Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I think I am gonna upgrade to the Mini 6 today. Am I stupid or smart for doing this? I am not unhappy with the Mini 5 but I would like the all screen display.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
In landscape, yes…which is far less noticeable
My Mini 5 doesn't exhibit jellyscrolling (portrait or landscape)... but I can see it on the Mini 6.

@jwolf6589, one thing to consider are the accessories. Do you currently use the Apple Pencil with your Mini 5? If so, then you'll need to get the Apple Pencil 2 to work with the Mini 6. Also, do you use an Apple smart cover? If so, make sure that you'll be satisfied with the smart folio for the Mini 6. Apple doesn't make a smart cover for the Mini 6.

In general, going from the Mini 5 to the 6 is going to cost more... not just for the device itself but the peripherals and accessories are more expensive as well.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
My Mini 5 doesn't exhibit jellyscrolling (portrait or landscape)... but I can see it on the Mini 6.

@jwolf6589, one thing to consider are the accessories. Do you currently use the Apple Pencil with your Mini 5? If so, then you'll need to get the Apple Pencil 2 to work with the Mini 6. Also, do you use an Apple smart cover? If so, make sure that you'll be satisfied with the smart folio for the Mini 6. Apple doesn't make a smart cover for the Mini 6.

In general, going from the Mini 5 to the 6 is going to cost more... not just for the device itself but the peripherals and accessories are more expensive as well.
I don’t use any accessories except a screen protector and case. I just want the larger screen size because I use my Mini 5 for book reading, web surfing, browsing photos, and watching movies on long plane rides to Alaska. Perhaps I will be fine.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don’t use any accessories except a screen protector and case. I just want the larger screen size because I use my Mini 5 for book reading, web surfing, browsing photos, and watching movies on long plane rides to Alaska. Perhaps I will be fine.
Sounds like the Mini 6 will be fine for you (as long as you aren't bothered by the jellyscrolling).

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I have both the 5 and the 6 in my family. The screen size is not all that different. And I'd rather have the larger bezels on the 5 which make the device easier to hold.

The 6 is faster though and uses Pencil 2. Ah, if you have been using Apple Pencil you will need to buy version 2 for the mini 6.

I think both devices are good.

Reactions: Panther61

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Make sure to test a good bit at home as well. Best Buy store lighting as well Apple's lighting doesn't really allow you to experience the screen as you normally would. As such, you may not see it right away.
Good point. I won’t sell my mini 5 until the test is complete.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Reading and watching movies are not affected by the Jelly Scroll. Scrolling photos or web pages might be visible. You should test it out. I mostly don’t notice it and even when I do, it isn’t a big deal to me.

Reactions: jwolf6589

Mactech20

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2021
The last iPad I had was an original iPad mini 1. I liked it but when it got unsupported it was pretty worthless. I just bought the iPad mini 6 and let me tell you I am REALLY impressed. I'm super picky with products, have returned over half of what I buy from Apple but it is really nice. The display is an excellent reason to upgrade. It is gorgeous and looks great imo. No jelly scroll issues for me either. If you go to best buy make sure to price match Amazon. Got a 256 model for $550.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.