Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
There is a crackdown on this in the UK - the nanny state!

There is also rumors floating about that because iCloud Private Relay allows people to bypass the court orders requiring major ISPs to block certain sites, that there is a case being penned to get Apple to comply with the said court orders.

All of these sites are available when you use the iCloud Private Relay, which has "annoyed" those who enforced the block in the first place.

Reactions: Fred Zed

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
I've been an avid user of pricey VPN AND PrivateRelay for years. Once in a blue moon a link will (not) come up w/notice "server can't be found" (or something like that). That's the only time I have seen an issue with PR here in US.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
WTF? “For example, "Apple users have suffered a worse browsing experience when using Private Relay." This is alleged to have the potential to push users to "migrate" away from "the Safari browser to apps downloaded from the App Store where Apple can earn a commission."” I am calling this ********. Pure ********.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Same experience here with Sky. I would try it with Three on 4G/5G, but my reception at home is so poor that it's basically incompatible with network compatibility.
I have Three mobile, which is blindingly fast in my area. It shows no issues. When Sky starts misbehaving I switch to mobile data, or turn on my VPN.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I have PR on 24/7 on my iPhone (since early iOS 15 beta) with no issues. Well there were some issues early on but since iOS 15 launched it has been fine. It works perfectly now. I'm in the UK on Giffgaff (O2) for my mobile data and Virgin Media for home internet.

No doubt the government will step in to ruin it.

• Sad
Reactions: ric22 and LV426

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Haha I’m not bothered about any ‘adult’ websites, more I don’t want the government snooping on me, they have enough information as it is and still manage to lose it. I’m with a small ISP which is more business orientated so no child safety settings to worry about.
My main concern is this government seem to favour a lot of control over you, and that breaches right to freedoms to me, you can’t even express your opinion incase someone thinks it’s a hate crime and you get arrested, the Police have to act on hate crime reports like a Twitter or forum post. It’s ludicrous. In Scotland they have even made it law that if you say something in your own home, and it’s deemed a hate crime and you are reported for it the Police can arrest you for it and charge you. Not even what you say in your own home is safe.
“The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it; moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment.”

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I had to eventually turn off private relay completely whilst residing in the UK. Many if not all “free” Wi-Fi hotspots wouldn’t work well or at all with it enabled.
It’s already a chore joining free Wi-Fi hotspots in the UK. The process back in the USA was much more simpler and fluid.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I had to eventually turn off private relay completely whilst residing in the UK. Many if not all “free” Wi-Fi hotspots wouldn’t work well or at all with it enabled.
It’s already a chore joining free Wi-Fi hotspots in the UK. The process back in the USA was much more simpler and fluid.
Wi-Fi hotspots are awful. SIM cards all the way...

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
It’s like a mission just to log into McDonald’s , Costa etc hotspots. Then when you return to the same place it sometimes doesn’t work again and often than not that landing screen to reauth doesn’t appear either.
Currently in the USA. , joining a public Wifi hotspot is a two step process and WORKS.!

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Just me, but my go-to when I encounter things like this scenario is to just don't bother doing what I was about to do. Unless it's something vital like banking.
It wasn't stopping me doing a specific something in a particular location- that was a warning from my home wifi regarding connecting to the internet.

Reactions: smoking monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.