Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
As of tonight, I am finally getting Dolby Vision on all the Apple TV+ shows that are supposed to have it on my Apple TV 4K. Hopefully it stays this way this time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well that explains it, you aren't watching true Dolby Vision as per the original source ;)

You never are. The original movie source 500-1000+ Mb/s looks amazing. The consumer available UHD 80-110 Mb/s source looks very good. The lossy 10-20 Mb/s streamed version only looks good when compared to older streamed formats.

HDR10, HDR10+, vs DV streamed is akin to arguing VHS vs S-VHS...I would say its even less than that. There is just too much information lost to really say "thats an amazing picture thanks to HDR".

Stream HDR content isn't "bad" its just no where near what your TV is capable of due to being limited by network bandwidth.

You said you have an LG OLED? If you have a media server or laptop capable of 4k 10bit output find a 4k HDR 10bit HEVC sample video like Jellyfish 100-200Mb/s or Samsung Travel 4k UHD. That still isn't the best your TV can do but the difference between that and HDR streamed content is night and day.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You never are. The original movie source 500-1000+ Mb/s looks amazing. The consumer available UHD 80-110 Mb/s source looks very good. The lossy 10-20 Mb/s streamed version only looks good when compared to older streamed formats.

HDR10, HDR10+, vs DV streamed is akin to arguing VHS vs S-VHS...I would say its even less than that. There is just too much information lost to really say "thats an amazing picture thanks to HDR".

Stream HDR content isn't "bad" its just no where near what your TV is capable of due to being limited by network bandwidth.

You said you have an LG OLED? If you have a media server or laptop capable of 4k 10bit output find a 4k HDR 10bit HEVC sample video like Jellyfish 100-200Mb/s or Samsung Travel 4k UHD. That still isn't the best your TV can do but the difference between that and HDR streamed content is night and day.
Context is everything. The comment made was in context of what Apple is serving ;)

And yes I use an Oppo player with it as well. It’s definitely better. But Apple is good enough.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Context is everything. The comment made was in context of what Apple is serving ;)

And yes I use an Oppo player with it as well. It’s definitely better. But Apple is good enough.

I understand that. And yes its good enough because it has to be. Its just disappointing that we will be replacing our TV's before their potential was ever realized you know? Its not like they can really do much else about unless the big broadband companies decide to give us those Korean speeds at an affordable rate.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It’s not that great in Korea for everyone. When I was there back in March it was pretty ****.

however where I live 45 is the maximum. And with only 235 connections on the exchange there is no chance of an upgrade any time soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.