Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I recently returned to the fold (having left after the 5s and went to Samsung) and now, Pro Max. I don't see anything spectacular coming our way but continue to look out for

USB C port (we can thank Europe for their pressure on getting this change)
More audio codecs and greater consideration for either lossless or near lossless.
Longer battery life

This translates to I have no issue staying with the Pro Max 13 for at least 2-3 years.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
iPhone 14 looks awful, IMO. Pretty much everything there is to know about what's coming is out in the open. If you want an iPhone 13 (Pro) then go for it. I am not interested in the fugly pill/ punch hole design Apple stupidly is throwing out there so I am going to stick with my current 13 Pro for another year.

I doubt you’d notice much difference at all between a notch and the pill hole design, it’s just a few extra pixels showing, no big deal.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I'm in the same boat — 8-plus was in mint condition, sans battery drain, but then I dropped it the other day and now I've got a cracked screen. Phone is still useable but super annoying.

My dilemma now is whether it's worth paying for the new screen and battery and wait it out for a 14, or just bite the bullet and go for a 13 (maybe 13-pro).

Either model would be a major upgrade. 8-plus has been a solid phone.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I bought a brand new iPhone 13 Pro Max. Didn’t get along with the flickering PWM OLED screen so returned it and bought an Apple refurbished iPhone 8 Plus instead.
In my book, the iPhone 8+ is still the best iPhone they make… and it doesn’t cost much now either.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recently returned to the fold (having left after the 5s and went to Samsung) and now, Pro Max. I don't see anything spectacular coming our way but continue to look out for

USB C port (we can thank Europe for their pressure on getting this change)
More audio codecs and greater consideration for either lossless or near lossless.
Longer battery life

This translates to I have no issue staying with the Pro Max 13 for at least 2-3 years.
Lossless is possible with lightning is it not? The port isn’t limiting codecs is it? Can you show data that backs up your claim on these?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Lossless is possible with lightning is it not? The port isn’t limiting codecs is it? Can you show data that backs up your claim on these?
First, I said greater considersation. As for codecs, it is abundantly clear that the iPhone falls behind some of its Android counterparts. This is both in Bluetooth and wired. AptX-HD in many instances is a better codec for various music files than AAC (for blue tooth). For 24/96 files, - iPhone is not equip to play them (best I recall) directly. Instead, if it can, it will convert* them to perhaps 24/48 which is good but not all conversions are the same in quality. Should we go on? If I want to handle 24/96 files, I would have to plug the phone into an external DAC which is then engaging the headset.

For me, as I said, I would like to see a better take on hi rez/lossless files and that is for wired and blue tooth.

therealMasa

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2021
So i currently have the iPhone X which has served me well for the last almost 5 years but now i feel like it´s time to upgrade and i´ve had some issues lately with loss of wifi connection, battery drainage etc. so i really need a new one.
So the question now is, do you think it´s worth waiting a few more months until the iPhone 14 comes out or should i get the iPhone 13 already now?

All i know is that i want a bigger 6.7inch display so the Pro Max is what i am interested in. The camera and video quality is of biggest importance to me and i am willing to wait the extra months for the 14 launch if there ´s something indicating already that the 14 will have a noticeably better camera.

Any thoughts?
At this point, I would wait and see if the iPhone 14 has any surprises.

If nothing else, you should be able to get the iPhone 13 at a discount.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
So i currently have the iPhone X which has served me well for the last almost 5 years but now i feel like it´s time to upgrade and i´ve had some issues lately with loss of wifi connection, battery drainage etc. so i really need a new one.
So the question now is, do you think it´s worth waiting a few more months until the iPhone 14 comes out or should i get the iPhone 13 already now?

All i know is that i want a bigger 6.7inch display so the Pro Max is what i am interested in. The camera and video quality is of biggest importance to me and i am willing to wait the extra months for the 14 launch if there ´s something indicating already that the 14 will have a noticeably better camera.

Any thoughts?

If you were interested in the 6.1” iPhone 14, I would say: Go ahead, go buy yourself an iPhone 13 PM.

The 14 will be pretty similar to the 13 because they both will use the A15, and I don’t expect big changes aside form 2GB of extra RAM (yeah, the iPhone 14 will probably have 6GB of RAM) . But in the case of the 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max, the changes will be more noticeable: A16 chip, with 6 or maybe even 8GB of RAM, and the cameras will experience the biggest jump in iPhone history ever: From 12MP to 48MP. We’ve been since 2015 with 12MP sensors.

So, in your specific case, I would personally wait. In my case? I just purchased an iPhone 13 mini, but as you may already know, there won’t be a 14 mini next september, so it makes sense to buy now.

Reactions: MacLappy

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I got the 13 pro max recently and love it. Best iPhone I’ve owned to date. If you need or want a new phone now then i‘d say get it.

Reactions: MacLappy

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I would go ahead and get the 13 PM in your situation. If you keep phones for 5 years, then the relative difference between the 13 and 14 will be small as time passes by. Additionally, rumor is that the 14s will be using the same processor as the 13s.

Rumor has it that the Pro series will be the using the new processor while the non pro series will be using the same processor in the 13.

Reactions: Mark Stone

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I was one of the dumb ones who swore I’d keep my 11 Pro Max. Then I lost my jailbreak. So figured why not trade it for $700 off. The 13 Pro Max I got had a good screen and no minor damage.

If you want to wait, wait. If you want to buy, buy. However, I’m the type to get a new device months after first release so I’ve gotten less defects.

Launch day never worked out for me.

I don’t want to lose my jailbreak on my 12PM, so I held off upgrading to the 13PM last year. My 12PM is still hanging in there with 84% battery life. I carry a charger box to top up when I need to. I will be upgrading to the 14PM, so I’ll be unjailbroken on that until it comes out for iOS 16.

Reactions: Septembersrain

radiuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
So the rumored camera jump from 12MP to 48MP sounds good and all but how much of a difference will this really make for photos and videos? More pixels doesn´t necessarily mean better images but of course it´s nice to have.
Any guesses if Apple will improve the night mode and low light photography in general on the 14 model? That is something that i think would tip the scale for me to wait for iPhone 14 if they can improve even more in this area.

I still havn´t decided what to do yet but i am leaning towards waiting until september.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
So the rumored camera jump from 12MP to 48MP sounds good and all but how much of a difference will this really make for photos and videos? More pixels doesn´t necessarily mean better images but of course it´s nice to have.
Any guesses if Apple will improve the night mode and low light photography in general on the 14 model? That is something that i think would tip the scale for me to wait for iPhone 14 if they can improve even more in this area.

I still havn´t decided what to do yet but i am leaning towards waiting until september.
The upgrade is likely more a result of wanting hi-resolution video with good capabilities. Still images are a secondary thought.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

It should as it will pixel bin from 48mp to 12mp. The real difference will be a far bigger main sensor which should give better detail and more light

Reactions: TVreporter

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Im waiting to see the 14 release. like you I tend to hold on to my devices 4-5 years and im thinking if the 14 introduces a whole new design language (replacing notch for pill/puch hole) then id Best Buy the model that has a design that is likely to stick around for the coming 5 years. I see no sense buying a 13pro max now if the notch display is beginning its phasing out in a few months with the 14pm.

This and the rumour that a 6.7" 14 max (non pro) could be part of the lineup. Sept looks interesting so im prepared to hold off for now

This is the same spot I'm in - have been driving an XR for 3-4 years now, but would really get some mileage out of a bigger screen. Don't think I'd take much advantage of the features the 13 pro max offers though, so am very interested in seeing if a larger "14 Max" (6.7") comes out.

Reactions: con500

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well, that’s it too. Never buy the first year of a new model.. you know you’ll have problems.., especially with Apple
Nah you no longer have to wait a full year. By the time they release the spring color they usually have ironed out their hardware blips. Last year I got a 12 mini near launch. Also got the 12 Pro Max. When the 12 mini in purple came out in spring, I got that as a Mother’s Day gift.

The launch day phones had really ugly display issues when viewing content in a darkened room. The displays would glow a sickening green color. But my spring 12 mini has a perfect display.

My launch day 13 Pro Max had a terrible camera lag. I had to stop using the phone due to it causing me migraines so I don’t know if that’s a software issue that got fixed or a hardware issue that persists.

If I trade it in for a 14 of some sort, I plan to wait for spring. So I won’t miss out on any new colors and to see all the bugs get squashed. iPhone 15 rumors should also start leaking by then to give me an idea if I want to wait for the spring iphone 15 model.

Also for me, a pwm induced migraine sufferers, waiting gives me a chance to get an idea if I can even use the new models. I was an idiot to trade my 12 Pro Max for the 13 Pro in the fall but I was so sick of that green glowy ugly display that I traded one problem in for another.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First, I said greater considersation. As for codecs, it is abundantly clear that the iPhone falls behind some of its Android counterparts. This is both in Bluetooth and wired. AptX-HD in many instances is a better codec for various music files than AAC (for blue tooth). For 24/96 files, - iPhone is not equip to play them (best I recall) directly. Instead, if it can, it will convert* them to perhaps 24/48 which is good but not all conversions are the same in quality. Should we go on? If I want to handle 24/96 files, I would have to plug the phone into an external DAC which is then engaging the headset.

For me, as I said, I would like to see a better take on hi rez/lossless files and that is for wired and blue tooth.

Lol APTX-HD lol.

You got your facts wrong about aac. You’re quoting specs from year 1 of aac from iTunes.
I’ve coded 320KBPS 24 for aac.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
I had a bit of a change of heart here. Have been doing some reading/research and between the high likelihood of a prospective 14 lineup offering incremental upgrades at best (a CPU bump and switch to pill/hole vis-a-vis a notch don't really register for me), not wanting to be a launch-day guinea pig and my carrier (Verizon) offering a boatload for my XR ($800 - damn near what I paid when I bought it unlocked from Apple 3yrs ago), am going to upgrade to a 13 PM in Sierra Blue.

• Wow
Reactions: TVreporter

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I had a bit of a change of heart here. Have been doing some reading/research and between the high likelihood of a prospective 14 lineup offering incremental upgrades at best (a CPU bump and switch to pill/hole vis-a-vis a notch don't really register for me), not wanting to be a launch-day guinea pig and my carrier (Verizon) offering a boatload for my XR ($800 - damn near what I paid when I bought it unlocked from Apple 3yrs ago), am going to upgrade to a 13 PM in Sierra Blue.

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones that still have their launch day 12 Pro Max and still on 14.1 (I’m jailbroken) without any issues.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Lol APTX-HD lol.

You got your facts wrong about aac. You’re quoting specs from year 1 of aac from iTunes.
I’ve coded 320KBPS 24 for aac.
Chuckle all you want. You sound like a fanboi. 320 vs over 500...continue laughing and maybe its your ears that are in question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.