Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
I am considering upgrading my iPad (currently 2018 iPad Pro 11) to the iPad mini 6 and need some input.

I do typical iPad things with my iPad (content consumption, light email, web browsing, etc), but I also do 2 additional things:
  • Edit RAW photos in Lightroom while on the go
  • Use it for Zwift for indoor bike training
Should I keep my iPad Pro 11, upgrade, or just wait?

To be clear, I'm interested in the Mini 6 because of its size and portability. I have a MBP 14, so I don't need an iPad to be a laptop replacement (i.e. don't care about keyboard support, stage manager, etc). I also have the latest iPhone with the A15 chip, so I'm familiar with how it performs in a phone, but wasn't sure how it would do as a future-proof iPad processor.

Any input from anyone else who does quite a bit of RAW photo editing or does training on Zwift that can add some input on how the A15 performs?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
As a Mini lover I was absolutely disappointed with the Mini 6. People can debate certain displays issues but one thing most agree with is the terrible UI. It’s extremely obvious Apple does not care about the Mini form factor so it looks like a terrible port of bigger iPads and because of this I’ve decided to vote no with my money.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
As a Mini lover I was absolutely disappointed with the Mini 6. People can debate certain displays issues but one thing most agree with is the terrible UI. It’s extremely obvious Apple does not care about the Mini form factor so it looks like a terrible port of bigger iPads and because of this I’ve decided to vote no with my money.

As a mini lover, what about the UI of the mini 5 that was so much better that you loved it but hate the 6?

The 6 is fine for me for what it is, a small screen. I’m glad they didn’t try to cram in all the UI of the full size iPads.

Having said that, to the OP, I do my content consumption with the mini, creation (LR), with the iPad Pro 12.9.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This is a tough question, OP.

If the 2018 11" is getting slow and you don't mind the downgrade in screen size, the mini 6 is fantastic, in my opinion. It's basically a mini iPad Air. The screen isn't quite as nice, but I don't really notice, even being an owner of a 13 Pro Max and the newer MacBook Pro--both of those devices have the ProMotion screen, while the mini 6 doesn't. It has not been an issue for me in daily use--I find that the pros of the form factor far outweigh the cons of the LCD.

My wife and I both used to use minis as our daily use iPads, but I haven't owned one since the mini 3. The mini 6 is such a huge improvement in so many ways. Seems like this is the iPad I've been waiting for.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the M1 12.9 and the Mini 6 and use Lightroom for processing of Canon 90D .CR3 RAW images (about 30MB each). I don't see any performance issues using LR on the Mini 6 but I really don't like using it for this purpose because of the small display - solely a personal preference. That aside, I really like the Mini 6 with cellular as my mobile device (I also have a 12 Pro Max but prefer using the Mini on the go).

Reactions: zerocharlie

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
As a mini lover, what about the UI of the mini 5 that was so much better that you loved it but hate the 6?

The 6 is fine for me for what it is, a small screen. I’m glad they didn’t try to cram in all the UI of the full size iPads.

Having said that, to the OP, I do my content consumption with the mini, creation (LR), with the iPad Pro 12.9.
They literally did try to cram the full size UI into the Mini. Browsing websites is either too big or small, widgets look terrible, and a host of other issues. Originally Apple had Safari set to “desktop websites” on initial release but it was so bad the next update they silently turned it off so it uses mobile sites now. That speaks a lot about the issues.

GhostOS

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2022
OP, switching to an iPad Mini 6 from a 2018 Pro is definitely not an “upgrade”.

You‘re literally downgrading into a device with a terrible screen, jelly scroll issues, and awful UI scaling which is such a worse experience than a 2018 Pro. Not to mention the latest charging shambles:

Do yourself a favour and steer clear from this awful device, if you want to upgrade, a new Pro iPad with M2 is just months away.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am considering upgrading my iPad (currently 2018 iPad Pro 11) to the iPad mini 6 and need some input.

I do typical iPad things with my iPad (content consumption, light email, web browsing, etc), but I also do 2 additional things:
  • Edit RAW photos in Lightroom while on the go
  • Use it for Zwift for indoor bike training
Should I keep my iPad Pro 11, upgrade, or just wait?

To be clear, I'm interested in the Mini 6 because of its size and portability. I have a MBP 14, so I don't need an iPad to be a laptop replacement (i.e. don't care about keyboard support, stage manager, etc). I also have the latest iPhone with the A15 chip, so I'm familiar with how it performs in a phone, but wasn't sure how it would do as a future-proof iPad processor.

Any input from anyone else who does quite a bit of RAW photo editing or does training on Zwift that can add some input on how the A15 performs?
The Mini has some issues which some people think are unbearable, while others consider minor in the face of its nice size so only you can decide how you feel about them.

Apple gives you a 15 day return window, and if you buy from Costco I think you get 90 days, so my suggestion is to try it for a week to decide if you are happy editing photos on its smaller screen. You an always use your MBP to finalize your edits. But if editing photos is your primary iPad use, as opposed to reading books and surfing, what will the Mini offer if you don't enjoy editing photos as much?

Reactions: Digitalguy and thv

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Mini has its issues but I love mine for the portability with content for media on the go and web browsing kicks all the right boxes for one handed use
I agree--and just to take it one step further--I look at each specific Apple device as a different way to access the entire ecosystem. They are all accessing the same data/apps/files, but have different input methods and form factors. When I want portable power and the iPhone isn't going to be quite enough screen space or software flexibility for what I'm going to be doing, my next logical choice is the iPad mini, then the 14" MacBook Pro, and so on and so forth.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I agree--and just to take it one step further--I look at each specific Apple device as a different way to access the entire ecosystem. They are all accessing the same data/apps/files, but have different input methods and form factors. When I want portable power and the iPhone isn't going to be quite enough screen space or software flexibility for what I'm going to be doing, my next logical choice is the iPad mini, then the 14" MacBook Pro, and so on and so forth.
My devices might overkill but

13 pro max
Mini 6
iPad Pro 12.9
16 inch MacBook Pro

Works great for me for different use cases

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I love the Mini too, but I've been using the 2018 11" IPP for the last years. I could not imagine a Mini 6 being an upgrade from an 11" IPP unless you really need the smaller size.

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022

13 pro max
Mini 6
iPad Pro 12.9
16 inch MacBook Pro

same except + desktop & gave the pro to someone and got the new air. yeah I could easily make do with less but I love and use them all, I've made worse purchases.

I genuinely do not have complaints about the mini... I guess I'm blind but switching from 13PM to 16 inch MBP to Mini I don't think "wow this screen is awful." I think it's something you just need to test if you're interested, I did and ended up loving it. If you do want it I think some people having an issue with one OS update is a silly reason not to go for it.

As for editing, LR is fine on it but I just personally wouldn't go with it as your only iPad if you'd say editing is going to be your primary use/you don't need the small size. I'd put the $ towards a new air or something just because of the size

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

13 pro max
Mini 6
iPad Pro 12.9
16 inch MacBook Pro

Lol, mine’s

iPhone SE3

iPad mini 6
iPad Air 4
iPad Pro 11
iPad Pro 12.9

ThinkPad X1 Nano (personal stuff)
ThinkPad E15 Gen 2 AMD (WFH)
M1 MacBook Air

M1 Mac mini (shared)
Intel NUC7i3BNH (WFH)

The iPads get a ton of use. The laptops the least.

The Mac mini is shared so even if I personally don’t use it much, it still sees regular daily use (YouTube typically).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Lol, mine’s

iPhone SE3

iPad mini 6
iPad Air 4
iPad Pro 11
iPad Pro 12.9

ThinkPad X1 Nano (personal stuff)
ThinkPad E15 Gen 2 AMD (WFH)
M1 MacBook Air

M1 Mac mini (shared)
Intel NUC7i3BNH (WFH)

The iPads get a ton of use. The laptops the least.

The Mac mini is shared so even if I personally don’t use it much, it still sees regular daily use (YouTube typically).
Got almost as much as me (except in the Windows department, there I have got plenty of stuff). Do you still have your second 12.9 (2nd gen) or you got rid of it?

Mine would be

S10e

iPad mini 5
iPad pro 11 cellular (used to be my on the go device, now gets little use)
iPad pro 12.9 (2X) both my most used iPads
(+ some older iPads used for some specific/occasional purposes)

Thinkpad X1 Nano cellular (my current on the go device)
Windows desktop (main device)
Surface Book 15
M1 Mac Mini
Intel MacBook Air (basically used as a Chromebook)
(+ some older Windows devices used for some specific/occasional purposes)

Couple of Android tablets (including the S8 ultra)

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Got almost as much as me (except in the Windows department, there I have got plenty of stuff). Do you still have your second 12.9 (2nd gen) or you got rid of it?

Mine would be

S10e

iPad mini 5
iPad pro 11 cellular (used to be my on the go device, now gets little use)
iPad pro 12.9 (2X) both my most used iPads
(+ some older iPads used for some specific/occasional purposes)

Thinkpad X1 Nano cellular (my current on the go device)
Windows desktop (main device)
Surface Book 15
M1 Mac Mini
Intel MacBook Air (basically used as a Chromebook)
(+ some older Windows devices used for some specific/occasional purposes)

Couple of Android tablets (including the S8 ultra)

Gave the 2017 12.9 to my mom. :p

I used to have more Windows stuff (Mini-ITX HTPCs for each TV and a file/media server) but as hardware failed and I got too lazy to DIY, they got replaced by AppleTVs and Synology NAS.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would keep your iPad Pro 11 and get the iPad mini 6. It gives you more options and you won’t be limited by screen size (too small, too heavy).

I have the

iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPad mini 6
iPad Pro 11
MBA 13

And I have a first gen SE that I use when I’m feeling very lazy in bed at night.

I like having a variety of screen sizes so I can pick whichever device suits me at the the time.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
I did the opposite of you - I sold my mini 6 and bought a second hand 2018 11’ and pocketed the difference. The only feature that I found to be better with the mini was portability, but even that isn’t an issue for me with the 11’. I can’t imagine myself ever going back to the mini form factor after using the larger model.

Reactions: zerocharlie

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
I would keep your iPad Pro 11 and get the iPad mini 6. It gives you more options and you won’t be limited by screen size (too small, too heavy).

I have the

iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPad mini 6
iPad Pro 11
MBA 13

And I have a first gen SE that I use when I’m feeling very lazy in bed at night.

I like having a variety of screen sizes so I can pick whichever device suits me at the the time.
I’m somewhat considering this. My iPad Pro 11 is cellular, but maybe I keep it but put the SIM in the mini 6 as a more mobile option.

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
I did the opposite of you - I sold my mini 6 and bought a second hand 2018 11’ and pocketed the difference. The only feature that I found to be better with the mini was portability, but even that isn’t an issue for me with the 11’. I can’t imagine myself ever going back to the mini form factor after using the larger model.
Oh interesting. I’m starting to lean towards just keeping the 11 and waiting. Maybe I pick up a mini 6 for portability when a decent sale hits, but it sounds like the 11 is probably going to stay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.