.