Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The UK's competition watchdog seeks to "remedy" Apple's restrictions on browser engines in iOS and cloud gaming through the App Store via a high-level regulatory process, the organization announced today.

app-store-blue-banner-uk-fixed.jpg

The announcement comes upon the publication of the Competitions and Markets Authority (CMA) year-long study into Apple and Google's mobile ecosystems, which finds that Apple and Google have an "effective duopoly" on mobile ecosystems that allows them to "exercise a stranglehold over these markets," including on operating systems, app stores, and web browsers. "Without interventions," the press release claims, "both companies are likely to maintain, and even strengthen, their grip over the sector, further restricting competition and limiting incentives for innovators."

The report identifies "a range of potential interventions" that could be taken to address the raised issues, but the CMA has specifically looked at ways to take "immediately targeted actions" using its current powers, including launching a wide-reaching "market investigation reference" into mobile browser engines and cloud gaming.

The study sets out concerns that Apple's ban on alternative browser engines on iOS and iPadOS "severely limits the potential for rival browsers to differentiate themselves from Safari (for example, on features such as speed and functionality) and limits Apple's incentives to invest in its browser engine." It also highlights that Apple's browser engine restriction "seriously inhibits the capability of web apps," which is said to be "depriving consumers and businesses of the full benefits of this innovative technology," and the "key advantage" that Apple and Google gain from selling devices with their own browser app pre-installed.
Overall, the evidence we have seen does not suggest that the WebKit restriction is justified by security concerns. We note that Apple benefits financially from weakening competition in browsers via the browser engine ban.

Meanwhile, in recent submissions to the United States National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla have all explicitly condemned Apple's WebKit restriction.

The CMA's report also criticizes Apple's restrictions on cloud gaming services on the App Store. "Gaming apps are a key source of revenue for Apple and cloud gaming could pose a real threat to Apple's strong position in-app distribution. By preventing this sector from growing, Apple risks causing mobile users to miss out on the full benefits of cloud gaming," the study claims.

The CMA's proposal for a market investigation reference looks to determine what specific remedial actions can be taken to improve competition with regard to browser engines and cloud gaming on Apple platforms, potentially including orders that require Apple to make material changes to its practices. The study into mobile ecosystems is intended to serve as a basis for negotiating undertakings and imposing orders.

Market investigations are a high-level process through which the CMA can request extensive information from companies to draw conclusions and implement legally binding remedies. Market investigation references are seldom used since they are resource-intensive and impose a significant burden on companies, especially amid the threat of structural disinvestments and stringent behavioral solutions.

Separately, the CMA continues to examine Apple's App Store terms and conditions in a competition law investigation that started in March 2021, and the UK government is empowering its Digital Markets Unit with statutory powers to penalize companies that do not meet its rules with considerable fines.

Apple's ecosystem is increasingly coming under intense scrutiny by governments around the world, including in the United States, Japan, South Korea, the European Union, and more, with a clear appetite from global regulators to explore requirements around issues like app store policies, app sideloading, and interoperability amid concerns about competition.

Article Link: UK Looks to Trigger Regulation Process to Target Apple's Cloud Gaming and Browser Engine Restrictions

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
Here in the EU we have the worst possibile web experience due to these endless, stupid nag screens. It’s a nightmare.

Now, let’s ruin all the rest, block by block.
If you mean cookie preferences, this was not the intention of the EU and websites have deliberately implemented to be compliant but still get their way (ie. "encourage" to accept all cookies). The EU didn't anticipate this but is working on an update to resolve this to make it better for the consumer.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
If you mean cookie preferences, this was not the intention of the EU and websites have deliberately implemented to be compliant but still get their way (ie. "encourage" to accept all cookies). The EU didn't anticipate this but is working on an update to resolve this to make it better for the consumer.
They should start anticipating things, or they'd prove more and more that they're not qualified to make these decisions for tech users.

If they can't anticipate things and keep slapping more and more regulations on to everything it's going to ruin things for everyone, and not just in EU.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
iPhone 15(USB-C) and iOS17/18(side-loading) will be the best iPhone and iOS ever made.

I am not so sure. USB-C may show up on the 15 or 16; unless Apple goes wireless.

As for sidelading, if that happens we're likely to see multiple nag screens as Apple provides notifications and privacy protections. I really don't see side loading as much of a boon overall for small developers as the biggets distribution point is Apple's App Store. It may even hurt developers as it could support wider app piracy.

Reactions: FCX and DCW

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Oh, how I miss those days when websites “work best in mozilla” or are “optimised for internet explorer”, and had tabled and layouts that did funky things if loaded by an actual standards-compliant browser instead of the one the site was targeting with bug workarounds.
Of course; there’s some modern examples of such fragmentation with places giving notifications that internet explorer or old versions of safari are no longer supported, so why not make things worse?

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Apple's ecosystem is increasingly coming under intense scrutiny by governments around the world, including in the United States, Japan, South Korea, the European Union, and more

Should also include Australia [1].

It is interesting if you look at Apple's official revenue breakdown by Region,

Americas ( ~90% from US, the rest are Canada )
Europe
China
Japan
Rest of Asia Pacific ( Mostly Australia, and then New Zealand. )

Nearly Every single one on the list has an on going Anti-Trust or in-coming Government regulation apart from ONE region.

[1] https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/11/apple-defends-ecosystem-in-australia/

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I don’t get this at all.

if I build a department store. Why can’t I run that store how I like? Should I be compelled to let someone else come in and make money in my store? Vendors / Customers who aren’t happy with the way I run my store can sell / shop across the street?

Nobody is compelled to buy an iPhone so why is it considered a monopoly? People who aren’t happy can buy a different device. If nobody likes existing options then the market can be disrupted by a new entrant.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
The problem with trying to impose regulatory solutions to market problems is that there is often an undesired unintended consequence. I understand the desire to have regulation improve things and support the intention. The truth is that those that desire the regulation eventually discover the negative impact of that solution. In the US, the financial crisis in the 2000's and the current GSL crisis were, arguably, both a consequence of unanticipated impacts from regulation.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I am not so sure. USB-C may show up on the 15 or 16; unless Apple goes wireless.

As for sidelading, if that happens we're likely to see multiple nag screens as Apple provides notifications and privacy protections. I really don't see side loading as much of a boon overall for small developers as the biggets distribution point is Apple's App Store. It may even hurt developers as it could support wider app piracy.
Yes we might first see uncompetitive nag screens, and Apple will see 8-10% of their worldwide turnover going down the road. Regarding wireless, thats not a solution, wireless is still wired, that 1-2mm gap won’t allow them to escape the law.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I don’t get this at all.

if I build a department store. Why can’t I run that store how I like? Should I be compelled to let someone else come in and make money in my store? Vendors / Customers who aren’t happy with the way I run my store can sell / shop across the street?

Nobody is compelled to buy an iPhone so why is it considered a monopoly? People who aren’t happy can buy a different device. If nobody likes existing options then the market can be disrupted by a new entrant.
Imagine there being only 2 department stores in New York City. You can go to 1 department store or the other. However, only one department store sells shirts, and only shirts made by themselves. The other department store doesn’t have shirts, but sells their own pants brand. Each department store also requires membership and it a significant cost to join the other department store.

The problem with phones aren’t the devices themselves, but the operating systems. There are only 2 real competitors in the phone OS market and they can wield a significant amount of power over consumers and creators. For example, Apple only allows the WebKit browser engine. Why? This limits innovation and user choice If you go with Apple.

EDIT: I’m not saying I agree or disagree with government intervention. I understand it, but I don’t understand it well enough to offer a confident opinion on the matter.

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Apple's policy of blocking cloud gaming is stupid, monopolistic, and just asking to be regulated away. And the attention it brings means regulation on browser engines is also likely. Which is a shame. Because, while restricting browser engines is still monopolistic within the iOS ecosystem, it's basically the only reason there's still a viable competitor to Chromium in the browser market as a whole. As soon as we see Chromium on iOS, developers will stop testing on Safari, and we'll see '90s style 'works best in Chrome' badges on web sites. Or it won't even be acknowledged. Things will just gradually stop working in Safari, and when you contact support you'll just get a reply from a bot telling you to 'use Chrome'.

And with that, the open, standards based internet will be dead.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Imagine there being only 2 department stores in New York City. You can go to 1 department store or the other. However, only one department store sells shirts, and only shirts made by themselves. The other department store doesn’t have shirts, but sells their own pants brand. Each department store also requires membership and it a significant cost to join the other department store.

The problem with phones aren’t the devices themselves, but the operating systems. There are only 2 real competitors in the phone OS market and they can wield a significant amount of power over consumers and creators. For example, Apple only allows the WebKit browser engine. Why? This limits innovation and user choice If you go with Apple.

Perhaps I am pushing the analogy, but wouldn’t this set the stage for a third department store (operating system) to set up?

I guess thst it’s not consumers who are unhappy about this. It’s the vendors. Everyone wants to come and make more money of Apples invention.

Supporting different engines would cost Apple more to keep the phone secure. Guess who pays for that? It won’t be Apple, it will be all of us through more expensive iPhones.

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
I don’t get this at all.

did you just read an ayd rand book or something?

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
The stuff regarding mobile cloud gaming is ridiculous. Mobile cloud gaming is primarily targeted at consumers that already play AAA games on PC and console systems. For example, Microsoft doesn't really want people to subscribe to their cloud gaming service with an iPhone and never buy a Windows PC or Xbox console. They want them to primarily do their gaming on Windows/Xbox and use the mobile cloud service as a supplement. So the idea that Apple could be "blocking" that gaming content by not allowing cloud gaming apps in the App Store really doesn't make any sense at all.

Also, AAA games are not designed for iPhone sized screens. Yes, you can technically play the game on an iPhone but it's a compromised experience relative to playing it on larger PC or TV screens. Again, that underlines the fact that iPhone access is supplemental to those kinds of games, not a crucial part of the AAA gaming market.

Reactions: FCX and strongy

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
What exactly has the EU anticipated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.