Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
The tip screen at many establishments is going to be the corporate world’s best friend. Once it becomes customary to tip, all of those employees will be shifted from standard employees to tipped employees that are only required to be paid half of minimum wage.

Be careful what you wish for.

Some of the benefits asked for here are a stretch, but that’s how negotiations work. Both sides should leave the table mad, otherwise one side won.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Tips, jog on with that. I do not believe in tipping anyone. The price of stuff is expensive enough as it is without paying a tip on top. I don't tip in restaurants either, never have and never will. I'm not subsidising someones wages, that's the business/owner's job to do that and pay them more.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
LOL.

Tip for what? Do you tip at Best Buy? Target?

Like everything else, don't fall for social pressure and tip $0.
We can thank the businesses with digital kiosks that all ask for tips for this trend. It's so stupid. I always put $0

tip.png

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
They should negotiate for commission instead. I’m not tipping the guy that grabs my iPad out of the back room.
Apple Retail stores, from the beginning, did not have employees work off commission because they didn’t want employees to needlessly upsell customers to higher price points to make more money. This would damage the customers’ perception of the employees’ incentives. To this day, they will try to down-sell people who think they need the “best” (aka most expensive) iPhone/iPad/etc to save people money, because it’s a part of their culture and they don’t make more money just for bleeding $100 more out of the customer. I like that.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If Apple starts doing this, everyone else will too, and they will drop everyone down to tipping wages across the industry and all the cost increase will be on us to make up while the companies make record profits. Just like they’ve been making record profits since the pandemic and yet they keep citing “inflation” which is completely made up because their profits wouldn’t be so high it they were just adjusting for inflation.

Make tipping illegal and require a living wage! And if companies don’t pay a fair wage for the work produced, people wont work there. You’ve seen that happen since the pandemic. Tons of low-income labor was deported, while tons of people retired early. People were able to move up to better paying positions. The tipping system in the US is so jacked up. You’re expected to tip even for poor service, which makes me wonder why the customer has to pay an employee’s wages?

Don’t get me wrong, I tip, but tipping amounts keep going up too. I hear people talking about how 30-35% is the standard rate now, with 40-50% for a good job. Excuse me? When I was younger back in the 2000s I would tip 20% for an amazing job, 15% for average, and 10% for poor, and 25 cents tor abysmal. And I can only think of one abysmal—waitress sat over to the far corner of the restaurant (it wasn’t busy) chatting with friends the whole time and never once checked on us. Once we finally flagged her down, she says “Why didn’t you tell me your food was wrong.” After I had finished eating it. OKAY. Not to mention our empty drinks. Only time I genuinely got upset at a worker, but even then she still got a quarter.

And for these reasons we barely eat out anymore except for special occasions. Or I order carryout, which they also expect a tip for just handing me my bag of food? Nope. I refuse that. But they are probably spitting on my food when they see no tip. And so I don’t do that often. You know what I’ve done? I’ve gotten really good at cooking at home. Between my smoker, charcoal grill and pizza oven, I can make all the tasty things. And it saves us a ton! Screw this stupid culture of tipping such high amounts. With YouTube anyone with half a brain can make amazing food at home. Our friends told us to open a restaurant, lol. And if I did I wouldn’t have tipping and pay them well! And I would advertise it as no tipping, which I’m sure would draw a lot of interest. But I would never because it’s difficult to open a successful restaurant.

And to reiterate to the dummies reading this comment that are probably frothing at the mouth, I’m not saying not to tip people. But I’m saying we need to replace it with a better system as a society—NOT expand it to places like Apple and the rest of retail!! These employees are only hastening their demise as many more people will shop online to avoid this.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Tips are bad, tons of articles and videos on why. I feel guilty when someone asks for a tip. If I store starts asking for tips, I stop going to the store. It’s not as simple as just selecting 0 for tip, now I feel bad, the employee feels like I’m a jerk, or that they did something wrong. Just pay the employee more and abolish tips.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Tips, jog on with that. I do not believe in tipping anyone. The price of stuff is expensive enough as it is without paying a tip on top. I don't tip in restaurants either, never have and never will. I'm not subsidising someones wages, that's the business/owner's job to do that and pay them more.

Great but it's common practice in restaurants to pay BELOW minimum wage and tips conceptually make up the difference. Here's that current minimum wage for tip-able employees in the U.S.

You taking your stand is not going to get that service staff paid even regular minimum wage. If everyone would run with your approach, all of that kind of employee would quickly vanish and/or restaurant owners would be meaningfully jacking up their pricing to cover paying full minimum wage or more than that, so that their employees can actually cover minimal costs of life.

Basically, others willing to tip are subsidizing your personal policy. Hopefully they keep it up. Else, we'll all get to see a whole new kind of price inflation.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Most here are focusing on the tipping, but holy ****, "a $1 an hour increase for workers who become first-aid certified [why?], up to 34 weeks [almost 8 months] of severance pay for layoffs, extended paid bereavement leave up to 45 days per year."

Yes, some of that seems pretty "shaky" to me too. However, this is how unionized negotiating goes. Union asks for a LOT, company offers a little. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate and some settlement is reached between the extremes that makes both parties happy.

If union asks for only what they actually want, negotiation compromises will land at something less than what they really want/need.

Apple is out there negotiating the same with suppliers all of the time. Apple asks for the sun & the moon. Supplier offers less than that. They go back and forth until both parties find something in the middle they can accept. Deal is struck and business continues. It's happening every day in all kinds of buy:sell transactions.

Trying buying or selling a home. Seller wants maximum price. Buyer wants minimum price. Both do some give & take to arrive at something that gets the deal done... or not.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
God no. I'd rather they shut down the retail stores than start giving rewards for using high pressure sales tactics (which is what some will do, no matter the intention of commissions).
Then order online like everybody else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.