Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
@joevt @flowrider for the 1388C, does this mean I won't be able to use it in slot 3 or 4? And if I can, how would this affect speed per ports? (cMP 5,1). How does this affect a x8 card like the RocketU 1244A in comparison?

I'm between getting this one / different highpoint, or the Sonnet Allegro Pro, but the latest Allegro Pros seem to share two controllers instead of a dedicated one per port
PCIe cards work in any slot. They negotiate link width and link speed to the lowest common denominator.

A PCIe 3.0 x16 card in a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot (Slot 3 or Slot 4 in a MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1) will be limited to PCIe 2.0 x4 speed.

PCIe 2.0 x4 can do ≈1600 MB/s. That's more than enough for a single USB 3.1 gen 2 port (≈1060 MB/s) so you shouldn't have a problem.

You'll only be limited to ≈1600 MB/s if you try to read or write to multiple USB 3.1 gen 2 devices at the same time, such as with a RAID 0 or with the ATTO Disk Benchmark.app test of multiple drives at the same time (which doesn't require a RAID 0 to test multiple drives at the same time).

A PCIe 3.0 x16 card in a PCIe 1.0 x4 slot (Slot 3 or Slot 4 in a MacPro3,1) will be limited to PCIe 1.0 x4 speed (≈750 MB/s).

A PCIe 3.0 x2 card in Slot 3 or Slot 4 in a MacPro3,1 will actually be limited to x1 link width but we don't have to worry about that with these PCIe cards that have a PCIe x4 upstream link.

Reactions: KingCachapa

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Just as an info Inateck KU5211 (USB 3.2 Gen 2 PCIe Card with 3 USB-A & 2 USB-C Ports) works great in cMP 5.1 DP in macOS Catalina 10.15.7. This OS version is for me the fastest and the most stable macOS / OS X version ever.

KingCachapa

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2020
Hi team, I picked up a Rocket1244A. I'll follow up with confirmation but I expect it to work well. Since I noticed it still says "untested" on the front page of this thread, let me know if there's anything specific I can run for you so we can add it as confirmed if it's the case.

Follow-up question in the meantime: I'm looking for the fastest possible desktop USB A connected hub. I'm thinking about this one -> Anker 10 port <- They say SuperSpeed is possible but they state "only" 5g speeds. Why can't I find anything at SS+ speeds to match the USB card for example? (non-C and non-Thunderbolt, but I guess I could pick up a C one and jus use an adapter?)

Thanks for any input or any insight as to speed limitations through a HUB for our cMPs

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi team, I picked up a Rocket1244A. I'll follow up with confirmation but I expect it to work well. Since I noticed it still says "untested" on the front page of this thread, let me know if there's anything specific I can run for you so we can add it as confirmed if it's the case.

Follow-up question in the meantime: I'm looking for the fastest possible desktop USB A connected hub. I'm thinking about this one -> Anker 10 port <- They say SuperSpeed is possible but they state "only" 5g speeds. Why can't I find anything at SS+ speeds to match the USB card for example? (non-C and non-Thunderbolt, but I guess I could pick up a C one and jus use an adapter?)

Thanks for any input or any insight as to speed limitations through a HUB for our cMPs
I would like to see the following:
- output from pcitree.sh
- AmorphousDiskMark.app test of a USB NVMe.
- ATTO Disk Benchmark.app of four USB NVMe (or however many you have to saturate the bandwidth). Do you have a MacPro5,1 or a MacPro7,1? I expect 4000 MB/s in a MacPro7,1 and 3500 MB/s in a MacPro5,1.

I think you should find a powered USB-C one that has a detachable cable so you can connect a USB-A to USB-C cable. I think performance to USB 3.1 gen 2 hubs is pretty good - it doesn't drop the performance of a 1060 MB/s USB NVMe by much. For example, a gen 4 NVMe in a SIIG Gen 2x2 enclosure (running at Gen 2x1) does 1047 MB/s (read) connected directly to a Mac mini 2018. When connected to the USB hub of a HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, it gets 1003 MB/s.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-additional-usb-c-ports.2279554/post-29490160

A Thunderbolt 4 hub can be used as a USB hub. For example, if I connect the NVMe to a CalDigit Element Hub which is connected to the USB hub of the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, then I get 989 MB/s (that's going through two hubs and Thunderbolt). The Element hub has one hub connected to another internally. And I could connect the CalDigit SOHO which is another USB 10 Gbps hub. That would be 4 hubs and Thunderbolt, but the SIIG doesn't like some USB connections (not enough power?). I do have a couple other USB NVMe's I could test.

KingCachapa

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2020
I would like to see the following:
- output from pcitree.sh
- ATTO Disk Benchmark.app of four USB NVMe (or however many you have to saturate the bandwidth). Do you have a MacPro5,1 or a MacPro7,1? I expect 4000 MB/s in a MacPro7,1 and 3500 MB/s in a MacPro5,1.

I think you should find a powered USB-C one that has a detachable cable so you can connect a USB-A to USB-C cable. I think performance to USB 3.1 gen 2 hubs is pretty good - it doesn't drop the performance of a 1060 MB/s USB NVMe by much. For example, a gen 4 NVMe in a SIIG Gen 2x2 enclosure (running at Gen 2x1) does 1047 MB/s (read) connected directly to a Mac mini 2018. When connected to the USB hub of a HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, it gets 1003 MB/s.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-additional-usb-c-ports.2279554/post-29490160

A Thunderbolt 4 hub can be used as a USB hub. For example, if I connect the NVMe to a CalDigit Element Hub which is connected to the USB hub of the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, then I get 989 MB/s (that's going through two hubs and Thunderbolt). The Element hub has one hub connected to another internally. And I could connect the CalDigit SOHO which is another USB 10 Gbps hub. That would be 4 hubs and Thunderbolt, but the SIIG doesn't like some USB connections (not enough power?). I do have a couple other USB NVMe's I could test.

Thanks for all the good info @joevt ! Unfortunately I don't have thunderbolt and for my needs for now, this setup is good. I'll get to Tbolt eventually :p

I have a few direct USB A<->C high speed cables that I connect drives to for inbound data, connected directly to the Highpoint card.
I want to dedicate 1 slot of the highpoint card for a desktop dock, and definitely want to make the best use of that but I'm still unsure which dock to get. Thanks for that link and the usb c with cable swap recommendation.

- output from pcitree.sh

will update this post and follow up with this

will update this post and follow up with this

On a 5,1 2.93 12core. I'm currently working on some things and the card is in slot 4 (GPU and quad nvme card in slot 1 & 2 and need to be there normally), so speeds are gonna be capped until I have a little time to play with it in one of the x16 slots.

While I do have 4 nvme drives in the pcie card in use, I have a 500GB Samsung 970 in an external enclosure that I can connect via USB C <-> USB A to the Highpoint card. I don't have any other external nvme connections / cases though. Right now with slot #4 caps this connection is giving me very close to 900MB/s consistent (during testing) read & write.

Upwards of 800MB/s with a SanDisk Extreme Pro (those orange and grey ones, advertise around 1050MB/s which I'm sure is closer to where it's at connected to a more current sytem / laptop).

My internal PCIe quad card NVMEs come in at 2300-2700MB/s (Sabrent Rocket x2 and 970 Evo Plus x2) should they be faster?

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Unfortunately I don't have thunderbolt and for my needs for now, this setup is good. I'll get to Tbolt eventually :p
You don't need Thunderbolt. I just mentioned it because the USB hub was at the end of a Thunderbolt chain - the hub would probably perform better if it's not at the end of a Thunderbolt chain (so between 1003 MB/s and 1047 MB/s in my example test). A Thunderbolt 4 hub/dock does not require Thunderbolt - they can be used as a USB hub/dock without Thunderbolt. The CalDigit Element Hub gives you seven 10 Gbps USB ports when used as a USB hub.

On a 5,1 2.93 12core. I'm currently working on some things and the card is in slot 4 (GPU and quad nvme card in slot 1 & 2 and need to be there normally), so speeds are gonna be capped until I have a little time to play with it in one of the x16 slots.

While I do have 4 nvme drives in the pcie card in use, I have a 500GB Samsung 970 in an external enclosure that I can connect via USB C <-> USB A to the Highpoint card. I don't have any other external nvme connections / cases though. Right now with slot #4 caps this connection is giving me very close to 900MB/s consistent (during testing) read & write.

Upwards of 800MB/s with a SanDisk Extreme Pro (those orange and grey ones, advertise around 1050MB/s which I'm sure is closer to where it's at connected to a more current sytem / laptop).
I don't think slot #4 should cap anything - it's a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot so you should be able to get closer to 1000 MB/s (up to 1600 MB/s for two USB NVMe devices). Maybe AmorphousDiskMark.app would give you better numbers. It doesn't look like you're having a PCIe link rate issue since 900 MB/s is more than would be expected from a 2.5 GT/s link rate (750 MB/s). My MacPro3,1 can get 1025 MB/s (using slot 2 -> Netstor NA255A -> GC-TITAN RIDGE).

My internal PCIe quad card NVMEs come in at 2300-2700MB/s (Sabrent Rocket x2 and 970 Evo Plus x2) should they be faster?
It depends on the NVMe and benchmark. On my MacPro3,1 with HighPoint SSD7505 in slot 2, I can get these read speeds in ATTO Disk Benchmark.app:
2470 MB/s Samsung 950 Pro 512MB. (2593 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
2939 MB/s Samsung 960 Pro 1TB. (3160 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
3025 MB/s XPGSX8200 Pro 2TB. (3229 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
5041 MB/s Sabrent 4.0 2TB. (4999 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
6333 MB/s max total (ATTO Disk Benchmark can do multiple disks at once so you can measure bandwidth limits without creating a RAID 0).

KingCachapa

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2020
You don't need Thunderbolt. I just mentioned it because the USB hub was at the end of a Thunderbolt chain - the hub would probably perform better if it's not at the end of a Thunderbolt chain (so between 1003 MB/s and 1047 MB/s in my example test). A Thunderbolt 4 hub/dock does not require Thunderbolt - they can be used as a USB hub/dock without Thunderbolt. The CalDigit Element Hub gives you seven 10 Gbps USB ports when used as a USB hub.
Ohhh this is great news, I was trying to figure out if this was the case, thank you for clearing that up.
I've been using a 3.0 hub from Anker until now. So I can pick up a Thunderbolt 4 hub/dock and just use a C <-> A into the Highpoint 1244A, and I should have better results?

I'm trying to understand how connecting a device to a Thunderbolt hub that is then connected to the Highpoint USB card, is faster than a device connected directly to the card with just C<->A cable.
Is it because of the cable conversion? If so, isn't the same happening at the end of the chain when you then connect the hub to the cMP (cable conversion from C to A for example).

I don't think slot #4 should cap anything - it's a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot so you should be able to get closer to 1000 MB/s (up to 1600 MB/s for two USB NVMe devices). Maybe AmorphousDiskMark.app would give you better numbers. It doesn't look like you're having a PCIe link rate issue since 900 MB/s is more than would be expected from a 2.5 GT/s link rate (750 MB/s). My MacPro3,1 can get 1025 MB/s (using slot 2 -> Netstor NA255A -> GC-TITAN RIDGE).

Interesting, I thought it would cap a bit since the Highpoint 1244A is a x8 card and it's in a x4 slot. Just making sure you saw that bit. Am I missing something or are you getting those slightly higher speeds because of using a titan ridge card?

Bonus question, what else do you have in that Netstor? I'm curious about how slot 2 bandwidth gets divvied up and what we can get away with on our systems using something like that.

edit: found this about how this works with a 2019 Mac Pro and mentions the cMPs at the end
->https://barefeats.com/mac-pro-2019-na255a-pcie-expansion.html

It depends on the NVMe and benchmark. On my MacPro3,1 with HighPoint SSD7505 in slot 2, I can get these read speeds in ATTO Disk Benchmark.app:
2470 MB/s Samsung 950 Pro 512MB. (2593 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
2939 MB/s Samsung 960 Pro 1TB. (3160 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
3025 MB/s XPGSX8200 Pro 2TB. (3229 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
5041 MB/s Sabrent 4.0 2TB. (4999 MB/s AmorphousDiskMark.app)
6333 MB/s max total (ATTO Disk Benchmark can do multiple disks at once so you can measure bandwidth limits without creating a RAID 0).

These are pretty great speeds! I thought I had a good card? It's the Amfeltec Squid x4. I know this last bit is getting a bit off-topic for this thread but if you don't mind - what should I look into to make sure I'm tapping into the full potential of this card / nvmes? My Sabrent 4TB is def not pulling those speeds!

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Ohhh this is great news, I was trying to figure out if this was the case, thank you for clearing that up.
I've been using a 3.0 hub from Anker until now. So I can pick up a Thunderbolt 4 hub/dock and just use a C <-> A into the Highpoint 1244A, and I should have better results?
Yes. Thunderbolt 4 hubs/docks will usually have some USB 10 Gbps ports (check specs to see how many). They are generally more expensive than USB-C hub/docks though.

For another test, I connected the CalDigit Element Hub to the USB-C port of a Radeon Pro W7500 in an eGPU connected to my Mac mini 2018. I got 914 MB/s ((that's going through one hub, the Element Hub, and Thunderbolt - since the W5700 is connected via Thunderbolt). The W7500 does not have Thunderbolt, just like the USB-C port of the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2. The W5700 uses an AMD XHCI controller, not an Intel XHCI controller that is part of the Thunderbolt controller, just like the ASMedia 3142 in the Rocket1244A is not Intel.

I'm trying to understand how connecting a device to a Thunderbolt hub that is then connected to the Highpoint USB card, is faster than a device connected directly to the card with just C<->A cable.
What did I say that gave you that incorrect conclusion? My tests show that the longer the hub chain (and Thunderbolt chain), the slower the bandwidth. But it's not a lot slower, so a hub is good for adding more ports.

Your tests are using different NVMe and benchmarks so you can't compare them to mine.

Interesting, I thought it would cap a bit since the Highpoint 1244A is a x8 card and it's in a x4 slot.
There's no cap if you're only reading or writing to one USB at a time, since USB 10 Gbps (≈1000 MB/s) is less than PCIe 2.0 x4 (≈1600 MB/s).

Just making sure you saw that bit. Am I missing something or are you getting those slightly higher speeds because of using a titan ridge card?
I suppose different XHCI controllers may have differing performance. For example the USB4 ports of the M1 Macs do not perform as well for USB devices as Intel's Thunderbolt ports. The ASM1142 can only do 8 Gbps. The M1 iMacs with separate USB ports have an ASM3142 that performs better than both of those. The AMD XHCI might not be as good as the ASM3142 but it's better than the ASM1142 and maybe the M1.

Between the ASM3142, ASM3242, Alpine Ridge, Titan Ridge, Maple Ridge, we can't know for sure which is best without using the same device and benchmark for all tests. The difference is probably not noticeable in every day use.

Bonus question, what else do you have in that Netstor? I'm curious about how slot 2 bandwidth gets divvied up and what we can get away with on our systems using something like that.
GC-ALPINE RIDGE, GC-TITAN RIDGE, ThunderboltEX 4, Titan X (Maxwell) currently not being used. I use the Netstor for easily accessible slots. Also, I can get full speed from PCIe 3.0 devices, up to x8, since the PCIe 2.0 x16 host slot has similar bandwidth. Bandwidth is not divided. It is shared. A device that isn't being used doesn't take any bandwidth. PCIe packets have limited length, so no one device can take all bandwidth. It's similar to Ethernet and USB.

Other benefits : the slots are wide, and there's PCIe power (300W) for each slot, so testing or changing GPUs is super easy.

These are pretty great speeds! I thought I had a good card? It's the Amfeltec Squid x4. I know this last bit is getting a bit off-topic for this thread but if you don't mind - what should I look into to make sure I'm tapping into the full potential of this card / nvmes? My Sabrent 4TB is def not pulling those speeds!
I think you should be happy with your speeds since you probably wouldn't notice the difference if you had faster NVMe drives. If your using Black Magic Speed Test, then try ATTO Disk Benchmark or AmorphousDiskMark which will show higher numbers.

My card has a gen 4 PCIe switch so it can allow gen 4 NVMe to perform at full speed. But even with your card that has gen 3 PCIe switch, a gen 4 NVMe will probably perform better than your current gen 3 NVMe.

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
Highpoint RocketU 1344D

Installed card in slot 4 of my cMP 5,1. Used Aux A power to connect to the card. Mac Pro did not boot, no chime, nothing. Disconnected the Aux A power, same result, no chime, no boot. Removed card boots no problem. Nothing in syslog, too early in the boot process. Latest Mojave patches. Any clues? Nothing on the highpoint support page. RMA?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Highpoint RocketU 1344D

Installed card in slot 4 of my cMP 5,1. Used Aux A power to connect to the card. Mac Pro did not boot, no chime, nothing. Disconnected the Aux A power, same result, no chime, no boot. Removed card boots no problem. Nothing in syslog, too early in the boot process. Latest Mojave patches. Any clues? Nothing on the highpoint support page. RMA?
The web page for the 1344D says it's compatible with MacPro5,1 so it should work.
https://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ru1344d-overview.html

Aux A power is one of the 6 pin PCIe power connectors (usually for the GPU)?

Does it work in any other computer? Or a Thunderbolt PCIe expansion for a Mac that doesn't have a PCIe slot?

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
Agree with web page. Did a Pixlas mod so there should be no stress on the Aux power. No other computers to test with. Also tested with and without the Aux power connected.
Thanks

Edit: Changed slots, works,

Last edited:

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I just installed Inateck KT4004 in my Mac Pro 5,1 running Sierra. Works but looks like at USB 2 speed. System report says "Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec" under USB video (USB 3.0 Bus). I tried recording video in 1080p in OBS over HDMI to USB 3 capture card that works on MacOS and it worked but a lot of frames dropped. Video unusable.

I tried it in PCI slot 2 and 3, same results.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Nevermind my last Post. Looks like the $40 capture card bought on Amazon was running at USB 2 speeds despite being listed as USB 3.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
OK now im wondering if both the USB 3 card and capture card work fine but the USB card isn't giving the capture card enough power. They were both rated well for Macs.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
OK now im wondering if both the USB 3 card and capture card work fine but the USB card isn't giving the capture card enough power. They were both rated well for Macs.
You didn't say what the USB capture card was. You say its USB 2.0 in one post and USB 3.0 in the next. Do you have more than one USB capture card?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
So, I've been rockin' a Vantec UGT-PC371AC for a few years, now, and really haven't put it through any Real testing.

When BestBuy put the WD Easystore 14tb on sale, I grabbed a handful.

Four went into my new Synology DS920+, and one I kept in the oyster for (potential) offsite.

It's a USB 3.0-rated drive, and the performance validates that, even when connected to the USB-A port on the UGT-PC371AC

The Easystore is recognized in BS when connected, thus.

I finally got a 3.1 Gen2 Hub (Inland from MC; Powered), and connected it to the UGT-PC371AC

When I plug the Easystore via (both -A and -C) into the Hub, the Easystore does not connect to my MP

I returned the Inland, and purchased a StarTech HB31C3A1CS 3.1 Gen2 (powered; 3-port -A, and 1-port -C).

The Easystore is not recognized on my MP on any port.

I have a NVME -C external, and even *that* is not recognized on my MP when connected to the Hub ;/

I then purchased a 3.1 Gen2 enclosure, de-oystered the Easystore, installed the bare-drive into the enclosure, and--while I get a boost in R/W speeds when connected directly to the Vantec--the drive is *still* not recognized attached to the Hub!

I searched the interwebs for days, and I get no hits on why a USB3 External would not connect when plugged into a powered 3.1 Gen2 hub

I can easily connect it to the -A port on the Vantec (and keep the Hub on the -C port for other, various things), but the whole point of a Hub is to make it available on the frontside (no reach-around fiddling <smile>).

I do not currently have a PC available for testing.

Is this an OS X thing, OC or just . . . .

I am absolutely baffled ;)

Any thoughts?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Any thoughts?
Did you check if the USB hubs were detected? Do they support any USB 3.0 or 2.0 or 1.1 devices?
What chips do the USB hubs use?
Did you try different macOS versions?

I have a ASM1142 USB controller (1b21:1242) in my Mac Pro 2008 (it's a CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Plus). The only USB 3.1 gen 2 hub I have is a Thunderbolt 4 hub (CalDigit Element Hub) but it works with USB hosts (non-Thunderbolt) as well. I can connect USB devices to the hub and they all seem to work. I'm using Catalina without OpenCore.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
(Inland has been returned)

Vantec UGT-PC371AC is seen as (1b21:1242)

The StarTech HB31C3A1CS [chip spec is Realtek - RTS5423] is seen as (14b0:012d)

The Vantec NextStar 3.1 NST-37OA31-BK enclosure is only seen as (174c:1351) when connected directly to the pci-e card (same as the Factory Easystore ext.).

The Vantec NST-205C3-SG nvme does not connect through the Hub, and only directly attached to the UGT-PC371AC.

Only BS(OC) on the MP; I have not tried it on my MBP (BS(Native)) . . . will try that later, to rule-out OC

Strange that some thumb drives are visible when plugged into the ST hub (various 2.0), and others are not (a Memorex 3.1, for one). I get no connect with any external enclosure I have.

Thought I might have some setting(s) in OSX that needed adjustment.

Just strange.

Thanks Joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.