Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorinc03

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
I sent my iPhone 11 Pro to MusicMagpie; device was just over one year old, great condition, all hardware functional.

MusicMagpie is claiming FaceID and flash aren’t working properly, which is definitely not true. They were working fine until I put the phone in its box to ship to them.

Anything I can do other than ask for them to send it back to me? Has anyone come across this issue with them in the past?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
All you can do is ask them to send it back. I can't think of anything else. The problem is that once you ship the phone, they can tell you what they want. One guy reported today that he sent his mint iphone (published photos to prove it) to Rebuy and they knocked £32 off the offer claiming that it was covered in scratches.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I sent my iPhone 11 Pro to MusicMagpie; device was just over one year old, great condition, all hardware functional.

MusicMagpie is claiming FaceID and flash aren’t working properly, which is definitely not true. They were working fine until I put the phone in its box to ship to them.

Anything I can do other than ask for them to send it back to me? Has anyone come across this issue with them in the past?
Hopefully you took a screen shot of the serial number on the phone before you sent it to them. Sometimes these outfits will try and send you back a defective phone with a different serial number if you don't accept their offer.

sorinc03

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Hopefully you took a screen shot of the serial number on the phone before you sent it to them. Sometimes these outfits will try and send you back a defective phone with a different serial number if you don't accept their offer.
I still have the invoice from last year stating IMEI and Serial number.

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
I once sent a Apple Watch to Music Magpie, pristine condition. They halved their offer saying it was heavily scratched. I told them to return it and luckily it came back in the same condition that I sent it. I suspect that they got mixed up with another watch. Or they could have been trying to pull a fast one.

bigup

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
United Kingdom
I sent a ipad pro to MM, was mint. They said it has pressure marks on the screen, offered me £80 for it lol. I said no and they sent it back

I then sent it out the same day i received it back to goodbuytech and they gave me full price straight away

Reactions: AaronM5670

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
I sent a ipad pro to MM, was mint. They said it has pressure marks on the screen, offered me £80 for it lol. I said no and they sent it back

I then sent it out the same day i received it back to goodbuytech and they gave me full price straight away

Only £10 in it with my iPhone X between them and MM, would you recommend GoodBuyTech?

theaudiobully87

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
Try Mazuma Mobile. Had a great experience with them recently. Sent an iPhone X with cracked back glass. Offered me 160 online and the day they received it, boom - 160 into my bank account. Very good service.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Try Mazuma Mobile. Had a great experience with them recently. Sent an iPhone X with cracked back glass. Offered me 160 online and the day they received it, boom - 160 into my bank account. Very good service.
My X is in pretty excellent condition other than a scratch on the back camera, had a case and screen protector on it since the day I got it. Mazuma are offering me £50 less than MM which is quite a significant bit of cash, used Envirofone in the past for my 6S Plus and had a good experience, I’d like to get over £300 back considering the phone cost me a grand. Tired of eBay fees and don’t really want to get scammed on Gumtree/FB marketplace..

theaudiobully87

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
My X is in pretty excellent condition other than a scratch on the back camera, had a case and screen protector on it since the day I got it. Mazuma are offering me £50 less than MM which is quite a significant bit of cash, used Envirofone in the past for my 6S Plus and had a good experience, I’d like to get over £300 back considering the phone cost me a grand. Tired of eBay fees and don’t really want to get scammed on Gumtree/FB marketplace..
I’d be surprised if you get over 300 anywhere. But good luck. Keep us posted.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
This the the problem with these trading sites. They publish tempting purchase prices and then once they have your item, they claim it has faults or scratches so they can offer you less money. A lot of people will then begrudgingly accept the revised offer to save on the hassle of having the item returns and having to look elsewhere to sell it. I am expecting a price from Rebuy as they will receive my phone today. Its absolute mint condition so it will be interesting to see if they offer me less than the full purchase price.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Ah yes, this is a "common" scam. I'm guessing there's an employee eyeing on your pristine iPhone, but since the device still needs to be entered (and then re-sell) in the system, they put misleading claims to reduce the price.

That's why in Indonesia, for trade-ins through e-commerce, the company's courier will come in person to pick up the phone and verify its condition on the spot in front of you. This is to ensure customers that they won't be scammed.

Last edited:

8012R3

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I’d be surprised if you get over 300 anywhere. But good luck. Keep us posted.
I got £325 from Music Magpie 3 or 4 weeks ago for my 64GB X.

300 for the phone and a 10% extra credit (capped at £25).

Was in good condition but did have some wear on the screen coating near where you would make all the navigation gestures.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I used music magpie recently. I had a couple of scratches on the screen, very light ones, some marks on the rear glass and when cleaning to package it and send off I noticed a very small crack at the bottom of the rear glass near the lightning port.
Oddly they still paid full price at over £300, so it must really depend on who is checking the device.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Rebuy have now received my phone and are handing to over their quality con, err control department for inspection. If they sign it off as being A1 condition i shall have to eat humble pie.

• Haha

Stan.06

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
Why people don't sell their old stuff like phones to other people directly? I think the British version of the site is gumtree or something like it. It usually sells at a better price.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Why people don't sell their old stuff like phones to other people directly? It usually sells at a better price.
High risk of being scammed on sites like Gumtree/FB Marketplace and eBay fees are ridiculous. Selling directly I’d barely get more than £300 for my 64GB X anyway, and I can (hopefully) get £306 from MM.

Reactions: Thoradin

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
I sent my USA purchased iPhone XS 64gb to one of these UK companies that buy your old phones. They changed the storage to 256gb and paid me £60 more than they offered for the 64gb. Weird.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Why people don't sell their old stuff like phones to other people directly? I think the British version of the site is gumtree or something like it. It usually sells at a better price.
Gumtree is full of foreign scammers and eBay is full of time wasters and con artist’s, I‘m also not on Facebook, thank god.
Selling to friends is fine but they have to want the item, resale sites are just so much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.