Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
So i currently have the iPhone X which has served me well for the last almost 5 years but now i feel like it´s time to upgrade and i´ve had some issues lately with loss of wifi connection, battery drainage etc. so i really need a new one.
So the question now is, do you think it´s worth waiting a few more months until the iPhone 14 comes out or should i get the iPhone 13 already now?

All i know is that i want a bigger 6.7inch display so the Pro Max is what i am interested in. The camera and video quality is of biggest importance to me and i am willing to wait the extra months for the 14 launch if there ´s something indicating already that the 14 will have a noticeably better camera.

Any thoughts?

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I would go ahead and get the 13 PM in your situation. If you keep phones for 5 years, then the relative difference between the 13 and 14 will be small as time passes by. Additionally, rumor is that the 14s will be using the same processor as the 13s.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I personally would never purchase a new iPhone soon after it’s released. They always ship with buggy .0 software.
If you want to be an iOS beta tester, buy a launch day iPhone.

The best (most sane) plan of action regarding iPhone purchasing is buy the newest model sometime in the spring (like around now) when it’s OS is more stable and less buggy, but ideally buy it right AFTER the next iPhone is released to get a bit of a discount.

When a person keeps an iPhone for several years, (like 5) there really isn’t much point in purchasing a launch day phone

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
So i currently have the iPhone X which has served me well for the last almost 5 years but now i feel like it´s time to upgrade and i´ve had some issues lately with loss of wifi connection, battery drainage etc. so i really need a new one.
So the question now is, do you think it´s worth waiting a few more months until the iPhone 14 comes out or should i get the iPhone 13 already now?

All i know is that i want a bigger 6.7inch display so the Pro Max is what i am interested in. The camera and video quality is of biggest importance to me and i am willing to wait the extra months for the 14 launch if there ´s something indicating already that the 14 will have a noticeably better camera.

Any thoughts?
I upgraded to the 13 from the 12 Saturday. Not much difference but battery life will be a huge improvement. Also I think my 12 had display hardware issues.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
I have a similar dilemma. They’ve got good deals on trade ins at the moment and I want the larger display size. I’m driving an XR right now and am debating between waiting for the 14 Max or buying a 13 Pro Max. I’m cheap and don’t need the latest/greatest; I hang onto my phones for a while.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have a similar dilemma. They’ve got good deals on trade ins at the moment and I want the larger display size. I’m driving an XR right now and am debating between waiting for the 14 Max or buying a 13 Pro Max. I’m cheap and don’t need the latest/greatest; I hang onto my phones for a while.
I would just wait for the 14 Max unless you really need a phone right now. Apple will surely discontinue the 13 Pro Max when they release the 14 lineup.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
The 14 will be the 13 with slightly better stats; its not worth waiting if your old phone is falling apart.

Just don't get suckered into buying the Pro model. A 3x telephoto is alleviated by walking closer to your subject and whilst a 90hz refreshrate is a nice thing, you won't miss it if you've never had it. Lidar is only really useful if your line of work is CAD-related.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
My old phone is perfectly fine -all I really want is the larger display which the 14 max will cover. I’ll even have a hard time biting for that.. to me the 13 max pro is not even worth the $400 or so with the trade in.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
That is up to you. For me I would wait until the new one came out. If there wasn’t some killer feature that you wanted, you would be able to still pick up the 13 in September post announcement on the cheap.

Reactions: PeteBurgh

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
its personal choice, if i were you i would wait for the below reasons based on your first post.
i) Its just 5 months away from new phone launch.
ii) Since the current iphone x is running ok and doing its job.
iii) Since you use the phone for 4-5 yrs so its always better to get the latest design and latest camera (rumor is that we get 48MP camera in 14)
iv) There might be max 300$ difference between 13 Pro max and 14 pro max , assuming your next upgrade after 4-5 yrs the 300$ is not much of a difference i feel for that duration (you get a new design , better camera and ofcourse 1 extra year of OS updates)

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
its personal choice, if i were you i would wait for the below reasons based on your first post.
i) Its just 5 months away from new phone launch.
ii) Since the current iphone x is running ok and doing its job.
iii) Since you use the phone for 4-5 yrs so its always better to get the latest design and latest camera (rumor is that we get 48MP camera in 14)
iv) There might be max 300$ difference between 13 Pro max and 14 pro max , assuming your next upgrade after 4-5 yrs the 300$ is not much of a difference i feel for that duration (you get a new design , better camera and ofcourse 1 extra year of OS updates)
Thanks - looks like I'm going to wait. I may even sit on it until the 15 if it looks like they're getting touch-id in that model. If only the iPad mini was just a little bit smaller..... :)

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
If the camera quality is of importance to you - hold out. There's been a decent amount of rumors suggesting that we're getting a major bump to the Pro line this year from 12MP to (possibly) 48MP. If thats true, the picture quality is going to be substantially better. Even if it falls within the 20MP range, it's still going to be a substantial upgrade. We've been stuck at 12MP for quite some time now - so if it's true, it could be worth waiting for.

Slap a battery case on there to get you through. Although I do wonder if your wifi issues have something to do with a battery thats worn out.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
If the camera quality is of importance to you - hold out. There's been a decent amount of rumors suggesting that we're getting a major bump to the Pro line this year from 12MP to (possibly) 48MP. If thats true, the picture quality is going to be substantially better. Even if it falls within the 20MP range, it's still going to be a substantial upgrade. We've been stuck at 12MP for quite some time now - so if it's true, it could be worth waiting for.

Slap a battery case on there to get you through. Although I do wonder if your wifi issues have something to do with a battery thats worn out.
Camera quality really not an issue unless I decide to go pro max. Battery is fine and I got rid of my wifi issues when I got off a mesh AP last year. More companies should play nice with Apple and support the K protocol they use but of course it’s Apple.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
iPhone 14 looks awful, IMO. Pretty much everything there is to know about what's coming is out in the open. If you want an iPhone 13 (Pro) then go for it. I am not interested in the fugly pill/ punch hole design Apple stupidly is throwing out there so I am going to stick with my current 13 Pro for another year.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

Haven't heard any complaints about the current gen cameras. Actually saw several publications give the iPhone 13 Pro their camera of the year award last year. Pixels don't always equal quality.

HDFan

macrumors 604
Jun 30, 2007
The 14 will be the 13 with slightly better stats

We don't really know. Pro models may have A16 chip. Possible satellite SOS capability.

There's been a decent amount of rumors suggesting that we're getting a major bump to the Pro line this year from 12MP to (possibly) 48MP.

Sources reporting this rumor have high (>80%) predictability scores.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I agree … Get the 13 Pro Max or Pro now if it suits your needs op.
Honestly the iPhone X was a big phone but the larger screen of the 13 Pro Max, do you really NEED the larger .6” screen and 2hrs longer battery life over the 13 Pro that already gets a full day of on-screen time?! Is it worth the more expensive $100-400 US asking price over the Pro, not the mention the higher AC+ and warranty repair initial deposits?!

If you can wait until mid-September then the 13 Pro/Pro Max will be an a significant discount on iPhone 14 series launch day but not for much longer as I’m sure Apple will discontinue the entire lineup except the 13 mini for about 6-12mths being the exception (if that).

The 14 will be the 13 with slightly better stats; its not worth waiting if your old phone is falling apart.

Just don't get suckered into buying the Pro model. A 3x telephoto is alleviated by walking closer to your subject and whilst a 90hz refreshrate is a nice thing, you won't miss it if you've never had it. Lidar is only really useful if your line of work is CAD-related.

LiDAR on iPhone has some uses beyond CAD work.
Some in renovations or contruction use it for room measurements, interior decorators use it for AR, and I’ve seen a few people use recommended work-out apps at the gym for proper range of motion during lifts: Bench/Incline Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Side Lateral Raises, Military Press, even those on track & field could use it (to record & track form).

LiDAR for these use cases is MUCH more accessible on the iPhone Pro’s than the iPads.

con500

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009

Any thoughts?
Im waiting to see the 14 release. like you I tend to hold on to my devices 4-5 years and im thinking if the 14 introduces a whole new design language (replacing notch for pill/puch hole) then id Best Buy the model that has a design that is likely to stick around for the coming 5 years. I see no sense buying a 13pro max now if the notch display is beginning its phasing out in a few months with the 14pm.

This and the rumour that a 6.7" 14 max (non pro) could be part of the lineup. Sept looks interesting so im prepared to hold off for now

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I would go ahead and get the 13 PM in your situation. If you keep phones for 5 years, then the relative difference between the 13 and 14 will be small as time passes by. Additionally, rumor is that the 14s will be using the same processor as the 13s.
Rumor says only the non Pro's will be using the A15.. The 14 Pro and Pro Max will get the A16...

Reactions: Mark Stone

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
Yeah but here’s the deal.. they’re willing to give me $700 in trade in for the XR. I know the 14 Max Pro has to be pushing that $1400 level - what with “Supply Chain issues” and inflation. I’m not willing to pay that. I am barely willing to pay the $350 or so to upgrade. Yeah I know about the Max but that’s still going to be a big nut.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I went from an X to a 13 Pro Max and the difference is huge.

The iPhone 14 won’t come out until..what…Oct or November…? Do you really want to continue to deal with your iPhone X issues for another 5+ months?

Late Aug - early Sept is when people should start thinking about waiting for new iPhones, but any other time people should just get what’s available when you need/want the upgrade. There will always be something new and “better” just around the corner in technology.

Apple does a great job with long term support and the iPhone 13 lineup already has more juice than it needs to keep up for another 3-4 years.

At this point we don’t even know what benefits there could be for waiting for the 14. Sure… the rumors give us a decent idea of what to expect. But is there really anything so important that you feel you just have to wait for that version instead of a 13 model?

Reactions: Populus and radiuz

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I was one of the dumb ones who swore I’d keep my 11 Pro Max. Then I lost my jailbreak. So figured why not trade it for $700 off. The 13 Pro Max I got had a good screen and no minor damage.

If you want to wait, wait. If you want to buy, buy. However, I’m the type to get a new device months after first release so I’ve gotten less defects.

Launch day never worked out for me.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
I agree … Get the 13 Pro Max or Pro now if it suits your needs op.
Honestly the iPhone X was a big phone but the larger screen of the 13 Pro Max, do you really NEED the larger .6” screen and 2hrs longer battery life over the 13 Pro that already gets a full day of on-screen time?! Is it worth the more expensive $100-400 US asking price over the Pro, not the mention the higher AC+ and warranty repair initial deposits?!

If you can wait until mid-September then the 13 Pro/Pro Max will be an a significant discount on iPhone 14 series launch day but not for much longer as I’m sure Apple will discontinue the entire lineup except the 13 mini for about 6-12mths being the exception (if that).

LiDAR on iPhone has some uses beyond CAD work.
Some in renovations or contruction use it for room measurements, interior decorators use it for AR, and I’ve seen a few people use recommended work-out apps at the gym for proper range of motion during lifts: Bench/Incline Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Side Lateral Raises, Military Press, even those on track & field could use it (to record & track form).

LiDAR for these use cases is MUCH more accessible on the iPhone Pro’s than the iPads.
LiDAR is great and I use it all the time for all sorts of things.

But for the average Josephine it’s not worth paying more for.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
I was one of the dumb ones who swore I’d keep my 11 Pro Max. Then I lost my jailbreak. So figured why not trade it for $700 off. The 13 Pro Max I got had a good screen and no minor damage.

If you want to wait, wait. If you want to buy, buy. However, I’m the type to get a new device months after first release so I’ve gotten less defects.

Launch day never worked out for me.
Well, that’s it too. Never buy the first year of a new model.. you know you’ll have problems.., especially with Apple

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
"If you want to wait, wait. If you want to buy, buy. "

Quality advice.

I'm probably going to upgrade from my plain 11 to a 13 Pro sometime soon if for no other reason than I'd like to move back to a phone with an available telephoto. Not really stressing it. I remember waiting in line on day 1 to buy an iPhone 6, which is how i used to buy all my phones. But eventually I decided... why? Why am I doing this for a smartphone? Why deal with all that nonsense? I upgrade every 2 to 4 years, at a random point in the cycle, when it's in my budget and availability means I can get the model I want right away. The change from one year to the next is so incremental at this point there's no real reason to make it a priority. Buy when you feel like buying, and enjoy it.

Reactions: Septembersrain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.