Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I do wonder where Apple would if it wasn’t for this ‘tiny islands’ arm ISA.

Hard say, just as it's hard to say where the "tiny islands" would be if not for Berkeley's RISC design or VLSI Technology.

Most of today's tech is the result of various country's contributions, which includes browsers.

What would the UK regulators suggest as a viable alternative to the current situation?

Reactions: gusmula

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
Wonder why the CMA did take their own sweet time?
Anyway, the downside of this is that Chrome dominance over Android is nailed down, as there will be nobody else questioning how Google forces OEMs to pre install Chrome on Android handsets if they were to be certified by Google for GMS. This is clearly anti competitive style aka Microsoft of the old, considering the dominance of Android in mobile market share.

The upside, Safari can remain to be the “little guy” holding off the complete domination of Chrome. If only Apple continued developing Safari for Windows. Not sure why they stopped.
The CMA dropped the ball. That's what happens in the case of high priced lawyers vs low pay government employees.

Reactions: Asbow

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
One browser to rule them all...

And this is what Microsoft was sued for in the 90's...

The crap big tech gets away with these days is beyond laughable.
And where we are know with nearly every browser being chromium based?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
What restrictions? How would you know if you _never_ use the browser? Sounds like you've developed a negative-view lens on Safari and can't see it for what it really is, or how it has evolved.

Safari is my preferred browser.
Only thing I found is since Google wants to treat other browsers worse, you cannot scroll down on full screen YouTube with Safari. You can on any Chromium browser I have tried.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Too funny. The decision rests not on the case's merits but on technicalities like timing. Hopefully another country with a more competent government can take this up and win major concessions from Apple.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apple is the authority in waiting too long. They must be happy to finally weaponize their expertise.
Whichever side of the law you're on, it's when you're in trouble that you realize how good lawyers are worth their weight in gold.

Maybe it’s me but the first 3 post in this thread and many others thereafter seems to have lost reading comprehension of the article - unless the actual source has more information in behind on. Let me elaborate.

The first 2 paragraphs of this articles states ….

The CMA in November launched an investigation into the cloud gaming and mobile browser restrictions put in place by both Apple and Google, suggesting that the two companies were holding back innovation and increasing costs for web developers, cloud gaming service providers, and browser vendors.

"Many UK businesses and web developers tell us they feel that they are being held back by restrictions set by Apple and Google," said Sarah Cardell, interim chief executive of the CMA, at the time.

So I’m wondering why the CMA states increasing costs to include web developers yet cannot even state that when asked for a statement!!??

Since WHEN does web developers costs increase to developer for 1 specific browser in todays or the last 2 decades modern era when WebKit’s detection can be easily simulated within a simulation!? Can someone enlighten me please? Also cannot just a simple very no cost solution be done via VM instances on an existing computing and mobile platform!!??!??

I seriously doubt web developers cosst have in teased to support Apple’s Safari for desktop and mobile on Apple’s ecosystem on the ecosystem if simply a VM and browser detection has been enabled since html 3.

Ps: not an attack to those above - just my observation of a perception possibly missed. More than likely my observation is dead wrong of course.

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019

nope they where sued for wanting their browser to be installed everywhere. on iOS its different cause cause its a phone. but on a Mac u can install was ever browser u want using whatever engine they use. its only on iOS restricted to use apples engine.

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
nope they where sued for wanting their browser to be installed everywhere. on iOS its different cause cause its a phone. but on a Mac u can install was ever browser u want using whatever engine they use. its only on iOS restricted to use apples engine.
iOS isn’t different. iOS is a mature unix based operating system with a mature ecosystem. Apple are behaving like it’s an embedded system.

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
iOS isn’t different. iOS is a mature unix based operating system with a mature ecosystem. Apple are behaving like it’s an embedded system.
well basically iOS is kind of a embedded OS cause it runs on a phone. its a device u carry around and it has it specific purposes

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
well basically iOS is kind of a embedded OS cause it runs on a phone. its a device u carry around and it has it specific purposes
Then by definition macOS will be an embedded OS when Intel support is dropped.

Back to topic. CMA dropped the ball. Doesn’t detract that Apple are behaving in a monopolistic way with regards to iOS.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Apple does not allow proper content filtering plugins/extensions in Safari or Webkit based browsers. Thats why I refuse to use them.
There are plenty of extensions for Safari.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 9.16.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 9.16.27 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: Tagbert

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So whats the difference with the way browsers come preinstalled now?

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Like.. Making rules for their own platforms that no developers are forced to use? The horror.
I guess you missed the part about the duopoly. The choice between ”do business our way” and ”don’t do business” is not an actual choice. Want to do business? You are forced to follow those rules. It’s not healthy for any kind of market.

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
If the UK wants to impose rules then why don't they develop their own mobile phone OS and try completing instead of complaining.

Apple shouldn't have to listen to a tiny islands demands.
Yes, Apple should only listen to China!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

MSFT had > 96% market share at the time not 10 or 20% of market share. 🤔

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

Plus, IIRC, they forced PC makers to make it the default browser, which is different from building your own device and installing your own software as the default.

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
That sounds like an oxymoron. :)
There is no reason jailbreaking have to be unsecured. Jail breaking should be just a switch in the os. And if you are careful like you are with your pc everything should be fine.
apple is an ass for not allowing people to access the internet on differen browsers.

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
Apple restricts their ability to use invasive cookies and other methods to build a data profile of people. :)
Wait , do you really think they need you to instal a browser to get this info?
all They need is your online footprint, and analytics on what content you like and dislike.
they Don’t need to get into your device to get your personality, buying habit, sexual preferences, political allegiance, and even psychological profile. HOH yeah your medical profile is being leaked too.
thank god for Apple safari …

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
And webkit has 100% marketshare on iPhone & iPad. Your point?

Render the web our way, no choice. People say webkit is open source. So what? You can't make any modifications to it and run it on iPhone or iPad.

The "browsers" that are available are like skins, the features are just cosmetic. Like if all the cars that could drive on american highways were all forced to use one engine, from one manufacturer.

Why is Apple so afraid of giving people choice? Privacy? LOL, that ship sailed long time ago, we now know who they are in that regard.

Reactions: Asbow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.