Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7 Owners: Did you upgrade from a 7?

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Other (post in comments)

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Went to a 8+. The last great iphone with touch ID (despite synaptic now making one that would work with the AMOLED X display, Apple's too cheap to likely use it though)
The X might be better for you as the Tele OIS is a huge improvement over the 8+
That's my main regret with the 8+

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
But I can't help personally feel there's just not quite enough there to justify the price. I feel like things could get a lot better if I wait two years. Of course things will ALWAYS be getting better every year; but after doing some camera testing, I could barely even tell the difference between my iPhone 7 and the X on my Mac comparing both images. Low light the X did do moderately better; but it's such a incremental difference.
2 years, I can almost guarantee the camera will be much better. The rate of improvement each iteration is like the old Intel days. If you can wait 2 years, it's always a better investment to hold onto your money until you need the phone or any tech that becomes obsolete so quickly. As per my usual schedule, I will have a new iPhone in 2 years as well. Hopefully it will be able to make coffee by then.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
2 years, I can almost guarantee the camera will be much better. The rate of improvement each iteration is like the old Intel days. If you can wait 2 years, it's always a better investment to hold onto your money until you need the phone or any tech that becomes obsolete so quickly. As per my usual schedule, I will have a new iPhone in 2 years as well. Hopefully it will be able to make coffee by then.
Yes - I know my iPhone 7 can make it another year... but not sure it will make it another 2. So really the question for me is, do I upgrade now or next year? Hmm.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes - I know my iPhone 7 can make it another year... but not sure it will make it another 2. So really the question for me is, do I upgrade now or next year? Hmm.

My thoughts are if you want to upgrade now, then take advantage of it. But if you're content with your Device currently and you don't see the need or feel compelled to upgrade, then don't.

Reactions: BJB Productions

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
My thoughts are if you want to upgrade now, then take advantage of it. But if you're content with your Device currently and you don't see the need or feel compelled to upgrade, then don't.
Thanks. I think I'll probably wait until next year. Then the year after that I may upgrade again.

Reactions: 44267547

GreenPea

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm sold my Iphone 7 and am testing out the new Pixel 2. It's an amazing phone for many reasons including incredible battery life, and I am getting used to Android. However, I have decided that I really do miss the Iphone for its simplicity and form factor. I am getting the 8 mainly for the new chip, camera, and I do like the glass back.
I know it's not a huge upgrade but incrementally better. I realize the X is probably an amazing phone, but I just don't see enough advantage to get it. (I'll probably keep the Pixel 2 as well. It's an incredible phone)

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I had a 6+ so I guess spec and camera wise it can't compare.

However, I can comment on the screen size, form factor, and face id.

Screen: I guess it could use more width like my 6+ but after using this phone for two days I already forgot about it and it doesn't bother me. I don't watch movies, just youtube video here and there and the notch doesn't bother me. The landscape mode still works with texting and several apps, just wish the home screen still had flipped to landscape mode (I use that in my car, again, not a deal breaker). OLED is beautiful, I turned off true tone as I prefer the cooler colors.

Form: Very welcomed. My main photo / video taker so its easier to hold, even with my case. The almost bezels display is stunning and I find myself just checking it out from time to time.

Face ID: I like it better than touch id. I have sweaty fingers so touch id was always hit or miss with me. Face ID is quick enough and a nice feature. Especially in the cold months like now (for my region at least) wearing gloves outside and trying to open my phone is easier now.

I hate the price, but I mentioned before I can afford it, will keep this for a while, and I have a minimalistic approach (only other apple device is a retina MacBook so having no apple watch or iPad saves me money in that matter).

Was not impressed with the keynote, but now that I have it in my hands I changed my mind and welcome the X. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
The news breaking today is very interesting; as I mentioned, I feel I have been experiencing decreased speeds in my iPhone 7 which is now only a year old. That is what prompted me to upgrade as well.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The news breaking today is very interesting; as I mentioned, I feel I have been experiencing decreased speeds in my iPhone 7 which is now only a year old. That is what prompted me to upgrade as well.

I've tested the crap out of my iPhone 7, which is almost 15 months old and running iOS 11.2.1. Absolutely no signs of slowing down under any conditions. I am not disputing the data from Primate Labs, clearly other people's 7 and 7+ phones are being messed with, but it's not universal. Did you test your phone?

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I've tested the crap out of my iPhone 7, which is almost 15 months old and running iOS 11.2.1. Absolutely no signs of slowing down under any conditions. I am not disputing the data from Primate Labs, clearly other people's 7 and 7+ phones are being messed with, but it's not universal. Did you test your phone?

I have no done a Geekbench test yet, it's just been under observation and daily use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.