Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I'm going to add another comment here b/c both uwotm8 and schnitzel-pretzel were responding to comments by two different people - myself and teknikal90. So some of my responses might've done the same - lumped a couple of people together unnecessarily.

My only point was not to say anybody was wrong about over-sharpening or too much HDR, but was simply to point out that there are trade-offs and one way isn't necessarily wrong or better than another all the time. I definitely don't disagree that more control is better, either.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I mean, you guys complain about people willing to defend Apple to a fault or make excuses for them, but you're not willing to give an inch from your side.

I'm not willing to defend Apple to a fault, but I'm willing to recognize that there's some balance in the middle here. Do they over-sharpen? Absolutely. But is that always wrong? No. Would it be nice if they could give a little more control over that? Sure. If you don't like it, keep sending in feedback and change phones until they do what you want them to do.

Not willing to give an inch? I literally JUST WANT A DAMN SHARPENING SLIDER. That's not so much to ask for. What the compromise is there to be made? What inch should I give? Your comment is basically an argument for why that should be a feature that exists to begin with. There are tradeoffs... So let me pick what tradeoffs to make.

I have sent in feedback. They clearly do not care one tiny bit. If I wasn't buried in Apple's ecosystem I would leave in a heartbeat since they've clearly decided end users are too stupid to be trusted with very basic camera configuration settings.

Edit: Also, my point was that these tradeoffs are not really the way you think they are. The sign is more detailed in that photo the other person posted because of a better sensor gathering more light. Not because of more sharpening.

I could have BOTH the detailed sign AND the lack of sharpening if Apple allowed it. I know that, because I can get that by using Burst mode on the 15 Pro. But then I don't get a live photo.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
The iPhone 15Pro is worlds better then my old iPhone 11Pro better battery better camera better processor.
As one would expect from Apple a quality upgrade for a phone/camera.
The more you use your new 15Pro the more you understand it's a better phone then your old 11Pro.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Probably a faulty unit.

From the 11 to the 15 it's another universe altogether, photography-wise

I agree. I just took a picture with my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

And the iPhone 15 Pro Max is way more accurate. It is easily noticeable in the colours as the colours on the iPhone 15 Pro Max are much closer to real life.

Didn’t Apple shoot their latest keynote on the iPhone 15 Pro Max also? The camera’s are good enough even for Pro use. Most people didn’t know that it was shot on the iPhone 15 Pro Max until Apple said it after the Keynote.

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Lol always so pointless having some of these debates. As if I haven't gone to 5 different stores and tried 7 different iPhone 15 Pros, comparing them to my previous iPhones. The 15 Pro colors are way oversaturated and contrast way too enhanced, and the sharpening cannot be debated with (it's been posted with examples in this thread).

As far as the keynote being shot in the 15 Pro -- yeah, that is for video. And that is because Apple added ProRes Log. That is completely unprocessed, no sharpening applied, that is then professionally color graded. This video talks about it and demonstrates the difference.

The standard video shooting modes remain highly sharpened. So this is the equivalent of talking about normal iPhone photos versus ProRAW or RAW.

Reactions: Fozamo

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Lol always so pointless having some of these debates. As if I haven't gone to 5 different stores and tried 7 different iPhone 15 Pros, comparing them to my previous iPhones. The 15 Pro colors are way oversaturated and contrast way too enhanced, and the sharpening cannot be debated with (it's been posted with examples in this thread).

As far as the keynote being shot in the 15 Pro -- yeah, that is for video. And that is because Apple added ProRes Log. That is completely unprocessed, no sharpening applied, that is then professionally color graded. This video talks about it and demonstrates the difference.

The standard video shooting modes remain highly sharpened. So this is the equivalent of talking about normal iPhone photos versus ProRAW or RAW.

So you do not even own an iPhone 15 Pro?

I have taken a picture of the same room in my house today with both the iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 15 Pro Max and it is actually the iPhone 11 Pro Max that is too saturated when compared to the actual real life room. The colours of the iPhone 15 Pro Max was much closer to real life.

With the iPhone 11 Pro Max, you will need to do a lot more colour correction to get it to real life colours.

And I own both these phones myself.

But I guess this sums it up, some dude who doesn’t even own a phone, yet claims he knows everything about it.

And the keynote is just an example there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 15 Pro Max. If you don’t like the AI, you can always override it and do it yourself.

Last edited:

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

There's no real debate here. You have your perspective and nobody else can have one that differs.

You're going to tell people that the iPhone 15 Pro, which they own, never matches what their eyes see in real life? And that the 11 Pro never did that? C'mon man. Your original point - wanting more control over HDR and sharpening - was fine (and a great suggestion).

But now you're just digging in on something that is not only subjective at times, but also just flat out wrong at times as well. Sure, the 15 Pro can over-saturate. It can also look exactly accurate at times as well. That's why it's computational - sometimes the software gets it right, sometimes it doesn't. The 11 Pro wasn't perfect all the time either.

Last edited:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hahaha. Ok I am the OP from that thread. This is hilarious. There are halos everywhere, I did not pick and choose. And now that I know people are claiming BS I am going to post a multitude more examples, some from that very photo.

The “black line” on the white trim of the building was a shadow that was there in real life. The 15 Pro simply used AI to try to evenly light that building. The X got the colors and shadows right. So nice try but no.

The halos aren’t subtle, I don’t even know how someone can say that haha. I am excited to post more examples here to see if you keep saying this.

The phone was using autofocus. Lol at saying my thread “ignores” the sign. Idgaf about that, I wanted to point out the HDR effect that I can’t turn off.

Now let me go pull up those photos again so I can post more examples. This is funny to me the lengths some of you will go to to defend Apple lol.

“hey I find this HDR overdone, wish I could turn it off”

”why are you ignoring the sign that’s clearer”

just lmao
I dunno what you're trying to argue here. that the X camera is somehow better than the 15 pro? I can't relate. I had the X, Xs, 12 pro, 13 mini and now the 15 pro and the way the 15 pro renders images with colours and dynamic range and sharpness is beyond anything ive ever used on a smartphone. try putting it into lightroom, it's absolute night and day. but your mileage may vary i guess.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
So you do not even own an iPhone 15 Pro?

I have taken a picture of the same room in my house today with both the iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 15 Pro Max and it is actually the iPhone 11 Pro Max that is too saturated when compared to the actual real life room. The colours of the iPhone 15 Pro Max was much closer to real life.

With the iPhone 11 Pro Max, you will need to do a lot more colour correction to get it to real life colours.

And I own both these phones myself.

But I guess this sums it up, some dude who doesn’t even own a phone, yet claims he knows everything about it.

And the keynote is just an example there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 15 Pro Max. If you don’t like the AI, you can always override it and do it yourself.

If you actually read what I said, it would be clear that I did own an iPhone 15 Pro, before returning it, after having owned an iPhone 14 Pro, before returning it. After extensively testing the cameras. And I still have all those photos saved.

I do not care if you think the colors are more accurate. That's your opinion. My literal only complaint is that I cannot turn off this processing without using RAW.

"If you don’t like the AI, you can always override it and do it yourself." -- No I can't, not without using RAW which means I don't get a live photo.

My entire point has always been, and will always be, that the difference in processing should be optional. Clearly most people like it, I am not stupid enough to think that my opinion is the majority opinion. But it's inexcusable for me to be unable to tune these parameters without losing major features.

There's no real debate here. You have your perspective and nobody else can have one that differs.

I have explicitly said now four different times that the processing preferences are just that -- preferences and are entirely subjective. When I said the sharpening cannot be debated with -- I am referring to the fact that it's being sharpened. I'm not saying nobody can debate whether or not they prefer a sharpened photo. I'm saying they cannot feasibly debate the fact that the photos are artificially sharpened. To debate that would be ridiculous.

You're going to tell people that the iPhone 15 Pro, which they own, never matches what their eyes see in real life? And that the 11 Pro never did that?

No, I am not going to tell people that, but I strongly suspect you and others in this thread will continue to read into my comments things that are not actually there, such as "my opinion about the 15 Pro camera is valid and yours is not", instead of reading my actual words which repeatedly and explicitly state that all I want is to be able to control this processing -- which is in and of itself an admission that it is subjective. If there were an objective "right" way to process a photo then customization would not be necessary.

I don't know why you insist on acting like I am saying things I am not but I do not plan to respond to any more nonsense like that. I'll repeat it one last time for those who seem to still be confused: I simply want to be able to control the amount of sharpening and contrast done to my photos, because more is being done than used to be done, and I prefer the older way. What I think is not debatable is the fact that more processing is being done than 6 years ago.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
No, I am not going to tell people that, but I strongly suspect you and others in this thread will continue to read into my comments things that are not actually there, such as "my opinion about the 15 Pro camera is valid and yours is not", instead of reading my actual words which repeatedly and explicitly state that all I want is to be able to control this processing -- which is in and of itself an admission that it is subjective. If there were an objective "right" way to process a photo then customization would not be necessary.

I don't know why you insist on acting like I am saying things I am not but I do not plan to respond to any more nonsense like that. I'll repeat it one last time for those who seem to still be confused: I simply want to be able to control the amount of sharpening and contrast done to my photos, because more is being done than used to be done, and I prefer the older way. What I think is not debatable is the fact that more processing is being done than 6 years ago.

It's hard not to read into your comments when you say things like:

You're agreeing that some of this is subjective, but then being extremely dogmatic in everything you state. If we're reading too much into that, then apologies - but maybe examine a bit how you're communicating as well.

I'll resign to the fact that we DO agree on more control being a better thing... and if we ever met in real life we'd probably enjoy a beer together without any crazy arguments over phone cameras. ;)

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
It's hard not to read into your comments when you say things like:

You're agreeing that some of this is subjective, but then being extremely dogmatic in everything you state. If we're reading too much into that, then apologies - but maybe examine a bit how you're communicating as well.

I'll resign to the fact that we DO agree on more control being a better thing... and if we ever met in real life we'd probably enjoy a beer together without any crazy arguments over phone cameras. ;)

?

Neither of those comments you linked present the argument that my processing preferences mean you can't have your own. In fact the second one you linked explicitly states that these are subjective preferences and other people like the things that I don't:

Preference is subjective and so the idea that someone may prefer the over sharpened look doesn't lead to the logical conclusion that it's not a problem for other people. Try to consider that many people use these phones and so your preference regarding photos is not relevant to the discussion about whether or not I should be able to turn it off. I don't like it, you do.

So I'd say again I've been pretty clear in my complaints. The only thing I've said is objectively true and inarguable is that there is digital sharpening and it leads to halos.

Arguing in a dogmatic fashion that I should have control over this and arguing passionately that the sharpening is a problem for me might come off as a claim that nobody else is allowed to like the photos that are in my opinion over-sharpened, but it's simply not what I'm saying.

and if we ever met in real life we'd probably enjoy a beer together without any crazy arguments over phone cameras.

Probably, the internet just isn't the best medium. My communication style is very precise and objective, I mean what I say and not anything more. I think this throws people off because it's not super typical. I can see how someone arguing the things I've argued might often be actually meaning "your photo preferences are wrong and mine are right". But I mean exactly what I say and nothing more.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Not willing to give an inch? I literally JUST WANT A DAMN SHARPENING SLIDER. That's not so much to ask for. What the compromise is there to be made? What inch should I give? Your comment is basically an argument for why that should be a feature that exists to begin with. There are tradeoffs... So let me pick what tradeoffs to make.

I have sent in feedback. They clearly do not care one tiny bit. If I wasn't buried in Apple's ecosystem I would leave in a heartbeat since they've clearly decided end users are too stupid to be trusted with very basic camera configuration settings.

Edit: Also, my point was that these tradeoffs are not really the way you think they are. The sign is more detailed in that photo the other person posted because of a better sensor gathering more light. Not because of more sharpening.

I could have BOTH the detailed sign AND the lack of sharpening if Apple allowed it. I know that, because I can get that by using Burst mode on the 15 Pro. But then I don't get a live photo.
Excuse my comment as I am not very technical but is there not a sharpening as well as a bunch of other adjustable parameters when you edit a photo on iPhone ?

Mrkymrk99

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I think I had a really special 11 Pro. My battery health was 91%, after 4 years of heavy use. It made some fantastic pictures. It was the perfect size, for me. But it was starting to show its age, it was slow or freezing up sometimes (maybe due to iOS 17) and I was constantly low on storage (it was 64 GB).
So I bit the bullet and upgraded to the 15 Pro.

There are a few positives, definitely: the larger storage, the 120Hz screen, and the CPU/RAM increases which are noticeable. The speaker is louder (yey!). Oh, and props to USB-C, finally.

But other than that, I'm surprised to find that:
- the camera is a mess. Ok, the ultrawide is better, but the rest of them are very hit and miss, and overall worse than the 11 Pro. There is a kind of processing that happens after I take the picture that dramatically modifies the final result from the preview. I cannot turn HDR off. The skin tones especially are way off, with a gray/blue tint that I can't get rid of. The lighting overall is altered, the colours modified, the shadows are murdered, I even made side by side comparisons with the 11 Pro in my home under different lighting/shade conditions. It just changes the pictures so much and there's nothing I can do about it. The focusing distance for both the main camera and the zoom have increased, up to a point where I need to adjust distance sometimes, something which had never happened on the 11. This also creates some kind of weird perspective shift between the cameras, especially when trying to use the zoom lens at closer range. Even the selfie camera is worse, the skin just looks horrible now. (To account for display differences, for comparison purposes the pictures were transfered to a neutral display, my 5k iMac)
- there is a gigantic camera bulge on the back for no reason. Like, seriously, this thing takes worse pictures with all its huge sensors and lenses
- the battery life is marginally better, if at all
- the hand feel is... meh. As I said, the 11 Pro was the perfect size, and the straight edges are making this one harder to hold comfortably
- the screen itself is worse quality. Looking at them side by side at similar brightness levels, the 11 Pro is just a tiny bit richer, warmer and more vivid, while the 15 Pro is a bit washed out.. like when you turn on gamma correction too much on a display.

So overall, 4 years later, I was very surprised that some the most important aspects of the phone are kinda worse. And since photography is very important for me, I'm actually debating whether I should keep the new one or try to live one more year with the old 11 Pro.

Rant over :)
Is anyone else in the same boat, or am I crazy?

Mrkymrk99

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I think I had a really special 11 Pro. My battery health was 91%, after 4 years of heavy use. It made some fantastic pictures. It was the perfect size, for me. But it was starting to show its age, it was slow or freezing up sometimes (maybe due to iOS 17) and I was constantly low on storage (it was 64 GB).
So I bit the bullet and upgraded to the 15 Pro.

There are a few positives, definitely: the larger storage, the 120Hz screen, and the CPU/RAM increases which are noticeable. The speaker is louder (yey!). Oh, and props to USB-C, finally.

But other than that, I'm surprised to find that:
- the camera is a mess. Ok, the ultrawide is better, but the rest of them are very hit and miss, and overall worse than the 11 Pro. There is a kind of processing that happens after I take the picture that dramatically modifies the final result from the preview. I cannot turn HDR off. The skin tones especially are way off, with a gray/blue tint that I can't get rid of. The lighting overall is altered, the colours modified, the shadows are murdered, I even made side by side comparisons with the 11 Pro in my home under different lighting/shade conditions. It just changes the pictures so much and there's nothing I can do about it. The focusing distance for both the main camera and the zoom have increased, up to a point where I need to adjust distance sometimes, something which had never happened on the 11. This also creates some kind of weird perspective shift between the cameras, especially when trying to use the zoom lens at closer range. Even the selfie camera is worse, the skin just looks horrible now. (To account for display differences, for comparison purposes the pictures were transfered to a neutral display, my 5k iMac)
- there is a gigantic camera bulge on the back for no reason. Like, seriously, this thing takes worse pictures with all its huge sensors and lenses
- the battery life is marginally better, if at all
- the hand feel is... meh. As I said, the 11 Pro was the perfect size, and the straight edges are making this one harder to hold comfortably
- the screen itself is worse quality. Looking at them side by side at similar brightness levels, the 11 Pro is just a tiny bit richer, warmer and more vivid, while the 15 Pro is a bit washed out.. like when you turn on gamma correction too much on a display.

So overall, 4 years later, I was very surprised that some the most important aspects of the phone are kinda worse. And since photography is very important for me, I'm actually debating whether I should keep the new one or try to live one more year with the old 11 Pro.

Rant over :)
Is anyone else in the same boat, or am I crazy?
You’re crazy

louis^

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
Feel u schnitzel. I do miss that toggle from my old xs to turn off smart hdr.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Excuse my comment as I am not very technical but is there not a sharpening as well as a bunch of other adjustable parameters when you edit a photo on iPhone ?

No problem, it's confusing to a lot of people.

The sharpening slider when you edit a photo is already set at 0. It only lets you add additional sharpening if you want. The sharpening I am angry about is already baked into the photo HEIC and cannot be undone, it is a "destructive" edit, as it's called in photography.

The camera pipeline is applying things sharpening before you even edit the photo.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I dunno what you're trying to argue here. that the X camera is somehow better than the 15 pro? I can't relate. I had the X, Xs, 12 pro, 13 mini and now the 15 pro and the way the 15 pro renders images with colours and dynamic range and sharpness is beyond anything ive ever used on a smartphone. try putting it into lightroom, it's absolute night and day. but your mileage may vary i guess.
It’s far too exaggerated to say that the iPhone X camera is better than that of the 15 Pro.
Because it’s not. The camera on the X was quite bad. The 11 was much better.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

The sharpening slider when you edit a photo is already set at 0. It only lets you add additional sharpening if you want. The sharpening I am angry about is already baked into the photo HEIC and cannot be undone, it is a "destructive" edit, as it's called in photography.

The camera pipeline is applying things sharpening before you even edit the photo.

That is not true at all. Just use 3rd party apps and do all the processing yourself if you are not happy with the AI. It's simple.

Apple did the same thing when they shot a professional keynote using the iPhone 15 Pro Max and did all the post-processing on Mac.

Btw, why are you not angry about expensive high-end camera's which doesn't even have an AI and always require photo editing software?

Last edited:

Jonnod III

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004

Any image from a camera that is not RAW has “destructive” edits.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
I had a particular soft-spot for both my X and then 11 Pro Max & by comparison was then underwhelmed by 12 Pro camera (and battery) in particular, and agree with all the 'over-processed since' comments for 12 / 13 / 14 / 15.

It's not 'bad' per se, but each time taking a picture & then flicking across to Photos & waiting for it to process has me holding my breath and very often a little disappointed with the final result.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Just use 3rd party apps and do all the processing yourself if you are not happy with the AI. It's simple.

Lmao "stop asking for Apple to just give you a simple and intuitive way to get processed photos you like, which you already have with your 6 year old iPhone -- instead, download and pay for a third party camera app, and individually process each and every one of your thousands of photos you take per year, while losing out on Live Photos -- it's simple"

Now you're citing a YouTuber to claim the 15 Pro camera is the best -- a YouTuber who, by the way, also made this video talking precisely about unnatural looking camera processing on the iPhone... Just stop, lmao.

Apple did the same thing when they shot a professional keynote using the iPhone 15 Pro Max and did all the post-processing on Mac.

Oh okay cool, well when you hire me a team of talented video and photo professional editors who are fine spending hundreds of hours to make my videos and photos look the way that I want, give me a call. Until then, I'll continue to ask for a way to easily get photos I like straight out of the camera, like I can with my ****ing iPhone from 2018.

I genuinely can't even believe you just made this argument. It should be intuitive to you why an argument that amounts to "just spend hundreds of hours of your time each year to correct thousands of photos you take" isn't a good one.

Btw, why are you not angry about expensive high-end camera's which doesn't even have an AI and always require photo editing software?

1. You don't know what you're talking about, that becomes clearer with every sentence you write. High end cameras absolutely do have built in automatic processing. A Canon R3 that costs many thousands can and will give you a processed JPEG straight out of the camera if you want it to. You can also take the RAW files and edit them, but you have the option of getting a pre-processed photo if you want. It does not "always require photo editing software".
  2. Even if that weren't true, this is entirely a whataboutism and it's unrelated to my complaint whatsoever. I am not a professional photographer (hence my lack of desire to "edit every photo myself", as you claimed I should) and literally only want my smartphone to do less sharpening of my photos. That does not seem like a lot to ask. This is like if I was complaining about Toyota removing the manual transmission option on a car and you said "why aren't you mad about race cars having automatic transmissions then"

Any image from a camera that is not RAW has “destructive” edits.

Right, that is exactly my point. Which is why it's very important to give the user control over the pipeline that makes those edits, precisely because they cannot be changed after the fact. Whether it's your iPhone or your Canon, if the camera digitally sharpens the photo more than you like and spits out a JPEG, you are toast. You cannot back out that editing.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Where is this feature on my iPhone 11 Pro Max that you talk about? I don't see it.

On Mac, do you also only rely on the stock apps that Apple provides and then say Mac sucks based on the stock apps?

I don't get how you are angry about a phone you don't even own and are too lazy to simply use a 3rd party app. It's incredible.

Well, MKBHD atleast has the iPhone 15 Pro and other Android phones so he is better informed when he says it has the best camera on a smartphone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.