Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
And there lies the heart of the problem which no one in this thread is prepared to tackle and provide a direct answer for. People object to child abuse but they are not prepared to give up their privacy. So what's the answer? If the police cannot eavesdrop of conversations held between child abusers which would not only allow them to be captured but also means important evidence can be presented at trial, what is the alternative? Child abusers do use devices that use end to end encryption to they can avoid the police. How do you prevent that?

There appears to be no easy answer but the topic is not supposed to be an easy one either hence why there will be heated arguments on the subject.
There is the problem you describe.
Making E2E encryption illegal will not make people not use it. Child abusers will still purchase or download software that offer encrypted messaging, while the rest of us are left unprotected to be exploited for no gain.

Just like with my lock analogy.
If locks are made illegal, criminals will still use locks and risk a small punishment if found out.
And the rest of people will be left with doors unlocked for criminals to enter and steal everything

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Is banning e2e encryption really going to keep your niece & nephew safe? All the surveillance in the world cannot and will not replace involved parents & family, and will likely just create many more paths for your niece & nephew to be harmed now and in the future.

I have a niece & nephew I love dearly, too, but we rely on knowing where they are, what they're doing, who they're interacting with, and most of all, raising them as *thinking* humans who know what is and is not appropriate for anyone (family included) to ask of them and do to them rather than hoping the government will do the parenting/extended family job for us.

The research and empirical data of prevention of sexual abuse is clear: if you're relying on surveillance, you failed years before elsewhere.
You and many others are missing the point about children being safe. Peadophiles are able to act with near on annonymity and near impunity because when they want to talk with others who are like them, they use devices that have end to end encryption because they know a) there messages and conversations cannot be eavesdropped on and b) their messages and conversations are encrypted meaning evidence of their illegal activites cannot be accessed meaning without any other evidence, they get away with it. With this type of thing going on it means children are not safe because the activities of these type of people cannot be monitored properly. By removing end to end encryption on these devices it means these type of people are no longer able to be hidden, their activites could be picked up and detected by the police which means it becomes very very risky for them to carry out their activities. This means children can be a lot safer. This is what I am getting at when I say children will be safer.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Just “angry” every thread that dislikes. Closest thing.
But yeah, they can give up privacy all they want but don’t drag everyone else with it.
Your obviously pro-privacy because your tagging posts as angry that does not agree with your personal views/opinions on privacy matters.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Your obviously pro-privacy because your tagging posts as angry that does not agree with your personal views/opinions on privacy matters.
Yeah I’m pro privacy. I’m not hiding it. Thanks for telling us you are anti privacy.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Actually that is where you are wrong. Do not miskake my support on this specific matter as any indication I am anti privacy, far from it. I just believe that when it comes to protecting children, we have to accept some sacrifices in our lives.
What me and everyone advocate here is how much we are willing to pay to “protect children” before we are forced to pay with our lives? It’s not just “some” sacrifice, and privacy isn’t going to be the only cost. It’s a literal downward spiral that should not be too difficult to see from far away.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
You and many others are missing the point about children being safe. Peadophiles are able to act with near on annonymity and near impunity because when they want to talk with others who are like them, they use devices that have end to end encryption because they know a) there messages and conversations cannot be eavesdropped on and b) their messages and conversations are encrypted meaning evidence of their illegal activites cannot be accessed meaning without any other evidence, they get away with it. With this type of thing going on it means children are not safe because the activities of these type of people cannot be monitored properly. By removing end to end encryption on these devices it means these type of people are no longer able to be hidden, their activites could be picked up and detected by the police which means it becomes very very risky for them to carry out their activities. This means children can be a lot safer. This is what I am getting at when I say children will be safer.
Let’s say E2E encryption is banned and made illegal for the safety of our children. do you seriously think abusers will stop using such software to protect themselves just because it’s illegal?

It will be just as easy to do as downloading illegal movies or streaming illegal content.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
And there lies the heart of the problem which no one in this thread is prepared to tackle and provide a direct answer for. People object to child abuse but they are not prepared to give up their privacy. So what's the answer? If the police cannot eavesdrop of conversations held between child abusers which would not only allow them to be captured but also means important evidence can be presented at trial, what is the alternative? Child abusers do use devices that use end to end encryption to they can avoid the police. How do you prevent that?

There appears to be no easy answer but the topic is not supposed to be an easy one either hence why there will be heated arguments on the subject.
How about they put in a law where they can force you to unlock your device and apps if there is genuine suspicion that you are a child molester? They'd have to have suspicions before they can access your chats, but once they have some sort of evidence they could force you to show them everything on your phone and other devices.

This would also allow the police to find the recipients of those messages, thus helping to shut down larger criminal gangs.

No one's privacy is invaded, and the only people who are forced to provide access to their devices (whether they hold incriminating data or not) are already suspected as being criminals.

Reactions: obtutus

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
When you are personally affected by the harrowing prospect of a child of yours or a child relative of yours being sexually abused by their abusers and the police turn around and say 'sorry, there is nothing we can do to catch the abuser because we are unable to get into the end to end encryption the abuser was using, the right to privacy debate no longer has any relevance.

From the various UK investigations into child abuse it's a fact that abusers use devices that have end to end encryption to avoid detection and to avoid having their messages exposed because without enough evidence, the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) will not prosecute and the abusers know this. It is an extremely tough call to make, the right to privacy or the right to protect children.

I have young nieces and nephews. Would I give up my right to privacy knowing that in doing so it would help keep them safer and make it easier to find and arrest child abusers? Yes, of course I would.

Majority of the abusers are the parents with or without online privacy children will continue to be abused. The problem is with the parents and not online privacy.

Among most respected Government/Church officials are child/women sex traffickers they don't mind stripping you out of your online privacy in the name of "save the children". These pedophiles in order to look good/innocent they project what they are onto others like accusing privacy advocates of pedophelia.

Reactions: Breaking Good

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
In an era, where our liberty is fast being eroded by all sorts of government edicts, executive actions, mandates, censorship, etc., do we really believe that we need the government to be able to look at our private communication Have we learned nothing from the Edward Snowden treasure trove?

I sure hope that the public in the U.K. is informed enough to vigorously oppose the current effort.
Never underestimate how stupid a very large group oh humans can be, in the U.S. we had Trump and in the U.K. you all have Brexit. Hope won’t get us there.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Never underestimate how stupid a very large group oh humans can be, in the U.S. we had Trump ...
The US still has Trump, bless his cotton socks.

Getting back to the thread, I am surprised at the people posting here seem to favour blanket surveillance as a way of protecting children. Sadly, my extended family has been touched by the aftermath of multiple instances abuse on different family members. Online surveillance would not have prevented any of those attacks. The appropriate response to concern about child abuse is better targeted police work, using existing search capabilities like search warrants. And a good first step would be to get prosecutors actually prosecuting cases of reported abuse.

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
No they wouldn't because the more child abusers that get caught means more child stay safe, thus if removing end to end encryptions means affecting the privacy rights of others then so be it if it means more child abusers can get caught because they cannot hide behind end to end encryption. End result being more child being kept safe.
They won't be caught. It's already illegal to abuse children, and they're doing it anyway (forgive the harshness). If it becomes illegal to encrypt messages end to end, they'll also do it anyway. It's so easy to gain access to crypto tools that anyone can do it.

Last edited:

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Actually that is where you are wrong. Do not miskake my support on this specific matter as any indication I am anti privacy, far from it. I just believe that when it comes to protecting children, we have to accept some sacrifices in our lives.
Those two things are more similar than they sound. Protecting children is always the excuse for invading privacy, or taking away any right in general. Guns, speech, criminal rights, body autonomy, whether you agree with the right or not, the children are always the key to taking it away. I'm not accusing you of fakeness, but this is the reason you're setting off alarm bells in people's heads.

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
How about they put in a law where they can force you to unlock your device and apps if there is genuine suspicion that you are a child molester? They'd have to have suspicions before they can access your chats, but once they have some sort of evidence they could force you to show them everything on your phone and other devices.

This would also allow the police to find the recipients of those messages, thus helping to shut down larger criminal gangs.

No one's privacy is invaded, and the only people who are forced to provide access to their devices (whether they hold incriminating data or not) are already suspected as being criminals.
We already have this. Known as a court order. People can still refuse tho considering the risk to incriminate yourself or abuse from “ suspected crime”

Reactions: VulchR

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
No they wouldn't because the more child abusers that get caught means more child stay safe, thus if removing end to end encryptions means affecting the privacy rights of others then so be it if it means more child abusers can get caught because they cannot hide behind end to end encryption. End result being more child being kept safe.
Do you have any proof it will have any effect at all?
Why would they suddenly stop using encrypted messaging or apps?
It’s close to 100% guarantee it will have no effect on predators and only negatively affect innocent people who will be exploited by criminals

They won't be caught. It's already illegal to abuse children, and they're doing it anyway (forgive the harshness). If it becomes illegal to encrypt messages end to end, they'll also do it anyway. It's so easy to gain access to crypto tools that anyone can do it.
Exactly. Banning something doesn’t stop its use.
VPN and encryption is illegal in China.
People still use it because they are doing illegal ****.

All it will do is remove protection for normal people to be abused by criminals who will do man in the middle attacks, or foreign governments to more easily spy on citizens.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Do you have any proof it will have any effect at all?
Why would they suddenly stop using encrypted messaging or apps?
It’s close to 100% guarantee it will have no effect on predators and only negatively affect innocent people who will be exploited by criminals

Exactly. Banning something doesn’t stop its use.
VPN and encryption is illegal in China.
People still use it because they are doing illegal ****.

All it will do is remove protection for normal people to be abused by criminals who will do man in the middle attacks, or foreign governments to more easily spy on citizens.
pedophile gangs use end to end encryption (E2E) so they create and distribute child images and videos without the police being able to eavesdrop on them so they can catch them in the act or have their messages decryted when their phone(s) are handed over to the police. Grug gangs use E2E so they can buy, sell and distribute illegal drugs, again withouth the police being able to eavsdrop on them or to get their phone messages decrypted. Terrorists all do the same thing. So, are you telling me that because these gangs will just carry on doing what they are doing if E2E was stopped, that we should just ignore trying to stop E2E and their means of communication and just carry on the way things are now, just so you and others can keep your precious privacy???

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
pedophile gangs use end to end encryption (E2E) so they create and distribute child images and videos without the police being able to eavesdrop on them so they can catch them in the act or have their messages decryted when their phone(s) are handed over to the police. Grug gangs use E2E so they can buy, sell and distribute illegal drugs, again withouth the police being able to eavsdrop on them or to get their phone messages decrypted. Terrorists all do the same thing. So, are you telling me that because these gangs will just carry on doing what they are doing if E2E was stopped, that we should just ignore trying to stop E2E and their means of communication and just carry on the way things are now, just so you and others can keep your precious privacy???
Tel me, what can the cops do if E2E was made illegal? The cops will still not have the ability to read the information, they will have the exact same problem with breaking encryption as today.

It will not become harder to use E2E

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
It doesn't matter whether E2E encryption is illegal or not. The genie is out of the bottle. Outlawing it would simply mean that evil and criminal people (like paedophiles) will use their criminal endeavours to send secure messages illegally. It's really a very simple thing to do. You can, for example, secretly store an encrypted image inside another completely normal image.

And it's not just privacy that is put at risk by circumventing E2E. There is the rather important matter of security. Broken E2E would be a hacker's paradise leading to a broken banking system, fraud, identity theft, blackmail and worse.

The day you remove all the curtains from your house, and put your banking details and medical history on this forum for all to see, is the day when I'll be convinced by your arguments.

Why we need End to End encryption

Last edited:

rme

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I think people who support mass monitoring are a much bigger danger than pedophiles.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I think people who support mass monitoring are much bigger danger than pedophiles.
For the most part, the problem is due to us, the public because we can be so unforgiving when things go wrong. Look at incidents that have shapped or affected our lives. The terrorist attacks/bombings, school shootings, other mass shootings, pedophiles gangs and drug gangs, and when people become victims of one or any of them there is an immediate outcry from us the public condeming our countries government for not doing enough to prevent those things from happening. We persistanly demand that our governments do more to protect us but then when the government comes back and says the only way we can protect you is to carry out more monitoring suddenly us the public go 'not a chance. I will not have my privacy affected at the expense of protecting us from those who wish to do us harm'.

How can governments do it's job in protecting the public, the public who moan and complain the government is not doing enough to stop all of the above from happening when us the public are basically tieing the hands of the government by saying 'protect us but do not invade our privacy to do so'.

If all of the above are using E2E to avoid detection, how can they be stopped?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If all of the above are using E2E to avoid detection, how can they be stopped?
Alright then. Since you are so fixated that E2E encryption is bad, let’s hope E2E encryption is outlawed, and see how safer our society could become.

Nothing will go wrong, yeah.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Alright then. Since you are so fixated that E2E encryption is bad, let’s hope E2E encryption is outlawed, and see how safer our society could become.

Nothing will go wrong, yeah.
Maybe i should fight back and say your fixation on privacy is bad because it puts the safety of others into jeopardy. As for your remark, your putting words into my mouth because i have never said E2E is bad. Maybe you should contact the UK government and tell them the exact same thing you just told me. I am just arguing the merits of what the UK government is trying to do to protect the UK public. Is what the UK government trying to do open to abuse? hell yes because it has already be proven with the use of anti-terrorism laws being abused by the UK police. Is what the UK government trying to do going to erode more of the publics privacy? hell yes but what alternative is there?

I have already explained in other posts of mine that contary to the beliefs of some members in here, I am not anti-privacy. I hold the rights of privacy very dearly and it concerns me that more of our privacy could be eroded if the UK governments get's their way BUT as I have explained, due to the specific nature of why the UK government want to what it wants to, although very hesitant, I am for it.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Interesting view from the UK's Information Commissioner:

End-to-end encryption protects children, says UK information watchdog​

Information commissioner defends value of privacy protection in face of government-backed campaign

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.