Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Blocking or restricting alternative app stores and/or sideloading puts up arguably unfair (this if for regulators to decide) barriers for developers in providing apps to their customers. This can notably impact the mobile app market when one of the players (Apple/iOS) has a large share of mobile OS.

I'm not familiar with the arrangement but wouldn't see this as an issue, at least from an antitrust perspective. Having to pay fees/commissions to Apple would just be about moving money around within the company. What could potentially become an antitrust issue is Apple giving Apple Music and Apple TV+ "special treatment" as far as positioning or prioritization on iOS, given their dominance in mobile OS.
Surely if you can go via the web there isn’t fairer access to consumers than that?

Reactions: BKDad

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
This argument is dead in 2022. Maybe in 2010 you have a point.

The barrier to entry jointly built by Apple and Google is too high for anyone else to come in.

That is why the duopoly exists. It's not that you can't, it's that it's been made near impossible to do just that.
Exactly. We need to fix the reason there are only 2 operating systems, but otherwise let them do as they please.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What I don’t understand about “investigations” like this, is that they’re seemingly viewing a market as if Apple and Google harmed its citizens to get to the point where their platforms are the only options people have. Yet, if they were to take a historical view, they’d realize (without wasting time and millions of dollars) that the smartphone and computer markets already went through significant changes over the course of the past 40 years and where we are at today is the result of consumer choice, not some bad actor big tech brands.
Nobody cares about history. Just look at the general politicians and movements today. All they see is something is wrong today, and they want an instant fix.

I don't see anything wrong with Apple as they're the only one making iPhones. Vertical integration is not illegal. What they should look at is Google's Chrome dominance, as Google is forcing Android OEMs to pre-install Chrome and other Google bloatware if they want their devices to be certified. That's an obvious Microsoft-style anti competitive, but nobody seemed to care. Google gets a lot of free passes for decades.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
As a proponent of user safety, privacy, and limited ads (e.g. Brave + uBlock Origin), I'd welcome alternative web engines on iOS. Don't get me wrong - WebKit is great - but it does not go far enough. Bring back privacy!
Webkit may not go far enough, but it better than opening up to third-party. Webkit is a known and controlled animal. If they open to other engines some may opt for a more secure engine (DDG) but I would bet most will opt for one with many more holes, built in trackers, etc.

edit: typo: someday to "some may"

Last edited:

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Not allowing alternative app stores doesn’t actually prevent businesses from reaching customers, but it certainly makes it more difficult for them since they’d need to attract those people via the internet rather than an app.

The only place where I can see Apple genuinely being anti-competitive is with Apple Music and Apple TV+, neither of which have to pay commission to sell subscriptions on the App Store. They either need to be spun off as separate companies where the commission does apply, or the commission rate for competing services should be the same as what Apple pays (i.e., nothing). The commission for other apps I see no problem with.
From an accounting standpoint I would bet these services do pay the fees. Yes, it all rolls to the same parent entity (Apple) but you can be sure that Apple Music and Apple TV+ run as separate P&Ls and have to show necessary profits. These fees would be expenses on their sheets. If Apple Music does not make its numbers (Subscriptions revenue less subscription fees less royalties less operating costs = acceptable profit) they would need some big justification to not get shut down. Same for TV+ (Subscription revenue plus partner payments for app on TVs less subscription fees less production costs less operating costs = acceptable profit) they would nee some big justification to not get shut down.

OK, Music goes way back with Apple, so corporate may "invest" in that business if it loses money. But that would be shown as such with a liability on Music's balance sheet.

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
In the end, mobile OSs should be like PC ones.

There's nothing singular in the mobile OS experience that would prevent this.

On my Mac, I can use Firefox, Chrome or whatever.

I can pay for goods in my web browser using whatever payment processes the website that I'm on supports. And they can use whatever they like. If consumers don't like what they've chosen, they'll go elsewhere.

I haven't got an MBA, but what Google and Apple are doing is clearly using their market dominance to control and distort the mobile commerce market - any arguments that they make about 'user safety' are smokescreens for keeping this control.
On my iPad, I can use Firefox, Chrome or whatever. Same on my iPhone.

I can pay for goods in my web browser using whatever payment processes the website that I'm on supports. And they can use whatever they like. If consumers don't like what they've chosen, they'll go elsewhere.

So, we're already there.

• Disagree
Reactions: freedomlinux

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Exactly. We need to fix the reason there are only 2 operating systems, but otherwise let them do as they please.
And, what is that reason?

I would guess that if there was a real business opportunity for a new operating system, somebody would jump in both feet waving. Some have tried in the past, of course. The reason they failed was usually because their product wasn't compelling enough for the market to gather enough investment, so people didn't grab onto that system. But, even IBM gave up and they certainly had enough resources that they ultimately chose not to deploy.

For most people, I bet their calculation on which operating system to use is based around both practical considerations (Will it run Excel? Word? Does it work with my school system?) and various intangibles, like how much the product sells for, what their personal acquaintance circle uses, and the effect of advertising and peer pressure. Adding more choices isn't always better for most people, other than in theory.

rp100

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
The truth is that the “government” is doing an “investigation” because the government has to maintain the appearance of being “for the people” and furthering the cause of “general welfare”. The government WANTS there to be a duopoly because:

1. It gives the illusion of a free market (you have a choice: fruits or robots)
2. It centralizes control by eliminating a wide base of competitors which are harder to manage, predict, threaten, bribe, and blackmail.

Without law or dictate, the government cannot compel the creation and usage of a new, alternative mobile operating system. What exactly are they hoping to achieve? Concoct a scheme to fine Apple and Google, the proceeds of which will be spent on additional government largesse?

If you are exuberantly pro-government because you think capitalism or free enterprise are corrupt to the core, I advise you to look at the last 2000 years of history. Every last government has fallen due to corruption. Every one. They are not your savior and will fail you when you least expect it. The best case scenario is a government with multiple checks and balances, wide distribution of power, and few laws and regulations (which are ultimately used to exploit the honest). Every law, every rule, every handout, every “investigation” ultimately benefits someone. If you see an industry cheering about potential regulation, rest assured that you are not the beneficiary.

If this dog and pony show concludes that everything is “okay”, will you really believe it?

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Seems to me that the UK government is the only government making this decision to launch an investigation. They should be forced to allow at least two other governments to be created at the national level to make rules for the people of the UK so that the people and businesses can choose which government rules they want to live under! 😃
They already sort of do. The monarchy signed the Magna Carta. Just rescind it - then there will be parliamentary government and the Crown as separate. Of course I do recall wars being fought over that.

/s

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
You could still easily download Netscape Navigator on Windows too, or use it on Macintosh, Linux/Unix-based machines, etc. This didn't mean Microsoft wasn’t violating antitrust laws and regulations in its activities in the browser market.
Downloading other browsers or even including IE by default was NOT the antitrust issue. To imply so is both wrong and misleading.

Microsoft included the IE browser but it also embedded then into the OS so it could not be removed. They also actively worked against Netscape and others by precluding the PC manufacturers from including alternatives preinstalled on their PCs or MS would rescind their licenses (effectively putting those PCs out of business). Plus a bunch of other things.

I don't see the comparison between Apple today and what MS did then.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
And, what is that reason?

I would guess that if there was a real business opportunity for a new operating system, somebody would jump in both feet waving. Some have tried in the past, of course. The reason they failed was usually because their product wasn't compelling enough for the market to gather enough investment, so people didn't grab onto that system. But, even IBM gave up and they certainly had enough resources that they ultimately chose not to deploy.

For most people, I bet their calculation on which operating system to use is based around both practical considerations (Will it run Excel? Word? Does it work with my school system?) and various intangibles, like how much the product sells for, what their personal acquaintance circle uses, and the effect of advertising and peer pressure. Adding more choices isn't always better for most people, other than in theory.
The reason needs to be established by the regulators so that they can put measures in place to mitigate against it.

• Wow

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
What’s the logical conclusion? You buy a new computer, turn it on, and instead of being able to use it right away you to have to slog through an hour of choosing a browser, an email client, a messaging app, a music service, a video streaming service, a this-or-that. Nothing comes pre-installed, just the operating system and there’s nothing keeping the regulators from forcing the user to choose that too. All in the name of competition and fairness. Good grief.
I cannot believe that you are really that dense. Having choice about how the owner (read I said, the owner) of the device uses the device is not in any way related to what is configured by default or recommended by the manufacturer.

It seems clear to me that you do not believe in competition, fairness, and freedom of speech. I wonder what you do believe in?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I didn't say let's replace governments with for-profit businesses.

Not remotely the same thing.
If a random guy on the internet can draw that conclusion, you can bet someone else also can, which means what you describe is questionable at best.
Also, be careful what you ask for. Don't come back to us saying you don't want Apple controlling your power supply when Apple and Google successfully buy out the entire country you live in right now.
Whats stopping anyone from adopting Android open source and launching their own OS/Store/Phone lineup ?
Yeah, nothing stops anyone from adopting AOSP and developing their own OS/Store/Phone. Except:
1. huge capital support. I am talking about $10b minimum.
2. outstanding features that both iOS and Android are sorely lacking and difficult to replicate 1:1 by either Apple or Google in a reasonable amount of time.
3. ample committed developer support upon initial release, including major app's developers vowing to support that new platform. A new phone without access to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube, TikTok apps and such cant gain traction with the general public within a year or two. Windows Phone failed in this regard and we all know where Windows Phone went since then.

If someone is able to assemble a team with $10b capital and satisfy the above, we might see an emerging 3rd mobile platform with successful commercially available devices we can buy and try out.
Yes, there's that Linux phone, but their selling point is not having those mainstream apps.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Apple and Google should form a union. If a country wants to play with hard rules, then Apple and Google can collectively pull out of the country. Imagine a country left without iOS and Android in 2023. Let's see how fast their citizens overthrow their government.
Funny but apple and google seem to value profits more than sticking it to the governments. China has many restrictions and yet apple still not only does business there, but also manufactures its phones there as well.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Wait until they find out about home computers? They are going to really freak out.

Or commercial jet manufacturing.

Or diamond exports.

They are going to lose their minds.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Linux. That 0.000001% market share on desktop saves them. :)
Even with 100% they would have no issues, because they have no „market“, market is a commercial thing, Linux is fully OpenSource.

Anyway without Linux/GNUTools or FreeBSD and all the OpenSource Software and Libraries Apple would hold zero in their hands(from networking stack to a simple zip file), and probably not being able to compete in any way now a day.

Just Microsoft would be able to exist without Linux, but even they had to learn the hard way. Linux is here to stay and power the infrastructure all this end consumer Apple crap is build on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.