Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tclementdev

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
My experience is that participating in the Find My network is not the problem, the problem only occurred to me when the AirTag was added to my account. If I had to make a guess, I would say this is caused by the anti-stalking measures where the iPhone regularly needs to check whether the AirTag is around. This is needed because if the AirTag is around a device associated with the same Apple ID then other devices moving with it do not notify their owners.

Reactions: SaguaroSeven

chris3000x

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022
I’ve been having battery drain issue for weeks so far. I literally tried everything I could and even made a troubleshooting list:
  • location services off
  • Share location off
  • Reseted Apple Watch
  • Update Apple Watch OS
  • Logged out Apple account
  • Logged out iCloud
  • Restarted phone
  • Removed AirTags and AirTag batteries
  • Deleted some apps
  • iCloud log off
  • Toggle off wifi
  • Reset all settings
  • Factory reset phone
  • Find my off
  • Find my device off
  • Airplane mode turned on
  • Bluetooth off
  • Powered off my phone
None of the above solutions worked. I couldn’t believe that even when my phone is powered off it’s still drains. My battery drains 30-40% even when there’s absolutely nothing showing in the battery usage tab throughout the night. At this point my phone is no longer a smart phone. I’m very disappointed as this is an iPhone 13 which I got 6 months ago. The only option I have now is to bring it to Apple Store unless someone has another idea that I can add on the list. Please let me know lol. This is honestly such a time waster trying to figure this out.

Update:
Went to Apple store and rep said I need to use the computer to factory reset the iPhone since the computer freshly installs the OS onto the phone. She said not to restore from backup as well. Done all that but battery still drains.

Attachments

• C2AFC914-6F49-4D6D-840F-5109CA7F288C.png
    C2AFC914-6F49-4D6D-840F-5109CA7F288C.png
    252 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I know it sounds silly, but I got the 13 Pro Max, where the battery is so big, that battery drain is less pronounced. Now FindMy consumes between 5% and 10%, which is... kinda acceptable.

I got rid of all the AirTags, but the drain is still there, dunno, I just stopped caring.

Novius89

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2020
For me it only happened this first night.

The only “problem” I have is : when I take my bike from the basement, or from work, or from shop or any other location I parked it. The AirTag is chiming.

It doesn’t chime when I locate it with find me before I move the bike, but I can’t imagine thats the
Purpose of these things 😂😂😂

peterto11

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
88EB200A-E23D-4686-B56A-622C3A01C818.jpeg

Hey Guys I have a battery drain caused by the “find my” app. It drained about 20% of my battery yesterday. I have 1 AirTag registered to my Apple ID. It also drains my battery during the day. I removed my Apple AirTag today from my Apple ID and will see is there is any battery drain tonight. Has anybody found a solution to the battery drain?

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
I wonder whether anyone who has AirPods with FindMy capability, but and no AirTags could comment on seeing unusual battery drain. I am wondering whether the AirPods might also contribute to battery drain.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
I had battery draining visible on the iphone only. Unpaired the tags and then paired again.
Now the iphone is like the iPad always was.
Can I ask you whether you were still having “nominal” battery drain with AirTags on your Apple ID? Is the only thing you did, to simply remove the AirTags from your Apple ID and then add them back again?

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I have a similar problem with a twist, running 16.0.2 on my phone, removed the battery on the airtag since I only use it when traveling. Seeing about 20% battery drain overnight attributed to “find my”. Deleted airtag from phone and battery drain fixed.

Reactions: jpiszcz

Vegas33139

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2014
Muffsville, Jannerbama
Ok, I had the dreaded 'find my' baddery drain on my 14PM. When I updated to 16.1, I removed all air tags, did a hard reset, and things now seem to be a lot better. Now only 9% over a 24 hour period, and 14% over 10 days. Which, is a lot better than what I was getting - 39% over a 24 hour period!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Ok, I had the dreaded 'find my' baddery drain on my 14PM. When I updated to 16.1, I removed all air tags, did a hard reset, and things now seem to be a lot better. Now only 9% over a 24 hour period, and 14% over 10 days. Which, is a lot better than what I was getting - 39% over a 24 hour period!

Last night I checked this out on my phone. Overnight it drained 11% and the only app in the usage was Find My. I’m going to remove the AirTags today and see what happens.

great_vc

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2021
So for what i'm reading there is no improvement on this.
I Have 14 6.1", with 16.2 (or what is the latest) and you people with new phones still have the same effect.

I was kind of hoping that things got better

erzincan

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
I am literally going crazy because of this.

I have

iphone 13 mini - ios 16.1.1
ipad pro 11 3rd gen - ipados 16.1
ipad pro 10.5 - ipados 16.1

i dont have airtags !! neither anyone in my vicinity. all devices have mostly different apps.

battery drains up to 40% overnight because of find my and sometimes siri shows up. all the devices shows similar drain.

my wife who has iphone 11 - ios 15.6 doesnt have such a problem
tried anything recommended in such forums like this and cannot solve the problem.

we both using philips hue in our home. and share airpod pro 1st gen.

hope someone come up with a solution.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I recently purchased a new 12.9” M1 IPP, and the thing is draining like 15-20% overnight. I’ve checked the battery and it’s Find My running all night. I’ve done everything from removing my Airtag from Findmy (and removing the battery), completely reinstalling my OS, and removing this iPad from Findmy and still nothing works. Findmy runs constantly in the background draining the hell out of my battery.

I’ve spent hours researching, and I find a bunch of other people with the same problem, but I cannot find a “fix” anywhere. I suspect it’s simply a bug in iPadOS that won’t go away until they patch it at some point.

Holding out hope someone here has experienced the same issue and found a fix!

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
I recently purchased a new 12.9” M1 IPP, and the thing is draining like 15-20% overnight. …
I initial thought was to dismiss your post, but this morning I noticed the same thing. I have experienced find my drain on my iPhone if it’s not plugged in overnight, but this had not been a problem on my iPad. Last night I was reading a book on iPad and the battery level was in the mid 30s. This morning it was under 15%. I looked at the battery gauge and it was the Find My app having a high impact every hour overnight.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that something has changed in the Find My Network. This problem has generally been afflicting iPhones rather than iPads. Perhaps try leaving your iPad connected to power for 12 hours or even more. That might allow it to do whatever is necessary in the background?

I’m about to go on a trip, but when I get back, I will remove the last AirTag from my iCloud account. That seems to be the only solution for people with these problems.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
I sca
See my post here.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...new-11-inch-m1-ipad-pro.2351169/post-31769096

Short answer, it's not the Airtag, it's a Contact icloud sync bug (for me at least).
Really annoying problem to diagnose as it didn't show up in battery status.
I scanned that thread. Seems to be complaints regarding iPad battery life in general; this thread is about FindMy activity, typically overnight.

Are you suggesting that this contacts sync issue will be reported in the battery settings as Find My activity?

Kellyeffct

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2022
I sca

I scanned that thread. Seems to be complaints regarding iPad battery life in general; this thread is about FindMy activity, typically overnight.

Are you suggesting that this contacts sync issue will be reported in the battery settings as Find My activity?
What I found is the contact sync issue doesn't show up in the Battery settings, but because we see Find my activity in Battery settings, we assume that's the cause. It may or may not be, and you have to try and isolate the actual issue you're having, and for me that was Contact Sync.

Of course I may have jumped the gun, but this was a thread that I found when trying to solve my issue and thought the process I went through may help someone else.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
What I found is the contact sync issue doesn't show up in the Battery settings, but because we see Find my activity in Battery settings, we assume that's the cause. It may or may not be, and you have to try and isolate the actual issue you're having, and for me that was Contact Sync.

Of course I may have jumped the gun, but this was a thread that I found when trying to solve my issue and thought the process I went through may help someone else.

Corrected post 12/1

Before adjusting the iCloud contact sync— was your iPad Pro 12.9 draining much faster than your iPhone 13?

Even after setting up my 14 from scratch it still drains much faster than my 13.

Last edited:

Kellyeffct

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2022
Before adjusting the iCloud contact sync— was your iPhone 14 draining much faster than your iPhone 13?

Even after setting up my 14 from scratch it still drains much faster than my 13.
I have an iphone 13 pro max, and it didn't have any issues. Only my ipad pro m2 12.9 did.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I recently purchased a new 12.9” M1 IPP, and the thing is draining like 15-20% overnight. I’ve checked the battery and it’s Find My running all night. I’ve done everything from removing my Airtag from Findmy (and removing the battery), completely reinstalling my OS, and removing this iPad from Findmy and still nothing works. Findmy runs constantly in the background draining the hell out of my battery.

I’ve spent hours researching, and I find a bunch of other people with the same problem, but I cannot find a “fix” anywhere. I suspect it’s simply a bug in iPadOS that won’t go away until they patch it at some point.

Holding out hope someone here has experienced the same issue and found a fix!
iPadOS 16.2 fixed my battery drain problem, so relieved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.