Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Just been into the Milton Keynes Apple Store and they don't have one single accessory for the iPad pro! Not even a silicon cover.

What the hell is going on with Apple nowadays, it's supposed to be the device that's hard to find not a slab of silicon.

Went to both the Solihull Touchwood and Birmingham Bullring Apple Stores earlier today. The first person I spoke to in the Bullring store thought they had Apple Smart Keyboards in stock, but it turned out they didn't. Neither store had pencils in stock, and the Bullring had a member staff holding their demo pencil when not used by customers! I tried out both the smart keyboard and the pencil. Both exceeded my expectations - keyboard felt like a 'proper' e.g. MacBook keyboard and the pencil is very responsive and precise.

Both stores had Silicone Cases and Smart Covers in both black and white in stock - I bought a Case and a Cover in Black. They were both flipping expensive, especially the case, but they both have a very high quality feel, and whereas I was previously babying my naked iPad Pro, it now feels well protected.

Last edited:

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Picked up my gold 128 wifi from John Lewis today. I have three years cover on it from them included. It's fantastic and reading News works really well just like a magazine, as also typing on the onscreen full sized keyboard. Speakers are great too.

ScottM1988

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
If anyone wants a reservation number for an iPad pro 128gb space grey at Argos Rotherham please let me know

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I had difficulty getting a cellular model in London today. I was at Covent Garden by 10:30 and their day's stock had gone. There was nothing in Regent Street either. I found a Silver cellular in John Lewis round the corner. They had less than 10 stock of the silver and gold and no grey.

TuffGnarl

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Edinburgh
I couldn't be bothered waiting for my order from Apple, so I looked around. Ordered a 128GB in Space Grey (the same as my original order) from John Lewis earlier. DPD have it and it'll be here tomorrow.

Apple really need to sort out their stock issues. I've always figured it was about creating hype, but the launch of the Pro just looks bad.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I couldn't be bothered waiting for my order from Apple, so I looked around. Ordered a 128GB in Space Grey (the same as my original order) from John Lewis earlier. DPD have it and it'll be here tomorrow.

Apple really need to sort out their stock issues. I've always figured it was about creating hype, but the launch of the Pro just looks bad.
Take a look at this amazing article, which, while focussed on the Apple Watch, says a lot about Apple's manufacturing in general.

"Apple really need to sort out their stock issues" is such a common thought around here, but what they are already doing is frankly unbelievable, and the only way to ensure plentiful stock is to delay launches, which doesn't make sense, especially at this time of the year.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
I don't see any stock issues with this product and any other Apple product. Seems same to me, except that the other products like iPhones were harder to get hold of.

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
Anyone know where else is worth monitoring for Pencil/keyboard stock? Hopefully some other retailers will get soon!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Pencil is here!

IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2548.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG

EDIT: This is the first time I've used any kind of stylus with an iPad and it seems like it could be useful, especially for diagrams. Far quicker and better practice-wise than computer-generated graphs.

Space - 2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: smr and Hellenek

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
I ordered mine online from Apple with standard delivery on 11/11 Wednesday night last week, bit slow off the mark & hadn't kept up with the launch date speculation:

128GB Space Grey, cellular
Logitech keyboard
Pencil

Keyboard arrived on it's own on Friday with the iPad itself originally saying 20-23 November. Just had an Apple email to say it's updated now & UPS tracking shows it's just left Shenzhen, China (Monday PM here, Monday night there) & should be delivered in Yorkshire on Thursday 19/11 AM. My iPhone 6 delivery came ahead of the original estimated date, Apple estimates err on slightly conservative in my experience.

Pencil still showing as:

Processing Items - Dispatched: 3-4 weeks
Delivery: 3 Dec - 10 Dec by Standard Shipping

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Pencil is here!

View attachment 600302
View attachment 600299
View attachment 600303
View attachment 600300
View attachment 600301

EDIT: This is the first time I've used any kind of stylus with an iPad and it seems like it could be useful, especially for diagrams. Far quicker and better practice-wise than computer-generated graphs.

View attachment 600307

Please give a review and what you think of the Apple Pencil, I'm still waiting for mine to move from "processing" my estimated dates say 19th-26th for delivery.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Please give a review and what you think of the Apple Pencil, I'm still waiting for mine to move from "processing" my estimated dates say 19th-26th for delivery.
I'll report back later with a quick review and some pictures!

Anything in particular you want to see?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'll report back later with a quick review and some pictures!

Anything in particular you want to see?

I'd like to know how well it is at hand writing and if there is much lag, because I intend to use the Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro 90% of the time (the other 10% Without being for things like Netflix, games and general consumption) it would be much appreciated, thank you!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Just wondering when you ordered your Pencil? Do you have the time on the email by any chance? I ordered mine at 08:43am on the 11th and it's still 'processing' but I'm hoping to get it later this week.
I ordered it before the store technically went live!

I guessed the link and the education store went live ten minutes before the main store.

Email was 8:07.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I got my Pencil and Smart Keyboard today. Really impressed with both so far. The keyboard adds quite a bit of weight to the iPad, though not surprising I suppose.

I ordered through the app at around 8:10am on the Wednesday.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I'd like to know how well it is at hand writing and if there is much lag, because I intend to use the Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro 90% of the time (the other 10% Without being for things like Netflix, games and general consumption) it would be much appreciated, thank you!

I tried to upload a video but MacRumours only allows pictures unfortunately.

The lag is minimal. It is imperceptible in the Notes app, and almost as good in other apps.

I'm not sure what causes the difference. Maybe the other apps will be optimised over time.

For some reason the 'Draw' tab in Microsoft Word - the feature shown off at the event - is nowhere to be seen. Does anyone have more info on this?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Some impressions of the physical qualities of the pencil which most reviewers have missed (and that I think are really nice).
  • In photos it seems excessively long. In person it's proportioned just right.
image.jpeg
  • The tip can be replaced and there is a spare in the box. I expect these will wear over time. Apple mentions in a support document that you will be able to buy tips separately "in the future" (and, I suspect, caps too: I can see that going missing quite easily). This is what it looks like without the tip on.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
  • The male Lightning connector at the top is beautifully machined from a single component and has regulatory markings etched on one side, and the serial number on the other. The presence of a serial (which does work on the Apple support site and on things like Chipmunk.nl - this Pencil was made in week 45 if anyone cares) shows how seriously Apple is taking the Pencil. Apple Watch straps are more expensive and do not have serial numbers.
image.jpeg
  • The adapter which allows charging of the Pencil via a Lightning cable is recessed on one end so it sits flush with the Pencil.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I think a lot of thought went in to the design of the Pencil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellenek and smr

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I tried to upload a video but MacRumours only allows pictures unfortunately.

The lag is minimal. It is imperceptible in the Notes app, and almost as good in other apps.

I'm not sure what causes the difference. Maybe the other apps will be optimised over time.

For some reason the 'Draw' tab in Microsoft Word - the feature shown off at the event - is nowhere to be seen. Does anyone have more info on this?

Brilliant thank you for that,

Some impressions of the physical qualities of the pencil which most reviewers have missed (and that I think are really nice).
  • In photos it seems excessively long. In person it's proportioned just right.
View attachment 600320
  • The tip can be replaced and there is a spare in the box. I expect these will wear over time. Apple mentions in a support document that you will be able to buy tips separately "in the future" (and, I suspect, caps too: I can see that going missing quite easily). This is what it looks like without the tip on.
View attachment 600321
View attachment 600322
  • The male lightning connector at the top is beautifully machined from a single component and has regulatory markings etched on one side, and the serial number on the other. The presence of a serial (which does work on the Apple support site and on things like Chipmunk.nl - this Pencil was made in week 45 if anyone cares) shows how seriously Apple is taking the pencil. Apple Watch straps are more expensive and do not have serial numbers.
View attachment 600324
  • The adapter which allows charging of the Pencil via a Lightning cable is recessed on one end so it sits flush with the pencil.
View attachment 600325
View attachment 600326

I think a lot of thought went in to the design of the Pencil.

This is very interesting and helpful, I didn't know that you could buy the extra tips for the Pencil. Also love pictures.

A lot of thought did go into the Pencil, Jonny I've spoke about it recently in this article. http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/14/recommended-reading-11-14-15/

Reactions: Brookzy

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK

I guess the MS Office demo at the keynote used a beta version. My current version is also missing the Draw tab (here is a cropped screen cap from the keynote):

MS-Word-Draw.jpg

Update: It looks like Microsoft OneNote has the Draw tab and Apple Pencil support. From iTunes:
What's New in Version 2.18
iPad Pro and Apple Pencil Support

Last edited:
Reactions: Brookzy

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
How long does the pencil take to fully charge, and is there anywhere to see the charge level (does it show up in today view like Apple Watch does)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.