Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckourlio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
I tried to upgrade my wifi-only iPad Air 2 to iOS 13 on patch day. The patch was downloading, but I kept receiving an "Unable to Verify Update" error. After failed troubleshooting, I thought I'd just try to restore from iTunes.

Big mistake.

The restore seemed like it went fine, but when my iPad restarted iTunes gave me an error that the iPad could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device (while also referencing a SIM card even though the device is wifi-only). The iPad displayed the Hello screen, and after connecting to wifi, it tried to activate and displayed an error that the activation server cannot be reached.

Apple Support pretty much said that both errors seem off and the issue is with the hardware. I could send it in for repair but it would be $299. It's not even worth that.

It's hard to accept that it's a hardware problem because my iPad was working great before attempting to update. Plus the fact that it successfully restored and connected to wifi. Activation seems like something they can control with software.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'm having a hard time finding information on the web. I'd rather not purchase a new device if I don't have to. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• itunes_activation.jpg
    itunes_activation.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 117
  • ipad_activation.jpg
    ipad_activation.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 105
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.