Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Whats stopping anyone from adopting Android open source and launching their own OS/Store/Phone lineup ?
BlackBerry attempted this with their latest smartphone line of product. They failed and decided to shut down (at least for now) their mobile devices business. Their original Blackberry devices’ underlying idea was good, but they got stuck on their 90’s mindset while the world evolved.

Same goes for Microsoft - as proven by the now “Amazon Store app” you can download on Windows 11, allowing one to run Android apps on Windows computers.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple and Google should form a union. If a country wants to play with hard rules, then Apple and Google can collectively pull out of the country. Imagine a country left without iOS and Android in 2023. Let's see how fast their citizens overthrow their government.

Can’t tell if you’re in favor of cartels or want the full blown corporate world experience of Snow Crash.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Nokia, Samsung, and Microsoft - they all tried to break into the mobile OS game.

They all 's a TON of money to make it happen.

But they couldn't, because:

1. there was no market demand for a third OS (i.e. what could a third OS provide the other two can't?), and

2. app developers were not willing to support a third platform with a smaller user base.

This dynamic created what is effectively a duopoly that we see today.

It is natural and inevitable for governments to look into all duopolies, especially ones that impose their own policies and rules on all that use them.

I hope that governments reach sensible conclusions on this, but not holding my breath.
One thing you missed! The devices these OS's go on, are not particularly good, and that is why I, as an example, don't purchase those devices.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
At least on for profit business they are able to justify all money they make. What does our government produces again to justify all taxation?

Oh, right, they don’t. They are paid by the population to protect our best interests. When did you or I complained about this duopoly again?

Do you really not know what the government "produces"?

How about the education system, healthcare, public roads, parks, laws, fire departments, social programs?

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
One thing you missed! The devices these OS's go on, are not particularly good, and that is why I, as an example, don't purchase those devices.
The Windows Phones were all given rave reviews (they were produced by Nokia).

Reactions: RuralJuror

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Great... UK Government, a slimey, two-faced bunch of greedy, incompetent, arrogant half wits are going to investigate - what could possibly go wrong?

• Love
Reactions: orbital~debris

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
These governments should not be getting involved. They are always looking for trouble.
They are always looking for a new source of tax revenue. I'm sure that in the aftermath of Brexit the UK has been scrambling to find some way to squeeze more taxes out of citizens and industry to keep the worm-ridden ship of state from sinking.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
As a proponent of user safety, privacy, and limited ads (e.g. Brave + uBlock Origin), I'd welcome alternative web engines on iOS. Don't get me wrong - WebKit is great - but it does not go far enough. Bring back privacy!

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
What I don’t understand about “investigations” like this, is that they’re seemingly viewing a market as if Apple and Google harmed its citizens to get to the point where their platforms are the only options people have. Yet, if they were to take a historical view, they’d realize (without wasting time and millions of dollars) that the smartphone and computer markets already went through significant changes over the course of the past 40 years and where we are at today is the result of consumer choice, not some bad actor big tech brands.

A company can reach and/or maintain dominance simply by having a better product but they can also reach and/or maintain dominance through unfair anticompetitive behavior e.g., restricting or blocking competition, predatory pricing, collusion, etc. The issue is not (or should not be) about the dominance alone, it's about the dominance combined with potentially unfair anticompetitive behavior such as restricting alternative app store and sideloading for apps or browser extensions, restricting browser engines, etc.

Also, "citizens" are not just the consumers buying the products but also current or potential competitors and companies that do business one way or another with the dominant company. Going back to the Microsoft charges in the 1990s, there probably weren't a lot of Windows/PC end users who were complaining about or felt they were being harmed by Microsoft providing Internet Explorer for "free" (compared to Netscape which was mostly charging for Navigator at the time) but that didn't mean Microsoft wasn't using its market power, dominance, etc. to unfairly control the market and block competition.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
There was demand for a third OS, Microsoft used to be a big player. Same with research in motion blackberryOS. That used to be the dominant smartphone platform.

It’s just that android and iOS had better technology and the competitor OSes couldn’t keep up but if blackberryOS had evolved quickly enough to keep up with the features offered by iOS, with rich apps with the same or similar functionality as iOS, many blackberry owners would’ve continued on with blackberry. But they couldn’t keep up and so we have the duopoly we see today.
Symbian was the dominant smartphone OS prior to Android.

Nokia tried to pivot to touchscreens but fumbled significantly with the implementation before abandoning it entirely to strike a deal with Microsoft.

Windows Phone should have been successful but was effectively strangled by Google, who refused to make their services available on the platform (presumably Google knew they needed to kill of Windows Phone to ensure Android’s dominance). It worked.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
A company can reach and/or maintain dominance simply by having a better product but they can also reach and/or maintain dominance through unfair anticompetitive behavior e.g., restricting or blocking competition, predatory pricing, collusion, etc. The issue is not (or should not be) about the dominance alone, it's about the dominance combined with potentially unfair anticompetitive behavior such as restricting alternative app store and sideloading for apps or browser extensions, restricting browser engines, etc.

Also, "citizens" are not just the consumers buying the products but also current or potential competitors and companies that do business one way or another with the dominant company. Going back to the Microsoft charges in the 1990s, there probably weren't a lot of Windows/PC end users who were complaining about or felt they were being harmed by Microsoft providing Internet Explorer for "free" (compared to Netscape which was mostly charging for Navigator at the time) but that didn't mean Microsoft wasn't using its market power, dominance, etc. to unfairly control the market and block competition.
Not allowing alternative app stores doesn’t actually prevent businesses from reaching customers, but it certainly makes it more difficult for them since they’d need to attract those people via the internet rather than an app.

The only place where I can see Apple genuinely being anti-competitive is with Apple Music and Apple TV+, neither of which have to pay commission to sell subscriptions on the App Store. They either need to be spun off as separate companies where the commission does apply, or the commission rate for competing services should be the same as what Apple pays (i.e., nothing). The commission for other apps I see no problem with.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
If you are only talking about popular cell phone manufacturers then South Korea’s Samsung should have been mentioned at least. As far as software, Google originated Android OS and Apple developed iPhone OS, and both competed against Blackberry and Nokia and Microsoft and people preferred Apple and Google for smartphone OS’s. Unless someone has factual information about strong arm tactics against other systems I don’t think a company should be punished for becoming popular.

Reactions: orbital~debris

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
An Apple spokesperson said: "We will continue to engage constructively with the Competition and Markets Authority to explain how our approach promotes competition and choice, while ensuring consumers' privacy and security are always protected. I mean, except for pictures on iCloud. Those just get copied and sent to random devices, lol.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.