Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
We have heard about undersceesn fingerprint sensor from Synaptics. Looks like it is showed in this year's CES. The demo devices is Chinese brand Vivo.

This phone will be available in Asia market later this year. We will have to see when this type of technology available in North America market.

I would personal import one of this just to use this. I post this on alternative forum, because I don't think Apple would use this. They are just focusd on the FaceID.

Here is Mr. Mobiles video

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
We have heard about undersceesn fingerprint sensor from Synaptics. Looks like it is showed in this year's CES. The demo devices is Chinese brand Vivo.

This phone will be available in Asia market later this year. We will have to see when this type of technology available in North America market.

I would personal import one of this just to use this. I post this on alternative forum, because I don't think Apple would use this. They are just focusd on the FaceID.

Here is Mr. Mobiles video

Fantastic! I hope all OEMs focus on this instead of the gimmicky facial recognition.

I've tried the iPhone X, and I am not impressed with its facial recognition, Fingerprint still seems to be the fastest and most convenient.

Let's see how Qualcomm's rival to this will differ. Exciting times ahead :D

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
If this can be done well, I think it could be amazing.
I really am not a fan of fingerprint scanners on the back of phones, so if they could get one to work with the same precision under the screen, then colour me interested. :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't agree. Fingerprint and Face Detection are two options. You cannot say FaceID is better than fingerprint sensor.

I would love under display fingerprint sensor alone with Face Detection
So agree with you....I think it is just as secure and adds more convenience and is quicker to use as well.
I can have my finger on the scanner in my pocket as I take it out of my pocket and have it unlocked and not have to swipe to get to my home screen on my N8 and Pixel 2 XL and 8 Plus

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Looks like 2018 will be the year of in-display sensors. Google acquired a UK company that specializes in-display speaker and haptic feedback. Going to get interesting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tle-noise-buying-u-k-sound-tech-startup-redux
I guess with the displays getting larger and Bezels getting smaller, the less area around the sides of the phone to put things, therefore in-display tech is becoming the way forward.

I cannot wait to see the 2019 and 2020 Flagships, those will be the ones with all this tech properly implemented. 2018 is going to be the year of Firsts it seems. Great to see progress. :)

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'd rather have the fingerprint sensor under the screen and no notch, hopefully it will come back soon.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Fantastic! I hope all OEMs focus on this instead of the gimmicky facial recognition.

I've tried the iPhone X, and I am not impressed with its facial recognition, Fingerprint still seems to be the fastest and most convenient.

Let's see how Qualcomm's rival to this will differ. Exciting times ahead :D
You "Tried" it, but you haven't really used it, all I can say I will never go back to touch ID after using it for 2 months, no complaints.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Choice is the way forward. I'm looking forward to a Note 9 with under display FPS, 3D Face ID, and Iris scanner.

Iris scanner is redundant with Face ID.

Fingerprint scanners will be moved to second tier/tracphones. Premium flagships will all be on Face ID of some kind in the next couple of years.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
You "Tried" it, but you haven't really used it, all I can say I will never go back to touch ID after using it for 2 months, no complaints.
LOL!

Yes, I tried it......by using it, and I was not impressed, it's not as fast or convenient as TouchID or other FPS implementations.

I am glad you like it, but I did not, it's not as consistent or reliable as FPS at all.

Reactions: jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Iris scanner is redundant with Face ID.

That's like saying the option of a passcode is redundant with a password.

Fingerprint scanners will be moved to second tier/tracphones. Premium flagships will all be on Face ID of some kind in the next couple of years.

Quite the opposite. Industry highly suggests FPS are here to stay for flagship phones. There's even a good possibility that Apple will reintroduce Touch ID back into the iPhone, once under display FPS takes off in the Android world.

Reactions: Tsepz and jamezr

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I can unlock my phone with a badly placed scanner before the phone leaves my pocket.
How is facial ID better than that?
I'm trying to think of a compelling argument but speed is my argument.
Facial scanner, Iris scanner , Face ID are all slower..

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Quite the opposite. Industry highly suggests FPS are here to stay for flagship phones. There's even a good possibility that Apple will reintroduce Touch ID back into the iPhone, once under display FPS takes off in the Android world.
My thoughts too.....I have said it before and will predict it here again. If under display FPS evolves and gets as fast as current FPS....I could see Apple moving back to it sometime in the future.
FPS whether under the display or on the back is here to stay....

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I can unlock my phone with a badly placed scanner before the phone leaves my pocket.

Speed (of unlocking!) is exactly why I returned my X.

I have my 7 plus unlocked before I even have it on my face too.

When they release newer phone with upgraded faceID I'll try again to see if there is a difference.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Speed (of unlocking!) is exactly why I returned my X.

I have my 7 plus unlocked before I even have it on my face too.

When they release newer phone with upgraded faceID I'll try again to see if there is a difference, we'll see.
i know right and then you still have to wait for the unlock symbol and then swipe up! :-(

Reactions: 5105973

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
That's like saying the option of a passcode is redundant with a password.

Lol, don't know where people get the idea that we will get just 1 option to rule them all true Apple Fan mentality right there.

I agree that we will probably see multiple biometric solutions on top of having Passwords/Codes to use. Why only get Facial Recognition if you can have Under Display FPS, Facial Recognition, Iris Scanning and maybe even Voice.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013

Don't bother. Apple has people saying strange things around here. As if Facial Recognition is the be all and end all of Security some hilarious statements being made.

Choice is the way forward. I'm looking forward to a Note 9 with under display FPS, 3D Face ID, and Iris scanner.
Exactly! :)

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Touch ID will soon be history on future iPhone’s?! Apple will most likely focus on improving Face ID.

It is OK... I care less about iPhone. I have no interest with iPhone. My Android phone works fine and I like it. Won’t look back on iPhone anytime soon.

I however use iPad and I will looking for future iPads. I just got 2 iPad Pro 12.9 inch. Probably will buy future iPad Pro. I would want TouchID.

Reactions: Newton’s Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.