Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Was thinking how great it will be to have a USB-C iPhone 15 next year. One cable to rule them all, etc. But then I just took a flight and realized it will take airlines probably another 10 years or more to swap out all the USB-A ports on seats for USB-C ports...

:(

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yep, that's what will need to be done. So much for only having to carry USB-C-to-USB-C cables...

Airplanes don't have lightning ports either - it's not like you're having to carry an additional cable. Just a different one. :) I use the charger with the power port anyway. As you said, it'll be a long time before you USB-C becomes common on airplanes.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Doesn’t everybody bring a power bank? I typically carry a 30,000 mAh one.

No way I’d plug into an unknown quality USB outlet. At least bring the power adapter so you get properly filtered output. All airliners have that 120V outlet.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Airplanes don't have lightning ports either - it's not like you're having to carry an additional cable. Just a different one. :) I use the charger with the power port anyway. As you said, it'll be a long time before you USB-C becomes common on airplanes.
Or carry an A>C Adapter if you don't want a second cable.

• Love
Reactions: chabig

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Doesn’t everybody bring a power bank? I typically carry a 30,000 mAh one.

No way I’d plug into an unknown quality USB outlet. At least bring the power adapter so you get properly filtered output. All airliners have that 120V outlet.
Can you even bring any Power Banks carry on? I don't even think you are allowed to pack over certain Wh in a checked bag.

Reactions: Student of Life

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
By the time USB-C is found everywhere, they’ll have released “USB-Super Awesome And Definitely Better Than C” which will support the newest protocol “USB 7-3.5x5” (UltimateSpeed USB) as well as “Magical Power Delivery Fast Charging Ultra.”

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Well, if you're not a frequent flyer, surely you can put up with carrying one whole extra cable with you for one day. And if you are flying a lot, you already know what to expect...

Reactions: tranceking26

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Why would they have lightning ports? Chargers aren’t lightning to lightning.
Can you even bring any Power Banks carry on? I don't even think you are allowed to pack over certain Wh in a checked bag.
You can’t check lithium batteries. You have to carry them on with you.

K4VKS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
By the time USB-C is found everywhere, they’ll have released “USB-Super Awesome And Definitely Better Than C” which will support the newest protocol “USB 7-3.5x5” (UltimateSpeed USB) as well as “Magical Power Delivery Fast Charging Ultra.”
lol!! You had me rolling😂😂

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
It’s not just planes. Airports, coffee shops, hotels, gym equipment, cars… it’s all USB-A. This ain’t gonna change for another decade at least.

Now when I travel I have to bring lightning, usb-c, micro-usb (for the power bank), and the Apple Watch puck (thanks apple making yet another incompatible charging type).

standards.png

• Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Hotels and Gyms still have the old iPod connector too. I am glad they didn't spend any money to make lighting connectors so that there is less pushback to go to USB-C. I am ok with someday having a future USB-D and USB-E and USB-F but I hope they don't change the connector again.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Why would they have lightning ports? Chargers aren’t lightning to lightning.

Of course, but I was trying to make the point that at least the change to USB-C doesn't require carrying around an additional cable, just a different one. I'll still be happy to see the change, even if the world is slow to move from USB-A ports.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Hotels and Gyms still have the old iPod connector too. I am glad they didn't spend any money to make lighting connectors so that there is less pushback to go to USB-C. I am ok with someday having a future USB-D and USB-E and USB-F but I hope they don't change the connector again.
I dont care if they goto C since it already exists, but not to a new one again. It's was a major pain when they went to Lightning, because it took forever for some things to come out with lightning accessories.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
It is an additional cable. The one cable to rule them all is USB-C to USB-C. If people will have to also bring a USB-A to USB-C cable for travel, then they are having to bring an additional cable.

Reactions: SW3029

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It is an additional cable. The one cable to rule them all is USB-C to USB-C. If people will have to also bring a USB-A to USB-C cable for travel, then they are having to bring an additional cable.

I meant additional cable over what we have today. We're all carrying around lightning cables. But yes, it'll be nice when USB-C to USB-C is all we need!

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.