Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pad07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
I was in the middle of something when the MacBook just switched off.

Gone.

It won't turn on again. I've had it two weeks.

I've tried removing the battery and power adapter, etc etc all the steps on Apple's site.

Please tell me I haven't lost EVERYTHING i.e. all my files, my 3000 songs and 5000 pictures and all my work. Please tell me that... :(:(:(:(

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Take it to an Apple Store, and they'll see what they can do

This is why you need backups! and why leopard will be awesome when it gets here because it will do it so seemlessly....
but really, go to an apple store and see what they can do. If you have had it for less than two weeks, they'll most likely just exhange on the spot, and if you dont want a refurb, just ask them for an exchange.. or ask the manager...

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Sounds like a power supply problem, your data should be sound, take the hd out & connect to another mac. I would seriously doubt you have lost your data:)

The tec guys may have steps to get round the power...

pad07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Is there any way to check if the HD is alive?

I connected the MB to my iMac with a FireWire cable and nothing happened...

When I press the power button on the MB the light to the right of the iSight camera flashes green... is that any indication?

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
There are a few possibilities. It might be a problem with your logic board, in which case the drive is *probably* fine, but the computer is hosed. If the drive, however, was making crazy noises before it died then the drive and your data might be toast.

In any case, if you are not knowledgeable enough to proceed on your own then I would consider getting your machine into a store (Apple Store or otherwise.) My best guess is that your drive is okay, but it is still at risk of being screwed up if you aren't careful.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
If the power supply has gone then you will have no joy this route as the HD gets its power from this also.

If you are unsure of the removal of the hd & reconnection, I would take the previous advice & get down to your Apple store. They should sort it for you.

Don't panic:D

pad07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks for the kind and prompt replies. I feel slightly better - I am now only very devastated. :(

Will go straight to an Apple store first thing tomorrow with it.

Do you think if I stamp around enough they will give me a free iPod? :D

In all seriousness, the HD did not make any noises before the computer turned off suddenly. And the magsafe's green light still glows when plugged in.

pad07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
One quick question - when I go to the Apple store, is it okay to JUST bring the notebook or need I bring all its packaging and leads?

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
One quick question - when I go to the Apple store, is it okay to JUST bring the notebook or need I bring all its packaging and leads?

If it is only a few weeks old, bring all your packaging and adapters and stuff. That way if they go to replace it you can return all your original stuff and they can exchange you with all new stuff.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
How does SD compare to Carbon Copy Cloner?

I don't know if this is still the case, but CCC doesn't have "smart" backups, so everytime you clone your drive, it clones everything which can take quite a while.

SuperDuper on the other hand has something called smart backups and it will only update the necessary files. It cuts my backup time by 75% (30 minutes vs 2 hours).

Also if you use a firewire drive it is bootable. Copying back to a new hard drive is also really easy.

Highly recommended.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I don't know why everyone says wait for Leopard, it has Time Machine... just use SuperDuper: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

It exists now and is cheap... I have an automated backup run at 3am every day to external storage. I'll probably turn off Time Machine if it's a hog like Windows System Restore.

Cliff.

SuperDuper may do the same thing as TimeMachine, but where TimeMachine shines is in its ease of use, and the set-it and forget-it aspect of it. It runs smoothly, and I don't really notice it in the background on my Leopard Beta (though, i guess technically I shouldn't be talking about it... but you know what, Steve Jobs announced Time Machine, so its not like I am giving anything away)

pad07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Update

Wow. That was utter hell.

So I rang Apple and they, like you guys, said 'Go to your nearest Apple store'. My nearest Apple store is an hour's train journey away, but alas I did it.

I arrive at 4.00. I sign up for the 'Experts' but am told I must wait till 7.15pm for assistance. I do so.

At 7.00 I return to the Apple store. I am not seen till 8pm. At 8pm, the man I see tells me:

- The MacBook is toast
- The HDD is not.
- It cannot be replaced in store and must be reordered online. He says I am eligible for a brand new machine, not just a refurb. He sorts it out online and gives me a reference number, then tells me to ring the Apple store online tomorrow. Basically I could have done all of this from home without paying quite a bit for a train journey and wasting a lot of time in my day.

I come home.

I am upset about this. Not only am I having to wait for a new machine, but I wasn't shown much sympathy at the fact that I have work on the machine that now cannot be accessed and may have to be redone.

Is there any way I can get something out of this? I'd quite like to get a new iPod, do you think if I ring up and ask for only 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB they will let me use the difference to buy a new iPod? Or perhaps could I ask for the new system to be shipped when Leopard is out, with it bundled? I could wait a few weeks if it'll save me the cost of Leopard.

I feel like complaining but I doubt I'd be listened to. Apple told me on the phone to go to the store, which I did, but when I got there, after a 4 hour wait, I was simply told I would have to get a new system and send back the old one.

:( :( :(

Any advice?

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
That sucks man. I don't know why they didn't just replace it right there and then.

I brought back my iMac a few weeks ago because of three stuck or dead pixels.

I had it three weeks and wasn't expecting a new one. All I wanted was for the genius to remove the screen and try to massage the pixels back to life. When I asked him to do that, he asked me how long I had the computer for. I told him just over three weeks and pulled out the receipt. He asked me if I had a backup of my stuff at home. I told him most of it.

He said, "Is it cool if I just swap it? Give you a brand new machine?"

What?

"It's just I'm really busy today and to take it to the back is too time consuming."

Cha-Ching.

They removed my 3rd party RAM in the back and replaced it in the new unit.

You should have received the same treatment considering your machine was only two weeks old.

pad07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Sounds like you were lucky :( I'm happy you got a good service.

Can anyone offer advice for what I should say on the phone tomorrow? regarding changing my replacement so it ships when and with Leopard when it comes or downgrading the RAM to 1GB (from 2GB) to get an iPod?

Do Apple offer any compensation as an apology for poor service like I have received, that has resulted in my own financial and time loss?

jeejeebu

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
As far as I can tell, no. Ever since the iPhone came out, I can't get anything close to decent service from Apple.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
you couldn't have gotten them to take out your HDD for you? or get them to help you transfer your files? hmmm.... never been to an apple store before...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.