Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Finally, I have two more questions:

1. Some of you recommend to optimize the power consumption of the new SSD by kernel extension with the ssdPmEnabler or NVMeFix. After leaving my MacBook in sleep mode overnight, the battery dropped from 100% to 69%. The battery health was already pretty bad before the SSD replacement anyway. My question now is does it make sense to install one of the two patches and if so, which one is better? And do the functionality of both extensions differ?

If the battery health was significantly degraded (~60-75% of original) a significant drop of that nature does not surprise me (replacing it may not be a bad idea)

Adding those kexts in may help somewhat with power management, but you may need a bootloader for some of them (OCLP should have an option for that; it should detect your hardware upon install)
2. Does anyone have experience with the recovery of old supposedly dead MacOS SSD? As described in the previous post, mine died and is not recognized by MacOS, Linux, or Windows by default (using the respective drivers if necessary). I had ordered two different SSD enclosers for the Apple interface. Unfortunately, one of the two could not even recognize the new WD SSD with adapter.

Thanks in advance! :)
If there is crucial data on that drive I would advise you to speak with a professional (this is outside of the scope of this thread)

Reactions: bolli

BenPratt

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
Mid-2015 15" Macbook pro. I have a Timetec 1TB SSD in it and it causes the computer to slow down and overheat, and use up the battery quickly. I don't care how fast it is. I just need a reliable 1TB SSD that will work well. Can someone who knows what they are talking about please give me a good recommendation for currently available one?
I've already spent far too much time researching and dealing with this issue, and I would really rather not read all 479 pages of this thread. Thank you!
I wish I had kept the original apple SSD that it came with but it is long gone : (

BenPratt

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
will the WD Blue SN580 work as well as the SN570 people are recommending here? The 570 is o longer available. Speed is not my most important criteria. Just want it to be stable, run cool, and not use the batter too quickly.

htcmda

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
will the WD Blue SN580 work as well as the SN570 people are recommending here? The 570 is o longer available. Speed is not my most important criteria. Just want it to be stable, run cool, and not use the batter too quickly.
I personally have the SK Hynix P31 Gold (2TB version), several others use this nvme drive as well.
I've never even heard of a brand called Timetec.

bolli

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
Yes, for my MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 (A1502, DMC2835) the SN580 works well. Had the same problem, that many of the recommended SSDs were not available at my country, so i went with the SN580. So far it runs reliably and not too hot. It also doesn't seem to me to be very energy-intensive. Another post mentioned that the SN580 is very power efficient. Some other people in this thread also report positively on the use of the SN580. You can also use the search icon at the top of the page to search the thread for keywords to find the relevant posts.

Last edited:

platinumestates

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
Question, if my ssd is corrupt and it has to be replaced, and this I can't even load ANY OS at any point, when I replace the SSD and I boot it up, can I turn on internet recovery mode?

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Question, if my ssd is corrupt and it has to be replaced, and this I can't even load ANY OS at any point, when I replace the SSD and I boot it up, can I turn on internet recovery mode?
Internet recovery will only use the OS the computer came with (in lieu of having any system).

Problem is you won’t get NVME support (that was only added with 10.13/14 for most of the machines).

So you likely will have to recover from a bootable disk..

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Internet recovery will only use the OS the computer came with (in lieu of having any system).

Problem is you won’t get NVME support (that was only added with 10.13/14 for most of the machines).

It is possible to use internet recovery to install the version of MacOS that it came with but it's also possible to install the latest version compatible with your particular Mac.

• Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.
  • Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.
  • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.

Reactions: darkskies

platinumestates

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
It is possible to use internet recovery to install the version of MacOS that it came with but it's also possible to install the latest version compatible with your particular Mac.

• Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.
  • Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.
  • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.

So, in theory, if the internet recovery does work, and I CAN install Monterey from scratch, it should work? Even if I start with the Catalina, I can upgrade to Monterey and then the NVME will work? What is the NVME for?

tiesbakker

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
Hello, I Hope you can help me as well as you helped everyone who has gone before.

I have swapped the broken ssd from my friends Macbook Pro 12,1 (13 inch, early 2015). Using a NVME adapter (Link to aliexpress) and a Samsung 980 SSD. The SSD was installed succesfully, but i cannot get the ssd show in the recovery enviroment.

I am able to detect the ssd, format it, read/write to it, and benchmark it etc., but it does not show up in the recovery enviroment. The drive also shows up in disk utility as a pci-express drive, and samsungmagician shows a pcie gen 2x4 connection, and no availible firmware updates.

I have tried formatting the drive to APFS and mac os extended (journaled), both GUID. Both with the same result.

I have tried to find similar post with this thread, but I have not found a solution among them (though I must admit i have not read all 479 pages).

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks very much in advance.

Supplemental data:
The SSD firmware is: 4B4QFXO7
The Macos version is: 10.13.6
The boot rom version is: 188.0.0.0.0
The SMC version is: 2.28f7
disk speed: 1512 mb/s read, 1462 mb/s write

Some context: I created an external ssd to troubleshoot the macbook, as i got it after an incident involving lemonade. The macbook seems to be in complete working order. Likely due to this issue, i can only boot of the network recovery system.

tiesbakker

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
Hello, I Hope you can help me as well as you helped everyone who has gone before.

I have swapped the broken ssd from my friends Macbook Pro 12,1 (13 inch, early 2015). Using a NVME adapter (Link to aliexpress) and a Samsung 980 SSD. The SSD was installed succesfully, but i cannot get the ssd show in the recovery enviroment.

I am able to detect the ssd, format it, read/write to it, and benchmark it etc., but it does not show up in the recovery enviroment. The drive also shows up in disk utility as a pci-express drive, and samsungmagician shows a pcie gen 2x4 connection, and no availible firmware updates.

I have tried formatting the drive to APFS and mac os extended (journaled), both GUID. Both with the same result.

I have tried to find similar post with this thread, but I have not found a solution among them (though I must admit i have not read all 479 pages).

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks very much in advance.

Supplemental data:
The SSD firmware is: 4B4QFXO7
The Macos version is: 10.13.6
The boot rom version is: 188.0.0.0.0
The SMC version is: 2.28f7
disk speed: 1512 mb/s read, 1462 mb/s write

Some context: I created an external ssd to troubleshoot the macbook, as i got it after an incident involving lemonade. The macbook seems to be in complete working order. Likely due to this issue, i can only boot of the network recovery system.
Hello Everyone,

Short update: I am an idiot. Intalling from internet recovery loads the recovery envoriment that was originally shiped with (Yosemite). this obiviously does not have the NVME drivers required to read the new NVME drive.
I ook the usb stick i also used for installing the external hard drive, and the disk showed right up

Thanks for all the info in the form that made me come to this realisation.

Reactions: htcmda

chayden

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2024
You can certainly do that (you can either make a bootable backup using CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper! or some other imaging tool, or use an an external enclosure for the original drive & Migration Assistant to restore the partitions into a fresh image)

Should be able to do that as well (machine natively supports UEFI booting so you should be able to restore that to a prepared partition)
Good news. I have successfully upgraded my laptop. The performance improved significantly. Before in black and after in white
1712942381055.png

1712943172123.png

platinumestates

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
I have loaded in my SSD, the mac Will start an internet recovery, but it does not yet recognize the SSD. Anyone know how I can get it to do that?

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
I have loaded in my SSD, the mac Will start an internet recovery, but it does not yet recognize the SSD. Anyone know how I can get it to do that?
What machine? (if it’s loading the factory OS it likely does not support NVME booting, you’ll have to go with a later version (10.13 or post 10.13)
What is this stick and how do I get it? I loaded my hard drive but it is not being recognized

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

platinumestates

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
What machine? (if it’s loading the factory OS it likely does not support NVME booting, you’ll have to go with a later version (10.13 or post 10.13)

Hi Natus, yes, the problem is, the OLD SSD, won't load ANY OS, let alone 10.13 or post, the new SSD has already been formatted to APFS, cloned etc, but how can I get a newer OS booted onto my old mac so it can possibly recognize this new SSD?

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Hi Natus, yes, the problem is, the OLD SSD, won't load ANY OS, let alone 10.13 or post, the new SSD has already been formatted to APFS, cloned etc, but how can I get a newer OS booted onto my old mac so it can possibly recognize this new SSD?
Do you not have another machine you can make disk images on? (you should be able to either get someone here to make one or failing that, purchasing a pre-made image is an option)

I’m also wondering if this is a case where the machine needs a native Apple SSD to update the firmware, if that is the problem buying one shouldn’t be an issue (you should be able to get a 128GB for well under 50 from a reputable seller or spares supplier)

platinumestates

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
i've got two different adapters each from different manufacturers, both of them work their magic with sn750 on Ventura as well as Sonoma; none of them works well with sn580 on either OS (crashes after a couple of hours, i couldn't give you the exact steps to reproduce the crash, seems random). IMHO, it has nothing to do with physical connectivity.

yes, i've checked the drive on a Windows pc, the western digital dashboard shows the firmware is already up to date.

temps are fine ranging from 30 to 45 give or take under constant surveillance of MacFanControl

i just leave the OCLP setting as is, the option is checked by default.

thank you for your advice. i got what you mean, it might be too soon to jump to the conclusion and call the sn580 the culprit. since this macbook pro is my daily driver i might as well settle with sn750 and be done with sn580.
Can you share which adapters you have? I have the SN 750 SE, but this one is not working with it.

platinumestates

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
So far, have tested 3 SSD's cause of a scorched earth policy, Don't ask.

Summary, mid 2015 MBP A1398 15 inch with these stats. Basically my Apple SSD was KAPUT, so I only loaded Monterey straight from Internet recovery onto my SSD's using an enclosure after formatting them. No need to have load the OS onto the firmware before changing the SSD internally, in fact I even removed the internal SSD when doing the OS loading so, as long as you have the same computer I do have no fear. Otherwise eh.
IMG_2598.JPG

Crucial P3 with Long Sintech Adapter
IMG_2600.JPG

Had the lowest temperature running so far.....will Test P3+ Tomorrow

WD SN750 SE works ONLY with Long Sintech adapter linked above
IMG_2597.JPG

And the Sabrent I connected with the Short sintech https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08QF7MFB2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details, ran the hottest from the loading in the SSD enclosure to internal.
IMG_2592.JPG

I will be testing the Crucial P3+ and Hynix Gold P31 tomorrow and will settle on a card based on power draw and read write speed. From the look at the moment, it might be the Crucial p3+ but we shall see

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.