Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheese85

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
I totally agree. If you're on a proven High Sierra system and have all your apps installed, you can wait. But unfortunately some (including me) were just installing a clean new system coming from stable Sierra system. So there I had two options: going back to Sierra, or trying to workaround the issue, at least until Cupertino has fixed the problem (I hope they ever will somewhen).

The problem is definitely in the AMFI, a security check integrated some years ago. I found an explanation about this security subsystem there: https://eclecticlight.co/2018/12/29/amfi-checking-file-integrity-on-your-mac/
I think with the last security update, they broke something in the AMFI. Therefore the only possibility is to deactivate the whole AMFI, until they release a bugfix, if someone want to stay on HS and need to download apps from the App Store.

alansoge

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
Mexico
I've been experiencing the same issue but i have researching and I found that it might affect only to sandboxed apps (those including from App Store or downloaded from internet that use sandboxing as App Store).

I also tried reinstalling High Sierra 6 times, 1 from usb, 1 from internet recovery and the others only change using HFS+ or APFS and I get the same error, APPS ARE CRASHING. I don't know what to do.

(Sorry for my bad English, I'm learning yet) I'm very concerned.
Below is an example of WhatsApp, but it happen the same with sandboxed apps.

Process: WhatsApp [4546]
Path: /Applications/WhatsApp.app/Contents/MacOS/WhatsApp
Identifier: desktop.WhatsApp
Version: 2.2047.10 (2.2047.10)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: WhatsApp [4546]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-11-29 01:31:40.323 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G14033)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: E7BDB22B-CCC0-E67A-5734-CC745063D284

Time Awake Since Boot: 1000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, running initializers
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Sandbox registration failed: The code signature is not valid: The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -2147409652.)

Application Specific Signatures:
Registration error: The code signature is not valid: The operation couldn’t b

Attachments

• iMac de Alan 2020-11-29.pdf
    62 KB · Views: 300

DocteurQui

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
France
I had the same problem after a reinstall of High Sierra on my mid-2011 iMac : I could install Pages and Numbers, but not run them, and I couldn't install GarageBand or iMovie, even without applying the 2020-006 update. I solved this issue by deleting valid.sqlite3 on /Library/Keychains/clrs, then launching the install or the app. A new and empty valid.sqlite3 was created and I can run my apps without problems. However, the original valid.sqlite3 file came back after a while (I'm not sure why), it only happened one time for the moment, I deleted it and it worked fine.

3ingot

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
I solved this issue by deleting valid.sqlite3 on /Library/Keychains/clrs
Sounds good though I'm unfamiliar with "valid.sqlite3". Is this found in a Finder window? Using Terminal? User or System Library? Thanks.

DocteurQui

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
France
Sounds good though I'm unfamiliar with "valid.sqlite3". Is this found in a Finder window? Using Terminal? User or System Library? Thanks.
Yes, you can find it in the Finder by going into /Library/Keychains/clrs. This is the System Library.

3ingot

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
You're a genius! How did you figure this out? I was confused by three OS Library locations. Like you, after trashing it, the file reappeared. Trashed again and file size remained at zero K. Same in all user accounts.

Thanks much!

3ingot

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
It definitely works until restart. At reboot you see the OS refresh files “update-current” and “valid.sqlite3-journal”. Then only “valid.sqlite3” remains, though its file size has increased and App Store apps no longer launch. Trashing the file again lets the apps run. So this is a temp workaround but at least App Store apps can launch.

3files.png

However, when rebooting with no internet connection the file size of “valid.sqlite3” remains as it was and App Store apps DO launch. Apparently a connection is being made to Apple and data is downloaded which alters “valid.sqlite3” and causes the problem.

Is this the same for you?

DocteurQui

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
France
You're a genius! How did you figure this out? I was confused by three OS Library locations. Like you, after trashing it, the file reappeared. Trashed again and file size remained at zero K. Same in all user accounts.

Thanks much!
I find this in a discussion mentionned by @Trystero in the other thread.
It definitely works until restart. At reboot you see the OS refresh files “update-current” and “valid.sqlite3-journal”. Then only “valid.sqlite3” remains, though its file size has increased and App Store apps no longer launch. Trashing the file again lets the apps run. So this is a temp workaround but at least App Store apps can launch.

View attachment 1687459

However, when rebooting with no internet connection the file size of “valid.sqlite3” remains as it was and App Store apps DO launch. Apparently a connection is being made to Apple and data is downloaded which alters “valid.sqlite3” and causes the problem.

Is this the same for you?
I will look at this tomorrow when I'll have access to my iMac.
May have a longer-term workaround. Posted in New installs Crashing from MacOS App store in High Sierra thread, here.
I took a look at this, I haven't a backup for this file but have access to others iMacs running High Sierra without this problem, so I will try this, thanks !

paulcons

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Was going to link to that 25 page thread on the apple support forums,m but I see it's been posted. It a pretty complex issue, but it's clear over there that here are only 2 guys who know enough to be investigating. Yes I have the issue AND one temporary solution in the Automator app one of the guys posted... it solves my issue for 3-5 days then I have to re-apply it.

3ingot

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
…I haven't a backup for this file but have access to others iMacs running High Sierra without this problem, so I will try this, thanks !

(I posted earlier on the other thread but comments haven't displayed yet…)

In the Apple forums thread you referenced, johnno_uk (Dec 5, 2020 11:48 AM, p25) suggests only replacing the valid.sqlite3 file. The reason is over my head. But this is what I had tried prior to reading about it there and since then my App Store apps launch and the App Store Purchased tab updates correctly.

~9 hours ago I installed Security Update 2020-005. I was curious whether it would mess things up again, but so far all is good! Interested to know your experience.

DocteurQui

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
France
So, I replaced my valid.sqlite3 file with the one shared by softmusic on this page. It's still there after a reboot, and it isn't automatically replaced by the faulty one, so it seems to work !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.