Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
you couldn't have gotten them to take out your HDD for you? or get them to help you transfer your files? hmmm.... never been to an apple store before...

I wonder what they do with returned product. I've seen a lot of forum members getting iPods, iPhones and MBPs exchanged. Do they toss them out, charge-back the vendor or rework everything?

Anyway, I would have thought it cool if they opened up the computer and handed you the drive (or did a restore like theman said above).

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I wasn't shown much sympathy at the fact that I have work on the machine that now cannot be accessed and may have to be redone.

No manufacturer guarantees your data for you.

Getting bent about Apple not being not sufficiently sympathetic that you didn't back up, is not particularly useful.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/cpuwarranty.pdf

Apple does not warrant that the operation of the product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the product’s use....
you should make periodic backup copies of the information contained on the product’s hard drive or other storage media to protect the contents and as a precaution against possible operational failures...
Recovery and reinstallation of software programs and user data are not covered under this Limited Warranty.
When you call Apple again, you may have an option, and that is to ask for advance exchange (sometimes called DIY warranty) where they will take your charge card for security, and then send you the replacement machine first.
Then, you could take the old machine to an authorized independent Apple service centre, and pay them to extract the hard drive, transfer the data, and then put the HD back into the dead machine.

Alternatively, if you cant do the advance exchange, you may be able to have the hard drive taken out, data imaged off of it, onto an external hard drive, and then put back in.

This service will cost you money, of course, but that's the consequence of not doing the backup prior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.