Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
They already sort of do. The monarchy signed the Magna Carta. Just rescind it - then there will be parliamentary government and the Crown as separate. Of course I do recall wars being fought over that.

/s
Government is still one single entity at this point, though, regardless of whether or not there are separate branches. We need MORE!

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Can’t tell if you’re in favor of cartels or want the full blown corporate world experience of Snow Crash.
They can hardly do worse than governments…can they? I mean the bar is so so low. If they just avoid genocide for 50 years whatever else they do they will be way ahead.

Reactions: hooptyuber

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
This investigation is another giant example of government wasting time and money. Apple and Google won their market dominance by providing more value / utility than their competition. No one forced the billions of people who buy their products or use their services, they did it out of their own free will. Now politicians and bureaucrats want to reduce their incentive to keep innovating lest they become even more successful. In the end consumers will be harmed by this, not helped.

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Even with 100% they would have no issues, because they have no „market“, market is a commercial thing, Linux is fully OpenSource.

Anyway without Linux/GNUTools or FreeBSD and all the OpenSource Software and Libraries Apple would hold zero in their hands(from networking stack to a simple zip file), and probably not being able to compete in any way now a day.

Just Microsoft would be able to exist without Linux, but even they had to learn the hard way. Linux is here to stay and power the infrastructure all this end consumer Apple crap is build on.
I find it interesting that you separate open source from market. If Linux had 100% market share there’d be far less competition in the market.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
There was demand for a third OS, Microsoft used to be a big player. Same with research in motion blackberryOS. That used to be the dominant smartphone platform.

It’s just that android and iOS had better technology and the competitor OSes couldn’t keep up but if blackberryOS had evolved quickly enough to keep up with the features offered by iOS, with rich apps with the same or similar functionality as iOS, many blackberry owners would’ve continued on with blackberry. But they couldn’t keep up and so we have the duopoly we s
Forget Microsoft. And remember Blackberry. Blackberry used to be the dominant smartphone OS. Until it wasn’t relevant anymore. But if it had kept up with iOS and android, I strongly believe it would’ve maintained a foothold. Also interesting was the palm webos technology.

There would not have been a need to "keep up" if Microsoft, Palm, Blackberry, Nokia hadn't fallen asleep at the wheel. They had major headstarts on Apple and should have been leading, not following. This is where they failed.

Look at the reactions and mentality:

Microsoft:

Black CEO 2007: Balsillie on the iPhone in February 2007: "It’s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that’s overstating it."

Palm: “Is Apple serious competition?: Palm CEO Ed Colligan seems downright nonchalant about rumors that Apple may introduce a mobile phone to market in the coming year,” ...

Asleep at the wheel.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
On my iPad, I can use Firefox, Chrome or whatever. Same on my iPhone.

I can pay for goods in my web browser using whatever payment processes the website that I'm on supports. And they can use whatever they like. If consumers don't like what they've chosen, they'll go elsewhere.

So, we're already there.
No you can’t, it’s just Safari WebKit with a different UI.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
This should be interesting. I’m pretty sure there’ll be some knee-jerk reactions in the comments, but at the end of the day it’s just an investigation - what happens as a consequence is another matter.
This investigation is going to cost British taxpayers a lot of money for no reason. Plus the anti-competition and anti-markets authority has a vested interest in government overreach to justify their existence.

Reactions: BKDad

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I find it interesting that you separate open source from market. If Linux had 100% market share there’d be far less competition in the market.
Well, yes, but any new competition could simply take the same stuff and start competing, there is no show stoppers. Just like there are derivatives of Debian->Ubuntu->Mint or RedHat->CentOS/AlmaLinux and so on.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I hope that governments reach sensible conclusions on this, but not holding my breath.
Government will never reach a sensible conclusion on matters like this. The bureaucrats who run the CMA have a vested interest in justifying their existence and fabricating reasons to grow their budgets and expand their power.

Reactions: BKDad

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
They can hardly do worse than governments…can they? I mean the bar is so so low. If they just avoid genocide for 50 years whatever else they do they will be way ahead.

Read Snow Crash, I think they can do worse.

The United States is basically an experiment in corporate government. They started with very high ideals (theoretically.) So far so good…?

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Even with 100% they would have no issues, because they have no „market“, market is a commercial thing, Linux is fully OpenSource.

Anyway without Linux/GNUTools or FreeBSD and all the OpenSource Software and Libraries Apple would hold zero in their hands(from networking stack to a simple zip file), and probably not being able to compete in any way now a day.

Just Microsoft would be able to exist without Linux, but even they had to learn the hard way. Linux is here to stay and power the infrastructure all this end consumer Apple crap is build on.
First, it was a joke. Secondly, market share is not necessarily a commercial thing. Market share: "The portion of a market controlled by a particular company or product."

Example: 10 total computer users
  • Windows - 6 users
  • Mac - 3 users
  • Linux - 1 user
Linux has 10% market share. Revenue, open source, or "commercial" does not play in.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Surely if you can go via the web there isn’t fairer access to consumers than that?

The convenience and potentially unique functionality of mobile apps are a major part of the mobile software business and if Apple is restricting access to apps on their dominant mobile OS (iOS), it could be an antitrust violation.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Downloading other browsers or even including IE by default was NOT the antitrust issue. To imply so is both wrong and misleading.

Microsoft included the IE browser but it also embedded then into the OS so it could not be removed. They also actively worked against Netscape and others by precluding the PC manufacturers from including alternatives preinstalled on their PCs or MS would rescind their licenses (effectively putting those PCs out of business). Plus a bunch of other things.

I don't see the comparison between Apple today and what MS did then.

My reply was in response to a comment about alternatives. Just because IE was included with Windows didn't mean end users had to use it or couldn't download alternative browsers (or browser engines) such as Netscape Navigator, or use Netscape Navigator on alternative Macintosh, Linux, etc. machines. Again, the availability of alternatives did not and does not eliminate the possibility of related antitrust violations.

As far as Apple is concerned here, in various ways they are even more restrictive than Microsoft was. Apple not only restricts alternative app stores, browser engines, sideloading, etc. on iPhones/iOS they sell and those sold by third party retailers like AT&T, Best Buy, etc., but maintains similar restrictions on what end users can do.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
You had Microsoft and Blackberry once upon a time all in the market together along with Apple and Google, people chose either Google or Apple as the other two were complete crap and Blackberry was dying anyway. There is only a duopoly because that's what the people chose.

I'd rather a duopoly than 50 different app stores with poorly designed apps in each one.

Reactions: Matthew.H and BKDad

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
How does that matter?

Beneath it all, it's the same set of machine language instructions at some level, too.
Nope, the interpretation matters and goes over to implementation and compiler optimization. It’s all too complex to simplify it the way you‘re trying, heh.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
My reply was in response to a comment about alternatives. Just because IE was included with Windows didn't mean end users had to use it or couldn't download alternative browsers (or browser engines) such as Netscape Navigator, or use Netscape Navigator on alternative Macintosh, Linux, etc. machines. Again, the availability of alternatives did not and does not eliminate the possibility of related antitrust violations.

As far as Apple is concerned here, in various ways they are even more restrictive than Microsoft was. Apple not only restricts alternative app stores, browser engines, sideloading, etc. on iPhones/iOS they sell and those sold by third party retailers like AT&T, Best Buy, etc., but maintains similar restrictions on what end users can do.
Vertical integration is not illegal. Apple could lock down Mac to only allow apps from the Mac pp Store. It would not be illegal. It would be suicidal since they are now imposing controls where they never were. People would balk. Similar to how Microsoft tried to do that with the MS App Store on Windows S (or whatever it was called). It never worked since people are used to being able to load software from alternate sources. Doesn't make it restrictive or ant-consumer at all.

As for AT&T, Best Buy, etc - The sales channel is irrelevant. Just because you can buy an iPhone at Best Buy does not automatically mean it should be more open than the vertical structure permits. The retailers may price below MSRP (which Apple does not like, tries to stop, and can sever reseller agreements over) but no reseller may sell below the MAP set by Apple and I would bet MSRP and MAP are very close for products like the iPhone.

All that said - let me run MacOS on my iPad (if even only in a docked mode)!

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
Yeah let's replace governments with for-profit businesses, what could possibly go wrong
Yeah, let's replace capitalism with state-run economies. Heck, that's never been tried before, has it? What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: T Coma

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Apple and Google should form a union. If a country wants to play with hard rules, then Apple and Google can collectively pull out of the country. Imagine a country left without iOS and Android in 2023. Let's see how fast their citizens overthrow their government.
LMAO

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I used to think that governments should keep out of corporate life, free markets and all that, but it is clear that the dominance of Google and Apple is way beyond anything Microsoft ever achieved. The dominance is virtually total and something must be done.

For example, how dare Apple allude to the idea of getting rid of the Twitter app (e.g. 'we're keeping an eye on its moderation policies'). Whatever your views on Twitter's direction, it should be up to ME on MY phone whether or not I wish to download and use the Twitter app. I don't want Father Apple telling me what the heck I can download. Keep your nose out of politics, Apple!
For what it's worth, I agree, entirely.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Apple and Google should form a union. If a country wants to play with hard rules, then Apple and Google can collectively pull out of the country. Imagine a country left without iOS and Android in 2023. Let's see how fast their citizens overthrow their government.
China could come up with a functional mobile OS; they may already have one. It might not be as consumer-friendly as the others, but it would be a lot easier for them to control. I think the Chinese government would consider this to be a win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.