Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
I’m on a Mac Pro 5,1 and freshly installed High Sierra. For some reason I can’t open ANY application downloaded from the AppStore. Sometimes I can’t even download the app, sometimes it allows me to at least download it after I try it over and over again.

Some people I already asked suggested that it might download the version incompatible with my macOS, yet the AppStore always asked me that the current version is too high, but it can download the last version for my macOS. Also, I compared the version number of pages (which doesn’t work either) with another mac running High Sierra that has pages installed (and working), and it’s the same.

Does anyone know why this happens and how I could solve this issue?

7FAAC32B-2AB7-4FFA-93BB-371B347AE5B1.jpeg

Reactions: owbp

wivey

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
I'm having this same problem. Upgrade to High Sierra at the weekend. Everything seems fine, but no apps downloaded from the AppStore (including those by Apple and those reinstalled from TimeMachine) will work. Apps downloaded from websites are fine, as are those installed as part of High Sierra. The certification is showing unidentified developer for all these problematic apps. I've been looking all day but can't find a solution to this problem.

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
I'm having this same problem. Upgrade to High Sierra at the weekend. Everything seems fine, but no apps downloaded from the AppStore (including those by Apple and those reinstalled from TimeMachine) will work. Apps downloaded from websites are fine, as are those installed as part of High Sierra. The certification is showing unidentified developer for all these problematic apps. I've been looking all day but can't find a solution to this problem.
Same here! I have no problems downloading and opening software downloaded from the web.
I’ll keep you up to date if I can find a solution!

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Lots of people having the same problem at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252037712 Only solution I've seen is to do a fresh install and not sign in with iCloud account during setup. Instead complete the install, download all the apps from AppStore and then sign-in to iCloud.
I sadly can’t download apps without my iCloud account. Only way for me to download the High Sierra compatible versions is through my purchased history.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
I am facing the same problem.. i thought my OS got corrupted. I clean installed 3-4 times with fresh setup file, it worked once but after some time again, apps didnt start after fresh install from my icloud account.

Bad Apple?
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.36.04 AM.png

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
In addition to that "spctl" command, you may need "csrutil disable" to disable System Integrity Protection. That's a super-master protection setting. You need to do that in Recover mode, or booted on an install USB.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
In addition to that "spctl" command, you may need "csrutil disable" to disable System Integrity Protection. That's a super-master protection setting. You need to do that in Recover mode, or booted on an install USB.
will try that too.. but these issues were never faced in past 3 years of High Sierra, something might be broken at Apple's end i believe with most of the users facing it at the same time.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
Apple did indeed break something on HS... it's not us. I've downgraded back to Sierra until a guaranteed workaround is found.

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
Lots of people having the same problem at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252037712 Only solution I've seen is to do a fresh install and not sign in with iCloud account during setup. Instead complete the install, download all the apps from AppStore and then sign-in to iCloud.
True, does anyone know what exactly was in the latest firmware security update?

My brightness bars on OS X High Sierra jump by two bars now instead of one. Looks odd.

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo / Art / Music

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
Apple did indeed break something on HS... it's not us. I've downgraded back to Sierra until a guaranteed workaround is found.
I made a second clean install of OS X High Sierra yesterday with Safari and iTunes app store update as a logged in iCloud user.

installed Keynote, Numbers, Garageband, Pages right after the clean install and iTunes + Safari update.

All 4 apps worked.

I only surfed on Google, couple of youtube logins, macrumors login, app store login for OS X updates.

30 Minutes after ... same issue again ...

Keynote, Numbers, Garageband, Pages quit unexpectedly and do no longer open.

" I have disk images of my applications. It saves time by making a clean install. Otherwise I would spend
hours and hours and days to download everything from the internet again and again to find the bug in
"Infinite Loop Buggy Software made in USA "

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo Art / Music

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
I made a second clean install of OS X High Sierra yesterday with Safari and iTunes app store update as a logged in iCloud user.

installed Keynote, Numbers, Garageband, Pages right after the clean install and iTunes + Safari update.

All 4 apps worked.

I only surfed on Google, couple of youtube logins, macrumors login, app store login for OS X updates.

30 Minutes after ... same issue again ...

Keynote, Numbers, Garageband, Pages quit unexpectedly and do no longer open.

" I have disk images of my applications. It saves time by making a clean install. Otherwise I would spend
hours and hours and days to download everything from the internet again and again to find the bug in
"Infinite Loop Buggy Software made in USA "

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo Art / Music

Same..Yes I also tried clean install. Then, installed speedtest, adblock from appstore, worked fine. But after like 15 mins.. same issue popped up.

Never seen this much instability from apps in MacOS past 10 years or so.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013

I have forgotten what Sierra used to be like. Can you pls let me know the performance/speed ?? I am also thinking to downgrade for the moment unless Apple fixes it.

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
Same..Yes I also tried clean install. Then, installed speedtest, adblock from appstore, worked fine. But after like 15 mins.. same issue popped up.

Never seen this much instability from apps in MacOS past 10 years or so.

Never happened indeed in the past 10 years! There are no preference plist cache files or whatsoever
I can find. I can't even launch it right after a clean install with all the security updates.

I have managed to get it running with a clean install without the security updates and then it failed again
after 15-20 minutes or so, after I installed the security updates under OS X High Sierra.

Since Big Sur + Catalina + Mojave + High Sierra + El Capitan is affected ... I wonder how many other
loop security holes are in the NEXT coming base systems ... security scary OS X system this has become. (Joda)

I was almost done with OS X High Sierra + iOS 14.1 and got nearly everything working properly in networking
besides the bugs that still remain in the system. But, the entire workflow software environment was pretty much
good working so far.

And now, I need to restart from scratch. I know it's cyberwar times and you need to keep citizen users as busy
as ever possible with software troubles in order to make them loose as much time as ever possible when their
software workflow is halfway stable and working. Their own software workbench so to speak.

Military is only making their "Macho Muscle Show Parades" on the other hand.

" ?? Security updates, developed for closing security holes or making holes ? "

Regards,

BLACK BARON

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: vivek28

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
Since Big Sur + Catalina + Mojave + High Sierra + El Capitan is affected ... I wonder how many other
loop security holes are in the NEXT coming base systems ...

are other MacOS you mentioned facing same issue ? app store apps crashing on opening them.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
I can't even install any adblock due to this issues since all Safari addons are managed/installed through app store only.

any workaround to install adblock till this gets resolved ?

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
are other MacOS you mentioned facing same issue ? app store apps crashing on opening them.
By ironing over another OS X system update from one of their upgrade installers ... installed security updates that are already installed on your puter are ironed over.

Give it a try ... install an update (not clean install, just iron/install it over your existing system) and maybe that helps.

Launch Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Garageband after update installation is completed and see if it works after the
OS X system update.

Regards,

BLACK BARON

cheese85

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
I had the same issue. Installed High Sierra many times (clean installs, simple upgrade, ...), but new apps from the store couldn't start because of this error.

Finally this worked for me, and everything is fine now:
Type in Terminal
sudo nvram boot-args=amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1
and reboot afterwards.

Hopefully it helps you all.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
It's pretty clear it's a code signing issue brought about by the latest (006) "security" update. It affect existing application, ones newly downloaded. There are dozen of various things people post that you enter in terminal and all is good. People are desperately trying to extricate themselves from what can only be called a massive failure in Cupertino. It's been over 2 weeks now and not one peep from Cupertino, much less an "update update." Seems there is zero interest in fixing the issue correctly and fully in any kind of timely manner. If the same thing happened to one of their phones, BOOM you KNOW they be right in it. I am kinda lucky being long retired so I don't have the kind of productivity thing going on now. the apps that fail are by and large not of THAT much interest or have alternatives. Again, unfortunately Mail has not failed, or I'd be seriously screwed as I spend a LOT of time in it AND have a rather large archive. If I was trying to run a production environment, I'd have ditched everything from Cupertino by now... this is really inexcusable.

Reactions: vivek28
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.