Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
If you're like me and still holding on to a Unibody MacBook from 2010 - 2012, you'll have noticed that the wireless connectivity can be lacking on these models!

While this guide won't cover Macbooks made in 2009 and prior (at least not yet), I will be focussing on Macbooks made from 2010 through 2012. These laptops are great, and they have lasted us a good long time. But they face one big problem: age. Most of these laptops are approaching a decade in age and many of us still have them. Because the world is constantly changing around us, a lot of what's inside these Macbooks are considered obsolete. One of those being the wireless (WiFi + Bluetooth) combo card.

Many of us own new Bluetooth 4.0 devices and 802.11 AC Wireless routers that are capable of speeds over 1 Gigabit per second. But you'll have noticed that your old Macbook may not be able to keep up with those products! Macbooks made in early 2012 and earlier have a maximum WiFi speed of 450Mbps (802.11 N) and a maximum Bluetooth version of 3.0 (2012 models have 4.0).

So here's the solution: I am working on an open-source design that is easy to use and extremely affordable to upgrade your Macbook with! If there's one thing that you'd want to upgrade in your Macbook to keep up with technology, it would be your wireless card, as it is among the more easier to replace parts of your Macbook.

So here are the models that can be upgraded:
  1. MacBook Pro 2010 - Mid 2012 (non-retina) (All sizes)
  2. MacBook Air 2010 - 2012 (All sizes)
  3. More Mac computer upgrades coming soon!
How does it work?
The solution is a work in progress right now, and it consists of an adapter that will adapt a Macbook wireless card from a newer model and allow you to use it in an older Macbook computer. Not many modifications are required to make it possible, and I am working on a one-size-fits-all solution that should be simple to design. That's only needed if you have a MacBook Pro though. If you have a Macbook Air, the solution is much easier as you can purchase a Wireless card for a newer model and slot it right in with minimal effort.

How much does it cost?
The design is completely free because it is open-source! I made it free to download and replicate because I have no intentions of actually selling it, as there is already someone on this forum selling their own design here. It does cost a fair bit especially for a really old model of Macbook, but you get the benefit of having a prebuilt solution that works out of the box. My solution on the other hand will come in the form of files that you can download freely and get manufactured from a PCB manufacturer for a few dollars and shipped to your home. From there, you can do it with existing tools and parts or purchase new ones that may be more equipped for the job. You also need a wireless card, which can be had for anywhere from $5-10 on eBay. The PCB itself is $2 + shipping. I'll have all links attached below. For most people, the whole thing will cost less than $20.

How to Upgrade your Mac?

Once you have purchased all the parts, you'll just need to assemble it like you would a DIY project. It shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 either. All the instructions for assembling and completing the upgrade will be on the GitHub page linked below. I wouldn't call it a newbie project though, so having some prior experience handling a soldering iron and operating it is important. Ask a friend if you want help with the soldering!

So here's all the links you'll need to get started, with more to come:
Remember, all of this is provided with no warranty whatsoever. I take no responsibility if you break something!
  1. GitHub This is where everything including files and instructions will be.
  2. My personal website (coming soon) This is for a blog with some info on the project likely.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for sharing. Do you have an ETA on when you’ll be able to share more details?

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Thanks for sharing. Do you have an ETA on when you’ll be able to share more details?
I do infact have more details to share right now! Here is going to be Update #1 of the design and development process.

I was able to desolder the tiny antenna connectors and replace them with the ones on the old 2011 wireless card. This now makes it compatible with the Unibody Macbooks because they use larger antenna connectors. (the same connectors are seen in iMacs) In addition, the card fits within the existing plastic wireless cage with a few small modifications. The same can be said for the retina Macbook Pro wireless cards as those appear to also work. (I don't have any of the Pro model on hand so I cannot check measurements.) Because it fits in the existing cage, there is no need to use a 3D printer (unless you want to) and print out a shell so you save some money in that regard. Now all that is next is building a PCB which will be a bit more cumbersome with my tools.

The Retina Macbook Pro Wireless cards cost $10 on eBay give or take, and they have 3 antenna connectors, whereas the MacBook Air has 2. I used to own a 2015 13 inch Macbook Air and I can confirm that the 2 antenna connectors that it has will suffice. The designs will be on GitHub, and everyone is free to use it and access the documentation there. I do not plan on including details for the iMac wireless card just yet because it is big and won't fit in the existing cage without heavy modification and/or just outright 3D printing a new one. Attached below are some pictures of this mock-design.

Because I have a lot of work to do right now, I cannot take the measurements right away and develop an accurately measured prototype just yet, so don't expect it to fit correctly. The best I can do right now is make a very quick and inaccurate basic model with electrical connections to give you all an idea of what it will look like.

These images here are of the Macbook Air 2015 wireless card that I got for $5 and will be sacrificing for this project, as well as the modifications made so far.
IMG_5714.JPG IMG_5715.JPG IMG_5717.JPG

jrumball

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
? Paintenly waitting for the PCB design have all the other parts allready .....

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
? Paintenly waitting for the PCB design have all the other parts allready .....
Schematics are being made as I type this response! I will post a second update once I have also built the accompanying PCB files because what good are the schematics if there is nothing to go with it. If you can't wait though, here's a small snippet of the schematics that I have worked on so far. I will upload both the schematics and PCB files to GitHub once I have done all the measurements of the Wireless cards so that everything is accurate. Thanks for patiently waiting!
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 10.24.32 PM.png

Reactions: trifero

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
For everyone who is following the project, much progress has been made lately, and a basic model of the adapter is here. It's not production-ready just yet, but some more tweaking is necessary and it will be soon ready. Please check the GitHub to see the progress! There are also some images there of what the adapter looks like in the current state of development. Big thanks to @jrumball as well for all the many details and measurements!

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
You're a legend for doing this mate, much appreciated. Am following closely
Thanks! I have recently posted the universal adapter on GitHub, and while we don't have a physical adapter available for testing, you all can check it out and leave feedback. We hope to get them fabricated so we can test them to make sure all the features work as expected.

Attachments

• MBPUniversalAdapter.PNG
    MBPUniversalAdapter.PNG
    383.5 KB · Views: 406

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
So far in the process, the first revision of the Universal adapter is available on the GitHub under "Releases." It fits within a 17x10mm space and you can get the PCB fabricated by JLCPCB for $2, with a shipping cost of around $5-7 depending on where you live. It seems to pass all the checks, so I'm fairly confident that it will work. Happy modding!

Edit: When you go to order, select to specify the location of the order number, so that it prints it underneath the connector location where it is marked "JLCJLCJLCJLC." This will make it so that the number doesn't show when you go to install the adapter.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: RSSouza

Timothee_Fr

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
So far in the process, the first revision of the Universal adapter is available on the GitHub under "Releases." It fits within a 17x10mm space and you can get the PCB fabricated by JLCPCB for $2, with a shipping cost of around $5-7 depending on where you live. It seems to pass all the checks, so I'm fairly confident that it will work. Happy modding!

Edit: When you go to order, select to specify the location of the order number, so that it prints it underneath the connector location where it is marked "JLCJLCJLCJLC." This will make it so that the number doesn't show when you go to install the adapter.

View attachment 1742450
Good morning to everyone and thank you for your excellent work. I live in France and don’t speak English very well. Your project is excellent. I have a MacBook Pro in mid-2012 and I want to update my wifi card. I don't understand how to do it. Can you help me? Thanks

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Good morning to everyone and thank you for your excellent work. I live in France and don’t speak English very well. Your project is excellent. I have a MacBook Pro in mid-2012 and I want to update my wifi card. I don't understand how to do it. Can you help me? Thanks

Thanks for showing interest in the project, it's very much in a pre-release stage right now so I wouldn't call it ready for production or anything. @rumballd pointed out a few potential issues with the design, so we are looking into it just to make sure everything is ready to go. They are actually selling a prebuilt solution for this for much less than the other company that is, so if you want to get this adapter without having to do soldering and assembly, you could purchase from them when they launch.

I personally have not ordered my design yet so I can't actually test it outside of the simulator. But once it is working in the simulator, I will be confident enough in the design that it's ready for final release. As always, it's free to download from the GitHub!

Reactions: RSSouza

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
One thing I should point out is that the amount of 17 inch owners out there is not nearly as high as 15 inch owners. Based on the measurements I have taken, the 17 inch and 15 inch have very similar wireless card cages, so both of them are pretty much interchangeable. (17 inch Macbook Pro wireless assembly fits in the 15 inch Macbook Pro)

And as an update to the project here on this thread: I will be archiving the model-specific adapter as the universal adapter will be finalized and added to the release section soon. It will be downloadable, parts can be ordered, and some instructions will be made as to put it all together. It will require soldering tools, so make sure you have some experience with that first if you chose the DIY route.

Last edited by a moderator:

ccwhite55

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2021
I do infact have more details to share right now! Here is going to be Update #1 of the design and development process.

I was able to desolder the tiny antenna connectors and replace them with the ones on the old 2011 wireless card. This now makes it compatible with the Unibody Macbooks because they use larger antenna connectors. (the same connectors are seen in iMacs) In addition, the card fits within the existing plastic wireless cage with a few small modifications. The same can be said for the retina Macbook Pro wireless cards as those appear to also work. (I don't have any of the Pro model on hand so I cannot check measurements.) Because it fits in the existing cage, there is no need to use a 3D printer (unless you want to) and print out a shell so you save some money in that regard. Now all that is next is building a PCB which will be a bit more cumbersome with my tools.

The Retina Macbook Pro Wireless cards cost $10 on eBay give or take, and they have 3 antenna connectors, whereas the MacBook Air has 2. I used to own a 2015 13 inch Macbook Air and I can confirm that the 2 antenna connectors that it has will suffice. The designs will be on GitHub, and everyone is free to use it and access the documentation there. I do not plan on including details for the iMac wireless card just yet because it is big and won't fit in the existing cage without heavy modification and/or just outright 3D printing a new one. Attached below are some pictures of this mock-design.

Because I have a lot of work to do right now, I cannot take the measurements right away and develop an accurately measured prototype just yet, so don't expect it to fit correctly. The best I can do right now is make a very quick and inaccurate basic model with electrical connections to give you all an idea of what it will look like.

These images here are of the Macbook Air 2015 wireless card that I got for $5 and will be sacrificing for this project, as well as the modifications made so far.
IMG_5714.JPG IMG_5715.JPG IMG_5717.JPG
For anyone that is interested in using this card without having to desolder and solder the IPEX connector, I found this surfing the web and thought it was worth sharing: https://www.elek.se/item/m84p6g9ylk...ale-male-connector-bcm94360hmb-bcm94352z.html

Reactions: jrumball

Dr Alves

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
I buy the ac adapater from a company in this forums!
But this thread was amazing!
Thanks a lot!

mateuszd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
Hey guys, need your help understanding the upgrade process.

I've installed the kit however I had to remove the wifi card along with its enclosure and this prevents me from being able to screw the back cover in this location since the screw has nothing to hold on to.

Did I do something wrong?

20210714_142414.jpg

20210714_142422.jpg

I also had a bit of an adventure as one of the IPEX 1 to IPEX 4 adapters fell apart inside the connector and I was lucky with pliers to be able to remove it. The card itself only has 3 antenna connectors.
I left the 4th cable from the side of the old card unplugged, is that how you guys did it?

jrumball

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Hey guys, need your help understanding the upgrade process.

I've installed the kit however I had to remove the wifi card along with its enclosure and this prevents me from being able to screw the back cover in this location since the screw has nothing to hold on to.

Did I do something wrong?

View attachment 1806111

View attachment 1806112

I also had a bit of an adventure as one of the IPEX 1 to IPEX 4 adapters fell apart inside the connector and I was lucky with pliers to be able to remove it. The card itself only has 3 antenna connectors.
I left the 4th cable from the side of the old card unplugged, is that how you guys did it?

Instructions for the A1278 can be found here which will take you through the installation

www.intriguingindustries.co.uk/a1278-installation-instructions/

Modification of the WiFi cage is a requirent for the A1278 as stated in the compatibility guide and shop page

www.intriguingindustries.co.uk/126-30pin-molex-adapter-v2-wifi-card-compatibility/

The 4th antenna (The Longest) cable is the BT antenna an not required for a BCM943602CS.

As discussed in the installation instructions the IPEX adaptors are fragile and why an extra is supplied .

Hope that helps, send me a PM if you have any other questions.

(I will be updating the packing slips to include the URL to the instructions page to avoid further confusion )

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

mateuszd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
Instructions for the A1278 can be found here which will take you through the installation

www.intriguingindustries.co.uk/a1278-installation-instructions/

Modification of the WiFi cage is a requirent for the A1278 as stated in the compatibility guide and shop page

www.intriguingindustries.co.uk/126-30pin-molex-adapter-v2-wifi-card-compatibility/

The 4th antenna (The Longest) cable is the BT antenna an not required for a BCM943602CS.

As discussed in the installation instructions the IPEX adaptors are fragile and why an extra is supplied .

Hope that helps, send me a PM if you have any other questions.

(I will be updating the packing slips to include the URL to the instructions page to avoid further confusion )
I will try to modify the cage. I hate doing this kind of work, totally don't trust myself.

I tried to be very gentle with the antenna cable but still it snapped. I have installed them inside the headshrink now.

Too bad I didn't see the guide before doing it. I will try to modify this setup now to fix the bits I missed out.

mateuszd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
Alright, I have been able to cut the board and I'm surprised how nicely it split into two parts.
It was quite fun trying to fit all this in there but managed to close it eventually.

Has anybody been able to iperf their AC card? I'm getting about 700-800 Mbps which is quite good but less than what the theoretical 3x3 speed could be however my access point is backed by only a gigabit cable and it's heavily loaded so this is a really satisfying result as it actually exceeds my M1 Mac which I believe is due to 3x3 and not 2x2 MIMO like the M1 is.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

jrumball

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
I’m glad the instructions helped !

It is a tight fit with a BCM943602CS !

The throughput you are seeing is very respectable, good news.

Reactions: mateuszd

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Alright, I have been able to cut the board and I'm surprised how nicely it split into two parts.
It was quite fun trying to fit all this in there but managed to close it eventually.

Has anybody been able to iperf their AC card? I'm getting about 700-800 Mbps which is quite good but less than what the theoretical 3x3 speed could be however my access point is backed by only a gigabit cable and it's heavily loaded so this is a really satisfying result as it actually exceeds my M1 Mac which I believe is due to 3x3 and not 2x2 MIMO like the M1 is.
Best part about it is the bluetooth connection for me, so much better range and way more stable

Reactions: mateuszd

mateuszd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
Best part about it is the bluetooth connection for me, so much better range and way more stable
No wonder since the WiFi antennas are most likely much better (longer?) than the BT ones.

I think I will be facing a similar issue in my cMP 5,1 where the card has 4 antennas and the BT one is known to not work very well.

The only thing that could be an issue with this card is that if you use BT and 2,4Ghz WiFi at the same time it might not work very well but I don't care since I use 5Ghz WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.