Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backbraker25

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
hate to be a d!ck but hes right. You shouldn't even have access if you are not a developer and you obviously knew that when you d/l it. I dont understand why people insist on doing this stuff knowing full well the consequences without researching first how to fix it if it fails - which of course it likely will.

Anyway, preaching is not going to cure the stupidity (and im not calling you stupid im saying you did a stupid thing knowingly vs innocently.)

That said, try using redsn0w to install a jailbreak version of 4.2.1 - I have found this can work to get you on 4.2.1 and rid of that message and then you can do a normal restore.

Than don't be...

I am a registered developer but have had my iPad locked also, how do i register it to unlock it , do i need the UDID number? But i cant that number when the iPad is locked!

Any suggestions on how to go back to 4.2?

Thanks

I am assuming you're on a Mac given i don't know how to get this from Windows... Make sure your iPad is plugged in to your Mac via usb (of course) than go to 'About this Mac' (The apple icon on the upper right Menu Bar) > Click on the 'More Info...' tab > on the left hand side under 'Contents' select 'USB' > On the right side you'll have 'USB Device Tree' > Select the iPad under 'USB High-Speed Bus' and your UDID will be the fourth option in the Serial Number column (even though it's listed under Serial Number... it's your UDID)

Backbraker did he get you added yet?

Yes he did however, he will only register me tomorrow (Jan 14th) given the whole vacation thing.

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I would think so. It would make sense you could because it is tied to the provisioning profile they can generate. Shoot me a message if you are thinking about doing that.

Last edited:

Applenewstoday

macrumors regular
Am I the only one who tried to upgrade, failed, and succeeded to downgrade to iOS 4.2.1 with no issues? I just put it in DFU mode, restored it, and I have everything I had in the backup I made before I tried to update to 4.3. Im not a dev, but I am going to register probably today. I never had this problem with iOS 4.2 betas. Huh, oh well, Ill just wait til I have a UDID.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Am I the only one who tried to upgrade, failed, and succeeded to downgrade to iOS 4.2.1 with no issues? I just put it in DFU mode, restored it, and I have everything I had in the backup I made before I tried to update to 4.3. Im not a dev, but I am going to register probably today. I never had this problem with iOS 4.2 betas. Huh, oh well, Ill just wait til I have a UDID.

I didn't even have to put it into DFU. Just click shift-restore, pick firmware, and when the iPad ends up in recovery mode, use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery.

But it does seem like Apple made some changes to make it harder for people to load iOS betas without registering their UDID. Oh, well. I'll just be waiting for the official release, I suppose.

LIV2

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
I've been trying all day to get it to load a custom ramdisk to block the attempted baseband update when downgrading to 4.2.1 maybe someone else can figure it out

It looks like I'm sticking with ios 4.3 for now

BTW you can activate the gestures by clicking on "use as a development device" in XCode, don't bother entering the login details for your dev account when it asks and then restart the settings app.

LIV2

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't even have to put it into DFU. Just click shift-restore, pick firmware, and when the iPad ends up in recovery mode, use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery.

Nope, the 3G models cannot be downgraded to 4.2.1, if you kick it out of recovery it goes right back

The reason is that 4.2.1 does a version check on the Baseband, which has been updated by the 4.3 update.

rukiiii

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Long time reader, first time poster and first time idiot (see below).
I have done the exact same thing as in the top post. I have a Ipad 3G 32 gb. I tried to update to the newest 4.3 beta, beacuse it worked fine when I did the same thing with the 4.2 beta's. This time I got the message, that my device is not registered etc etc. This is of course true because I am not a developer and the UDID of my ipad is not registered anywhere. I have tried various ways of downgrading to 4.2 but nothing helps. I cant kick it out of recovery mode with any of the online tools suggested in this thread or in other threads i have found else where.

Is it in any way possible to get my UDID registered so I at least can get my ipad working on 4.3 (which it installs with no problem). I will gladly pay a small fee for the service, if needed, because I just want my ipad working again.

any suggestions and help is highly appreciated.

all the best.

rukiii

jim.bright17

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Alberta
Long time reader, first time poster and first time idiot (see below).
I have done the exact same thing as in the top post. I have a Ipad 3G 32 gb. I tried to update to the newest 4.3 beta, beacuse it worked fine when I did the same thing with the 4.2 beta's. This time I got the message, that my device is not registered etc etc. This is of course true because I am not a developer and the UDID of my ipad is not registered anywhere. I have tried various ways of downgrading to 4.2 but nothing helps. I cant kick it out of recovery mode with any of the online tools suggested in this thread or in other threads i have found else where.

Is it in any way possible to get my UDID registered so I at least can get my ipad working on 4.3 (which it installs with no problem). I will gladly pay a small fee for the service, if needed, because I just want my ipad working again.

any suggestions and help is highly appreciated.

all the best.

rukiii

Figured this out last night, when you option+restore and iTunes pops up saying you aren't a registered developer that's good, you're on your way to installing 4.3b, next what you'll want to do is download redsnow 0.9.6rc8 and create custom firmware of 4.2.1, put your iPad in dfu mode by holding power+home for 10 seconds, then release power and continue holding home for 20ish, screen should be black, then continue jailbreaking in redsnow. Once that is done all you should see is a small white box in the top right corner of your screen, also a good thing. Restard the ipad by holding power for a few seconds. Next you'll need disk aid(Mac) or ifunbox(pc), you want to navigate to root/system/library/coreservices and find systemversion.plist file, open it with notepad or TextEdit, then remove <key>ReleaseType</key> <string>Beta</string>, after you are done with that you'll need to reboot your iPad, then open iTunes to activate, if you want to use the multitouch gestures you'll need to install Xcode and set iPad as "use for development" don't worry if it asks for a username, it's not needed. That should be all. Let me know if you have problems, be happy to help! Spent a few hours trying to get this to work

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I would rather spend the few dollars and get someone to register the UDID then have to go through that much hassle.

rukiiii

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Thank you very much for your suggestion jim, it is highly appreciated and if it works you have figured something out that a lot of other ppl could benefit from. Which is kinda cool.
That being said, I think I will go with the option to pay for getting my UDID registered. If no one jumps on that offer, i will try your method out for sure. I am not scared by the amount of work, but I really like the idea that I will be able to install beta versions in the future with out all the fuzz.

So if anyone is up for helping me register my ipad I will gladly pay for the service.

Ikyo are you game?

all the best

Rukiii

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Send me an mail for more info if anyone wants to try out the beta - I have a few places left in my developer account. Smaller fee than on imodzone.

Rabbit67890

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
I was also stupid enoguh to do that also, because I kinda remebered how to do it with 4.2, but now im stuck on 4.3 like him and i need a UUID activation to get out and possibly so i can make apps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.