Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Until a few weeks ago I used an Apple Watch 6. I had Mindfulness Reminders set up for three times a day plus the beginning and end of the day. It worked fine.

Then I got an Ultra. The setup process copied my Mindfulness settings from the 6 to the Ultra.

Trouble is, the Ultra never gives Mindfulness reminders.

I have tried:

• Turning Mindfulness Reminders off and then on again
• Rebooting the Ultra

Neither worked.

Any other ideas?

2022-11-08 07.28.05.png

All of the time specific reminders are enabled.

2022-11-08 07.28.23.png

Reactions: Brad7

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Have you tried use Mindfulness manually to trigger something?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buadhai

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Have you tried use Mindfulness manually to trigger something?
Your edited answer and my faulty memory were the key.

I had not run Mindfulness manually on the Ultra. When I did I was asked to give permission for notifications by Mindfulness. That was the trigger, right?

So, now it works again.

Thank you very much.

• Love
Reactions: addamas

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Nice to hear :)

That was a guess, as a SW Tester I see often that system expects trigger to adapt the rest of settings but in some place it’s not getting it somehow or something override it.

In this case somehow such notification settings were not ”switched” with your moving from AW6 to Ultra. Weird.

If you have some time you could report it in feedback to Apple (they maybe take a look). For me it’s definitely a bug.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
@addamas wish you could assist w/ why my Ultra won't run automations like my S7 does, you def. got Mindfulness sorted out above.
Do you have a thread for it? Does they run on iPhone? And last question- do you have in mind automations which starts on their own or the ones started by you from AW?

I had problems with S7 when automations were not running but it was when they were run from Watch Face, when I started from Shortcuts app it was fine. Had to reapply shortcut for Shortcuts (the words, yay) on Watch face to make them working and syncing with AW.

Edit:
My next guess is to try to remove (not delete! :) ) such shortcuts to work on AW and switch them again to be visible on AW (Open Shortcuts app on iPhone > swipe from left to right > click on Apple Watch section > click edit on top > select one of them > on bottom of the screen click remove > go back to all shortcuts and click edit on removed one, then (i) on bottom > switch “Show on Apple Watch”).

Later on you can reorder shortcuts on AW by going to the same place as before with only shortcuts visible on AW :)

Crossing my fingers

Last edited:

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
Negative on the thread, just used Shortcuts on my iP13 for use w/ my Ultra so we shall see. I wear the Ultra early AM until 2000 then the S7 goes on overnite so the handoff may be causing the issue.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Unless they changed "Mindfulness" with the latest version of iWatch (I'm on a series 3), I can't figure out what exactly the mindfulness reminders mean. For example, it was saying things like:

"Be in the present" [ok, how can I *NOT* be in the present]
"Imagine sitting solidly on the earth. Bring that feeling of stability to something in your life that needs it" [what does that mean??]

Can someone translate these words into English?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Unless they changed "Mindfulness" with the latest version of iWatch (I'm on a series 3), I can't figure out what exactly the mindfulness reminders mean. For example, it was saying things like:

"Imagine sitting solidly on the earth. Bring that feeling of stability to something in your life that needs it" [what does that mean??]

Be in the present - is a short of having thought here and now, to be focused only on this place and time

About stability - when you sit on ground (earth) it will not shake (unless there is Earth Quake). So in short - feeling of stability is a thought that - no matter what - this situation will not change dramatically out of sudden.
And this is a feeling I think creators had in mind.

Reactions: Agile55

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021

Remember the last time you were totally engrossed in a good movie (or book or play or … )? Say, Star Wars. Though a full and precise accounting would be lengthy, you can presumably appreciate how it is, within context, perfectly valid and very meaningful to say that you were in a galaxy far, far away. Again, not in the literal, physical sense! But, still, in a very meaningful and important and significant sense.

If you pay attention to your thoughts, you’ll discover that, in this “theatre of the mind” sense, you spend most of your time somewhere that’s not where you literally physically are.

“A penny for your thoughts.” That’s the “alpha and omega” of mindfulness. Be aware of what you’re thinking.

Especially at first, it’s nigh on impossible to maintain such awareness for more than a few brief moments at a time. Almost instantly you’ll switch from observing your thoughts to analyzing them and then just thinking without observing, and then you’re back in this “other somewhere that’s not here and now” place.

But with practice, you can maintain that observational mode for longer periods of time, and the time it will take to get back to it will shorten.

This skill can have profound benefits. Think of the last time you were in an argument, said something stupid, and later wondered why you didn’t realize how stupid it was. With sufficient skill at mindfulness, you have a less-worse chance of getting back into that “here-and-now” mode, which can let you see that stupid thought forming and shut it down before it escapes your mouth. Similarly, many people with depression get stuck in a loop where they tell themselves how miserable they are; mindfulness can help you recognize that such thoughts are mere thoughts that you can let go of — and, indeed, that you will let go of, one way or another, given enough time, so why not let go of them now?

And it can help with focussing on a task, other forms of concentration … in general, it’s a type of strength and endurance training for your attention, for your observational skills.

It’s also a big deal in lots of religions, especially non-Western religions. But, just as you can practice Tai Chi for all its physical benefits without bothering with any of the religious elements, you can be mindful without praying to any gods. If you care about the fate of your eternal soul, sure, talk to a priest about that. But if you just want to ease some suffering in the here-and-now, there are lots of purely secular resources for mindfulness.

One not-bad place to start is the “Ten Percent Happier” franchise, which is well represented in the Apple store. But there’re lots of other not-bad choices, too.

b&

Reactions: fauxtog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.