Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Actually, I didn’t have this problem on 16.1 but started happening on 16.2
Sorry to hear that man, but I am so relieved my issue was corrected via the update. I imagine these updates often time cause issues for as many people as they wind up correcting!

Reactions: addamas

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
What I found is the contact sync issue doesn't show up in the Battery settings, but because we see Find my activity in Battery settings, we assume that's the cause. It may or may not be, and you have to try and isolate the actual issue you're having, and for me that was Contact Sync.
I tried your suggestion for several days in early December. Forgot to post results: no change. Disabling Contacts from icloud made no difference over several days. Find My still was highly active overnight.

to add insult to injury, I’m back now because over Christmas holiday my iPad was in a Find My death spiral. No idea what prompted this. All this drain was while iPad was in standby…

when i got home I tried removing the one remaining AirTag from my account. After three days, I see no difference at all. Still seeing significant overnight activity And drops of a several percent on iPhone and iPad. <sigh>

Attachments

• F9F20D69-4297-4C03-B490-E9DE365B039F.jpeg
    F9F20D69-4297-4C03-B490-E9DE365B039F.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 151

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
Well, I've given up and delete my airtags from my Apple account and put them away in the cupboard.

I've tried everything and and anything and all found suggestions, but they still kill my battery.

Maybe I'll dig them back out when Apple come up with a solution.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Well, I've given up and delete my airtags from my Apple account and put them away in the cupboard.

I've tried everything and and anything and all found suggestions, but they still kill my battery.

Maybe I'll dig them back out when Apple come up with a solution.
Yeah and unfortunately taking them to Apple is of no help either.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I think there’s a delay for FindMy usage to show up on the screen. Check again do you see it now?
Weird, after charging and next day as you said it’s almost not applicable in power consumption - but still drain in idle.
AirTag is 5 meters away by one small plaster wall.

Attachments

• CF4F6BAA-5B90-4396-AF2A-F6BF865C8B82.jpeg
    CF4F6BAA-5B90-4396-AF2A-F6BF865C8B82.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 97

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
Weird, after charging and next day as you said it’s almost not applicable in power consumption - but still drain in idle.
AirTag is 5 meters away by one small plaster wall.
Mine looks just like that and I don’t have air tags. Most of the week my devices all stay at home including my iPhone.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Mine looks just like that and I don’t have air tags. Most of the week my devices all stay at home including my iPhone.
I highly appreciate your feedback.
Does your iPad if I assume you have behaved in 16.2 way better in terms of idle battery usage?
I am sure I it was way more flat on previous iOS version 16.2

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
I highly appreciate your feedback.
Does your iPad if I assume you have behaved in 16.2 way better in terms of idle battery usage?
I am sure I it was way more flat on previous iOS version 16.2
No.. 16.2 was like this too. It was 16.1.2 that didn’t have this issue and over night usage was none. The bars stayed flat.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Wow. After a weekend during which I thought of a few useful tests for "finding my stuff", I was just 15 minutes away from finally ordering and trying out some Airtags.

Now, I read that battery life of my iPhone is diminished if I use the Airtag? Hmmmm... Apple needs to work harder to stamp out reasons for NOT trying out their peripheral gear.

I just spent a lot of time and effort cracking open our iPhones and successfully replacing their batteries.

So, I'm pretty sensitive to things that want to degrade my battery life.

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Update:

Ok. So after updating to 16.3.1, I have reinstalled my air tags. After 3 days, battery drainage is only 4%. This is a massive improvement. Previously my battery drainage was averaging 30-40% in the same sort of time period.

I have no idea if it was the IOS update, or numerous attempts at disconnecting and reconnecting my air tags, but this time it seems (we'll see) to have been sorted out. Time will tell!

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Running IOS 16.4 on 14PM. The Air Tag baddery drain is even less now currently at 2% over the last 48 hours. That'll do. Now I can be confident it's fixed and buy some more AT's. Only problem is, is where to put them! Maybe the Tortoise in the garden? or the £20 notes in my wallet, because **** knows where they go!😄

• Haha
Reactions: osplo

great_vc

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2021
My only purpose was for the Dog
Maybe if it is fixed now with 16.4 i will give it a try.

can any more people verify the finding ?

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
can any more people verify the finding ?
I haven't been monitoring this closely in the past weeks, but the first night after 16.4 update, my 1st gen 11" iPad Pro (with somewhat degraded battery) went down only 1% over about 12 hours. Although Find My still shows up with a high % in some hours, there wasn't any noticeable drain. Last night the drain was more like 4% (56-52%), so for me it looks promising, but the verdict is still out. [From today I will be on 16.4.1.]

Reactions: Corgirat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.