Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Apple has differentiated product lines across many countries to comply with local laws and regulations. They even include a charger in the box in some. That didn’t force their hand to implement the same policies everywhere, however.
There's a lot of mobility for people living in Europe. So no third-party store while they're walking around the UK but it suddenly appears when they cross the English channel?

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
Efficiency. Cost-savings. Recognizing the mobility of iPhone owners between the UK and EU countries.
They would only get cost savings if they moved the whole world to the EU regime. I can't see that happening. Otherwise it's just another country in a list of side loading allowed countries.

Reactions: planteater

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
Oh dude, trust me, I know. I get HEATED on these posts. My point is that — me personally — I’m done with waiting and hoping for it to happen.

It’s exhausting, every few months or so, where Apple or Tim or somebody associated puts out some long roundabout BS reason to not allow sideloading. The US dropped plans to push Apple on this, and now the UK. I honestly don’t think it’ll happen at this point.
Respectfully I think you're wrong, I think it will happen sooner rather than later actually.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Maybe Boris Johnson will start taking advantage of Brexit to make the UK more attractive to outside investment.
The UK will never be as attractive an investment as it used to be. Never.

Brexit has killed it and revealed how small a player we actually are. How little that 'special' relationship actually was. The laurels of WW1 and WW2 have finally run out.

The back of the queue has never been so busy.

Boris needs to do crap like this to try and attract but I suspect that a massive piece of regulated market is worth more than a little piece of unregulated market.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

DanTheMan827

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
Apple has differentiated product lines across many countries to comply with local laws and regulations. They even include a charger in the box in some. That didn’t force their hand to implement the same policies everywhere, however.
Including certain hardware alongside the box of the phone in certain regions isn't quite the same as modifying software to add features.

What if someone in the EU travels outside of it and needs to restore their phone? Apple wouldn't prevent them from doing so, and is there any difference in the device model numbers between UK and the EU?

If it's the same model, it will get the same firmware.

Reactions: dysamoria

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
The UK won’t attempt to regulate Apple because they are too small and have pretty much their own self-respect, let alone that of the rest of the world. And I say this as an Englishman who loves his country and doesn’t want to see it burned to the ground by a vengeful media and gaslighting government.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
It's not surprising considering Boris. Too many parties :). He is also targeting the dismantlement of the NHS like a dog with a bone ...

“The longest and deepest financial squeeze in NHS history and rapidly rising demand for health care have left NHS frontline staff with a series of challenges they’re struggling to meet, despite working flat out. Those challenges include a crumbling estate, ageing equipment, 100,000 staff vacancies, pension rules that penalise many staff who work extra hours and a social care system in crisis. Taken together, this is leading to lengthening waiting lists and poorer patient care, despite the NHS treating 5% more patients this year than last." - FNHS.

Last edited:
  • Sad

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Including certain hardware alongside the box of the phone in certain regions isn't quite the same as modifying software to add features.

What if someone in the EU travels outside of it and needs to restore their phone? Apple wouldn't prevent them from doing so, and is there any difference in the device model numbers between UK and the EU?

If it's the same model, it will get the same firmware.
Totally agree that different software is completely a different beast to slightly different SKUs.

I’ve moved between countries/Apple markets, so I know that Apple maintains separate App Stores for each market. You can choose to remain in the App Store in which you purchased/first activated your phone, or switch to the new one.

In other words, the infrastructure already exists to differentiate on the software level.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
...? Isn't Apple not a centralized power itself?
Sure, but can they force you to do something under penalty of fines and/or imprisonment? BTW, I am not backing Apple in all of this and I don't agree with all of their practices.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Sure, but can they force you to do something under penalty of fines and/or imprisonment? BTW, I am not backing Apple in all of this and I don't agree with all of their practices.
Imprisonment, I don't think so. But they can and do impose fines and conditions for using their stuff. Subscription services, app store, developing on the App Store, etc. They set their own ToS there, which is also take it or leave it

TonnyM

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
Point for Johnson, regardless EU madness, UK customers will still have the choice of closed and secure mobile system.

Reactions: planteater

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
There's a lot of mobility for people living in Europe. So no third-party store while they're walking around the UK but it suddenly appears when they cross the English channel?
Generally, Apple ties country-specific features to the billing address of your Apple ID. You can switch stores and such, but features don't automagically pop up.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's not surprising considering Boris. Too many parties :). He is also targeting the dismantlement of the NHS like a dog with a bone ...

“The longest and deepest financial squeeze in NHS history and rapidly rising demand for health care have left NHS frontline staff with a series of challenges they’re struggling to meet, despite working flat out. Those challenges include a crumbling estate, ageing equipment, 100,000 staff vacancies, pension rules that penalise many staff who work extra hours and a social care system in crisis. Taken together, this is leading to lengthening waiting lists and poorer patient care, despite the NHS treating 5% more patients this year than last." - FNHS.
It wasn’t a party, it was a work thing with cheese and wine. Nobody told me it was a party.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
A missed opportunity (the regulation part not the side loading etc part), but they are pushing ahead with restricting freedom in the internet.
Still not surprised by this with the shower of an excuse of a government and PM we have in the U.K..

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I've always wondered if fines like the EU proposed 10% of global revenue are legal. I can see them making a case for the revenue from EU countries but not this business of thinking they have any rights to any part of revenue deriving from other countries.

Yes they are completely legal, America makes laws that affect other countries too. If it's to do with trade or competition laws have global reach.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Only for Apple.

One of the criticisms of Brexit was a weakening of consumer protections. This and other decisions indicate that cricisim was correct.
This is a strengthening of consumer protections. It provides consumers with an option of a closed ecosystem focused on privacy. Otherwise, consumers would no longer have that option. Opening the ecosystem is mainly for developers’ benefit.

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
This is a strengthening of consumer protections. It provides consumers with an option of a closed ecosystem focused on privacy. Otherwise, consumers would no longer have that option. Opening the ecosystem is mainly for developers’ benefit.
Yeah, I'm sure that's what Apple would argue. The reality is somewhat different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.