Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Just ordered my adapter for $2 and it works great! Soldered it up and taped it down and now I can use BT4.2 and WiFi AC on a 2011 MacBook. Files and instructions are on GitHub if you want to try it out.

IMG_6319.JPG

mateuszd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
Just ordered my adapter for $2 and it works great! Soldered it up and taped it down and now I can use BT4.2 and WiFi AC on a 2011 MacBook. Files and instructions are on GitHub if you want to try it out.

View attachment 1811805
Glad it works.
I'd have done it myself but I don't feel comfortable with soldering and wanted a ready to go adapter

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
If there's enough demand, I might start selling these since they cost me very little to build. I'd likely only be shipping within the United States as I am using USPS as the carrier, though I'd probably sell it for $29.99.

Edit to post: I have made the decision to not sell any of these as the demand is not quite high enough for me to start producing these, nor would it be in the best interest of others already producing and selling them. I encourage you to see their products as they are easy to use and still fairly inexpensive.

Last edited:

tabormeister

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2018
Southern PA
If there's enough demand, I might start selling these since they cost me very little to build. I'd likely only be shipping within the United States as I am using USPS as the carrier, though I'd probably sell it for $29.99.
I would absolutely buy one at that price, if you decide to make another pm me!!

Was going to grab one of the pre-built ones but the price jumped considerably this last drop and it's too much for me

HedleyH

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2021

Was going to grab one of the pre-built ones but the price jumped considerably this last drop and it's too much for me
Very much the same here.

I can't seem to find the instructions for the soldering connections on the GitHub. I probably just missed something but is it by chance under a different file type?

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020

Looking back, it may not be possible for me to manufacture many of these, as I am focusing my efforts on a different product at the moment (Open source as well).

While it would be great to sell these at a low price, I would need to gather supplies and figure out how much demand there is before considering if it is worth it or not. I do however have extras that I may send out in the future, time will tell.

I recommend @jrumball’s design mentioned earlier as it’s fairly low cost and has a modular connector, so you can install and remove the wireless card as nothing is soldered.

For anyone in the United States that is interested in getting a PCB for the adapter to avoid the fabrication time, feel free to PM me! (You’ll have to assemble it yourself though.)

Last edited:

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Very much the same here.

I can't seem to find the instructions for the soldering connections on the GitHub. I probably just missed something but is it by chance under a different file type?
The instructions should be under the fabrication files release and would detail how you can put it together. If it’s not there, let me know and I can probably rewrite and add it back.

There’s two ways of going about it, one is soldering the wireless card to the adapter PCB and another method is to apply even solder to the adapter PCB and tape the wireless card to it. Both methods work, with the latter being easier if you lack the necessary tools or experience.

The flex cable connector can be soldered on via heat gun or soldering iron. It’s recommended to put the connector on last if you’re using a heat gun to solder the wireless card on, as that will melt the flex cable connector.

George Colgrove

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
I purchased the Intriguing Industries adapter and their recommended card for best performance off Amazon - total price of about $60. It took some work to fit the card in place. I modified the instructions a little in how to gut the bracket. I wanted to keep the card attached to the speaker. I used a M.2 mounting screw and stud to keep the card in place at the other end. Since the Bluetooth antenna is no longer needed and the fit was tight, I removed the Bluetooth antenna. I worked the camera cable and the longer wifi cable (J0) under the wifi card. I was able to tuck the J1 and J2 cables in the cavity in the corner. In the picture attached you can see the old and new setups. The new card was recognized. I now have ac wifi and watch unlock. This was a fun project. More pics of the work are available if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0459.jpeg
    IMG_0459.jpeg
    819.7 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 432
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.48.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.48.17 AM.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 423

izajasz

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Hi guys. I am new to this forum but the topic intrigued me. I am a happy owner of macbook air A1466 Early 2015 and I was wondering if any of You have successfully swappend the original wifi card with something that supports ax speeds (wifi 6). I' ve just ordered this https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/4000246432872.html to do some testing on my own but maybe somebody have already tried this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.