Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
That along with the new remote that I can now control my TV and volume with and a few other minor enhancements make it a worthwhile upgrade from my ATV2 that I had before.
That's my feeling too. Over Christmas we found that we did in fact want to watch live TV and bought an HDHomeRun Connect and the Channels app for ATV4. Sure, we could have just plugged the aerial into the TV and got Freeview that way but the HDHomeRun Connect/Channels combination has a much better interface, a better picture, means we don't need to switch inputs, and we only need one remote (also the HDHomeRun streams TV all around the house). So that's at least three compelling reasons for us to choose the ATV4 over the ATV2/3: volume control on the remote, iPlayer app, Channels app.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Thing is, everything runs plex. Got that on my smart tv too. It's hard to find a compelling reason now to choose Apple TV over fire tv, nvidia shield, roku etc etc. Pains me to say it but it's way behind. For me, Apple are needing a big big year on so many fronts.
You couldn't run Plex on the ATV 1-3, which was the point my last post was responding to as it was a main reason in me thinking it was worth upgrading.
I have an extensive purchase library of iTunes movies so all those other devices are not something I could consider. Yes you could argue that I have become a slave to and tied myself to Apple devices by purchasing so much iTunes content, but the fact is that is the ecosystem I have chosen to invest in and, for me, it works.
I'm not saying the Apple TV is the best choice for everyone, it is quite a niche device compared to some of the ones you have listed, I won't deny that. But if your primary movie/tv consumption is iTunes then its the best device for you.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
You couldn't run Plex on the ATV 1-3, which was the point my last post was responding to as it was a main reason in me thinking it was worth upgrading.
I have an extensive purchase library of iTunes movies so all those other devices are not something I could consider. Yes you could argue that I have become a slave to and tied myself to Apple devices by purchasing so much iTunes content, but the fact is that is the ecosystem I have chosen to invest in and, for me, it works.
I'm not saying the Apple TV is the best choice for everyone, it is quite a niche device compared to some of the ones you have listed, I won't deny that. But if your primary movie/tv consumption is iTunes then its the best device for you.

Yeah these are all valid points. I did buy into iTunes for a while but the dynamic range issue on the latest Apple TV put me off although I believe this is now fixed after a year of complaining. I do use infuse and love it but I think I'll buy a 4K TV towards the end of this year meaning that I'll be looking elsewhere. I admit to growing frustration with apple products which has been accelerated by purchasing an echo. I was happy enough with the walled garden when apple were the best at everything they did but it's getting harder to hold that viewpoint.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah these are all valid points. I did buy into iTunes for a while but the dynamic range issue on the latest Apple TV put me off although I believe this is now fixed after a year of complaining. I do use infuse and love it but I think I'll buy a 4K TV towards the end of this year meaning that I'll be looking elsewhere. I admit to growing frustration with apple products which has been accelerated by purchasing an echo. I was happy enough with the walled garden when apple were the best at everything they did but it's getting harder to hold that viewpoint.
I can understand that. I have developed a few frustrations with Apple systems in the past few years. And with the insane price increases of the MacBooks in the U.K. this year, I am starting to question as to whether my future investment will continue to stay with Apple.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
All4 TV app is watered down it appears on Apple TV compared to IOS. No feature to watch Live TV on Apple TV means have to mirror from IOS?

ITV also appears to limit streaming of live TV also.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
In the UK at the moment Apple TV is not that great, I wish Virgin or Sky will properly implement it, then the other ones will have to follow

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
All4 TV app is watered down it appears on Apple TV compared to IOS. No feature to watch Live TV on Apple TV means have to mirror from IOS?

You can stream ITV fine. What issue you found?

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
You can stream ITV fine. What issue you found?
I found with ITV it would not stream a movie it was premiering. Would not do it either in my iPad. Managed fine with streaming ITV 2 when I tried its live feed though. Will keep on checking it as probably something my end so not the end of the world.

Update: is now fully working

Last edited:

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK

Download an app called TV Player if you want to do that, although you'd be much better off just switching to Freeview HD and watching it there as the picture quality will be vastly superior.

Reactions: George Dawes

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

This isn't unique to Apple TV among streaming boxes. I can't watch live TV on the All4 app on Roku. But its not much of an issue as I tend to just use the already-mentioned TVPlayer app to watch live.

Download an app called TV Player if you want to do that, although you'd be much better off just switching to Freeview HD and watching it there as the picture quality will be vastly superior.

For me, live TV via streaming boxes is very useful for rooms where you don't have an aeriel or cable point.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
UKTV Play now available on ATV and it works with the TV App too.
a5be83f29ecf1ef92a835d46839d3c23.jpg

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
It's great to see this. For the first time since I bought my Apple TV it actually feels like a complete device.

It would be great if NowTV could get round to releasing their updated app. I don't use their service but the app looks awful.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
It's great to see this. For the first time since I bought my Apple TV it actually feels like a complete device.

It would be great if NowTV could get round to releasing their updated app. I don't use their service but the app looks awful.

It's nice to finally have the full set. I didn't think it would ever happen.

As for Now TV, I'm in the beta and have been for over 6 months now. I have no idea why they're taking so long to release it to the public.

Reactions: Vado

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
It's nice to finally have the full set. I didn't think it would ever happen.

As for Now TV, I'm in the beta and have been for over 6 months now. I have no idea why they're taking so long to release it to the public.

I’m with you there, I’m surprised as well to actually have the full set now also and again didn’t think it would happen.

It’s good that NowTV are sorting out their app. I remember reading last year that one was in the works, that’s a hell of a lot of beta testing though!

Does it have TV app integration as well?

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I’m with you there, I’m surprised as well to actually have the full set now also and again didn’t think it would happen.

It’s good that NowTV are sorting out their app. I remember reading last year that one was in the works, that’s a hell of a lot of beta testing though!

Does it have TV app integration as well?

Unfortunately I had to sign an NDA, so that I cannot tell you. Sorry.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Apple TV is really improving in the UK now. It's a consistent interface and very flexible. Really looking forward to the gaming stuff in the Autumn especially as we'll be able to connect controllers.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
UKTV Play now available on ATV and it works with the TV App too.
a5be83f29ecf1ef92a835d46839d3c23.jpg

How do you add it as a source to the TV app? I can’t get it to show up under connected apps!

Edit: Typically, it shows up a minute after I asked...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.