Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I occasionally find that my iPhone XS Max won’t respond when I tap the screen to wake (even for lots of times). Often I need to repeatedly press the side button for many times to solve the unresponsive problem.

My phone is always on the most updated iOS version. (I.e. 12.3.1)

Who has also encountered this problem? What is the underlying cause behind it?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I occasionally find that my iPhone XS Max won’t respond when I tap the screen to wake (even for lots of times). Often I need to repeatedly press the side button for many times to solve the unresponsive problem.

Have you tried a hard reset to determine if it clears the glitch:

How To Hard Reset An iPhone XS & iPhone XS Max
  1. Quickly press and release the volume up button.
  2. Quickly press and release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button.
  4. Release the side button when the Apple logo appears on the screen. This can take 20–30 seconds in some cases.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I tried. I will report if it works or not..
Have you tried a hard reset to determine if it clears the glitch:

How To Hard Reset An iPhone XS & iPhone XS Max
  1. Quickly press and release the volume up button.
  2. Quickly press and release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button.
  4. Release the side button when the Apple logo appears on the screen. This can take 20–30 seconds in some cases.

andylel

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
When I had the same thing happen on my iPhone X it was a faulty screen and had to be replaced.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This happened to me, once. After some seconds the screen awoke and seemingly played back in fast motion all of the touches to the screen. It was so notable as this hasn't happened previously and hasn't happened since.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

dogegg

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010

I've got the same problem and got a Genius bar appointment booked for this evening so will see what they say. Interesting to hear that others are having the same issue.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I've got the same problem and got a Genius bar appointment booked for this evening so will see what they say. Interesting to hear that others are having the same issue.
I’m interested in hearing what Genius Bar will say. Please keep us informed.

Reactions: Tsepz

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010

I had the same happen to me. Luckily I was still in my return window and just returned the iPhone. Looks like you’re going to the Genius Bar soon.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I had the same happen to me. Luckily I was still in my return window and just returned the iPhone. Looks like you’re going to the Genius Bar soon.
I’m already not eligible for a return.

dogegg

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
I’m interested in hearing what Genius Bar will say. Please keep us informed.
They did a hardware check and all was fine. Said likely to be an OS issue or settings. Did a reset of all settings, then they said if that didn’t work would need to do a clean install of the phone before exchanging it. Since resetting all settings it hasn’t happened again yet. Fingers crossed it’s gone away.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
My max did this today. Completely unresponsive. Happened when I removed the phone from wireless charger, not sure if the charger was the issue or not?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This happened to me again last night. I plugged in the (apple) lightning cable into the phone. Plugged the USB end into the "apple brick" and then plugged the brick in. I saw the screen flash and when I picked it up to use it, the screen was unresponsive. I waited about 30 seconds and then the screen came back. I had the phone since November and this is the second time this happened and I wonder if it has to do with the sequence of plugging in the cable first and the brick second.

This does not seem like a "hardware problem", more of something in software that seems to be getting hung up.

Reactions: Aydy

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I guess the problem is not an individual incident. It happens intermittently. Let us wish Apple will have a software fix for it.

Reactions: I7guy

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
My max did this today. Completely unresponsive. Happened when I removed the phone from wireless charger, not sure if the charger was the issue or not?

This happened to me a few mornings ago. I woke up, took my XS Max off my wireless charger and the lock screen was totally frozen - I couldn't do anything and I had to do a hard reboot. After that it was fine.

Reactions: Aydy and Hofstede

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
This happened to me a few mornings ago. I woke up, took my XS Max off my wireless charger and the lock screen was totally frozen - I couldn't do anything and I had to do a hard reboot. After that it was fine.
You are not alone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Mine has done this about 6-7 times since I got the phone. One time it did it 3 times in the same week. It hasn’t happened for the past 2 weeks though. So hopefully it won’t happen again.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Lol, I believe sometime down the line, maybe in a year or so, Apple will admit there is an issue, by that time most will have moved on from the XS Max.

I really hope this is not a Hardware issue.

Mine stopped doing this..... *knocks on wood* but let’s see what happens after iOS 13.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
Mine just did this. The letters D wont select and times it ghost touches and opens apps..... I have a Genius Bar appointment this morning. I've done all the software trouble shooting. It has to be hardware Screen/digitizer...

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
UPDATE:

Hey guys so I went to the Apple store yesterday about this issue. The Genius nice dude, did a bunch of tests. Finally he did a display test where he used his finger to color in the screen blue where he found a strip going from the top and bottom of the left side would not respond to his touch. Concluded as a hardware issue. Hour later I was out with a brand new shiny display for my XS Max. Great service probably helped I had AppleCare+

Reactions: Wide opeN

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
The first Xs Max I bought in February did this, was in my return period so I took it back.

Had another return after that for cosmetic reasons, and haven't had an issue with my replacement I received in April.

Reactions: I7guy

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
UPDATE:

Hey guys so I went to the Apple store yesterday about this issue. The Genius nice dude, did a bunch of tests. Finally he did a display test where he used his finger to color in the screen blue where he found a strip going from the top and bottom of the left side would not respond to his touch. Concluded as a hardware issue. Hour later I was out with a brand new shiny display for my XS Max. Great service probably helped I had AppleCare+
Thanks for the update! So far there is chance that the problem is related to the display. So let’s keep an eye on it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I was 10 days from warranty expiration date.
Apple replaced the screen. It didn't correct the problem.
Apple replaced the screen with a 2nd screen.
It did not correct the problem.
Apple replaced it with a new iPhone Xs, which is probably a refurb unit. Battery charge count is 0.
Manufactured in October, 2019. This unit comes with 90 day warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.