Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Clarke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Portland, Oregon, USA
US Holidays is listed in Calendars under Other, it says Subscribed underneath it, and it is checked, but there are no holidays showing in the calendar.

I'm on an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.1

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
US Holidays is listed in Calendars under Other, it says Subscribed underneath it, and it is checked, but there are no holidays showing in the calendar.

Same for the UK calendar. I had it disappear from my iOS calendars but it was still working on my Mac and even showing there under my calendars (other). Than it also disappeared from my Mac after I tried to turn it off and back on in preferences. Annoying bug that started for me 2 days ago, must be icloud related. :(

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011

I have almost the same issue. I did a clean install to iOS 8.1.1 on iPhone 5s. The US holiday calendar used to be under "other" but now it disappeared. Pull down to refresh does not make it re-appear. Resetting the iPhone does not help either. Under mail, contact and calendar setting, there is still setting for Holiday calendar (fetch vs manual). That seems to suggest that Apple does not intentionally remove it from iOS. So I guess this is a bug either in iOS 8.1.1 or on Apple end.

The holiday calendar works on OS X Yosemite without problem. I can check and uncheck the US holiday calendar in preference it disappear and shows up back as expected.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011

I did further exploration on this issue. When iOS 8.1 rolled out, I did a clean install and the holiday calendar was there. Today, I restored my iPhone to iOS 8.1 again and the holiday calendar was not there. This seems to suggest that it is likely to be the problem on how Apple maintain those calendars, not a problem on iOS 8.1 or 8.1.1.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
At the bottom of the calendar hit calendars and make sure this is checked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 603

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I have almost the same issue. I did a clean install to iOS 8.1.1 on iPhone 5s. The US holiday calendar used to be under "other" but now it disappeared. Pull down to refresh does not make it re-appear. Resetting the iPhone does not help either. Under mail, contact and calendar setting, there is still setting for Holiday calendar (fetch vs manual). That seems to suggest that Apple does not intentionally remove it from iOS. So I guess this is a bug either in iOS 8.1.1 or on Apple end.

The holiday calendar works on OS X Yosemite without problem. I can check and uncheck the US holiday calendar in preference it disappear and shows up back as expected.

Lucky, mine also dissapeared from my Mac after I try to uncheck it in preferences.

----------

At the bottom of the calendar hit calendars and make sure this is checked.

We don't have this option anymore, it is not even showing. That is the problem we try to describe. Are you on 8.1.1?

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
Lucky, mine also dissapeared from my Mac after I try to uncheck it in preferences.

----------

We don't have this option anymore, it is not even showing. That is the problem we try to describe. Are you on 8.1.1?

I am on iOS 8.1.1. I also tried to restore to iOS 8.1 and the holiday calendar was still not there. I clearly remember a few weeks ago when I did a restore to iOS 8.1, the holiday calendar was there. In fact, if I restore the phone to the back up I made on that day, I still have the US holiday calendar. This seems to suggest that it is probably not an iOS fault. It might be the way how apple host the calendar. But I don't have much knowledge how this actual works so it is just a guess.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

----------

Hmm I'm on 8.1.1 and have my holiday option showing (ok Swiss holidays but I am in Switzerland and have my iPhone localised there).

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I am on iOS 8.1.1. I also tried to restore to iOS 8.1 and the holiday calendar was still not there. I clearly remember a few weeks ago when I did a restore to iOS 8.1, the holiday calendar was there. In fact, if I restore the phone to the back up I made on that day, I still have the US holiday calendar. This seems to suggest that it is probably not an iOS fault. It might be the way how apple host the calendar. But I don't have much knowledge how this actual works so it is just a guess.

Yeah must be some iCloud sync bug or something. Annoying

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I can add and remove the holidays from my Mac calendar but I haven't found a way from the iCloud interface or from the iPhone.

holidays.jpg

The other way is to do it from your Mac calendar by opening the calendar and going to the toolbar
Calendar > File > New Calendar Subscription
Then add this link:
webcal://files.apple.com/calendars/US32Holidays.ics

You can also add other calendars using that function. There are lots of sites with all different types of calendars.

Yuck Mouth

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2007
I don't know what to tell you. I had this same issue with my iphone 6+ for a week or 2 after i bought it. My claendars showed up on my iPad and my iPod Touch but not on my iPhone. I kept playing around with the settings until one day the holidays showed up on my phone.

Only thing I can suggest is to uncheck and recheck the holiday calendar occasionally maybe they'll show. Thats the last thing I remember doing before they showed.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I can add and remove the holidays from my Mac calendar but I haven't found a way from the iCloud interface or from the iPhone.

View attachment 516475

The other way is to do it from your Mac calendar by opening the calendar and going to the toolbar
Calendar > File > New Calendar Subscription
Then add this link:
webcal://files.apple.com/calendars/US32Holidays.ics

You can also add other calendars using that function. There are lots of sites with all different types of calendars.

Thanks for the link provided. The issue is that these links don't seem to be the ones Apple use natively. The one you posted is from apples iCal website I believe. I'm not really sure what the difference is.

For those with a missing US calendar the correct/standard subscription link is:
https://p24-calendars.icloud.com/holiday/US_en.ics

(http://osxdaily.com/2014/04/10/show-holidays-calendar-ios/)

Can someone with a working UK calendar check their subscription and copy the link here. I can't find it anywhere but I know it starts with https://p11 or p21-........

Last edited:

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
So what worked for me was selecting "on my iPhone" within the calendars tab. I didn't have it selected before and that was the problem.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
So what worked for me was selecting "on my iPhone" within the calendars tab. I didn't have it selected before and that was the problem.

Where are these settings? Are you talking about settings on iPhone or on iCloud or on the mac?

Mr1ntu05

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011

I also would like to find this setting. Please assist us. Don't have holidays on the iPhone 6; nor my Mac.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I also would like to find this setting. Please assist us. Don't have holidays on the iPhone 6; nor my Mac.
I was under the assumption that you all were speaking about the calendar on the iPhone. I fixed that setting in the calendar app on my iPhone 6. Hope it helps.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I was under the assumption that you all were speaking about the calendar on the iPhone. I fixed that setting in the calendar app on my iPhone 6. Hope it helps.

Yes, we are talking about the Calendar app on iPhone. But I cannot find the "on my phone" setting anywhere in the Calendar app. Would you give us more details? Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.